Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2017 6:18:32 PM EDT
I was just curious to know how these two stack up as far as ruggedness. I understand that Gen3 autogated units are good for dynamic lighting areas such as street lamps, and house lights and night and what not, but would a Gen2 system that is non-gated be okay to use in these circumstances as well? I find myself using my Gen2 PVS-14's more than I do my Gen3 PVS-14 because they seem to do plenty well while preserving my Gen3 for those times only when necessary. One is a NGI GEN2+, and the others are Armasight Gen2+ HD, and Armasight Gen3A. I use my NGI most of the time.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 5:22:32 PM EDT
[#1]
In regards to ruggedness I wouldn't want to drop any Gen NV onto a hard surface, so using a lanyard is paramount. They're built to be used so don't be afraid to do so. If your concerned with using it weapons mounted Thin filmed is not as robust vs thick filmed or filmless. I don't weapons mount mine due to the limitations of that setup but it is rated for 5.56. If you stay within the MFG's recommendations you should be GTG.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 6:40:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In regards to ruggedness I wouldn't want to drop any Gen NV onto a hard surface, so using a lanyard is paramount. They're built to be used so don't be afraid to do so. If your concerned with using it weapons mounted Thin filmed is not as robust vs thick filmed or filmless. I don't weapons mount mine due to the limitations of that setup but it is rated for 5.56. If you stay within the MFG's recommendations you should be GTG.
View Quote
I have no plans to weapon mount. I have a few DBAL's that i use. Also from what I understand, Gen2 has a higher shock rating than 3.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 9:38:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I have no plans to weapon mount. I have a few DBAL's that i use. Also from what I understand, Gen2 has a higher shock rating than 3.
View Quote
For thin filmed from my understanding I'd say yes, but for filmless I'd call TNVC or NGI and ask them. If you get Sam from TNVC on the phone don't mention you have DBALs and ruggedness in the same sentence because that is a whole other thread LOL. He is honest, gives you a no BS opinion, prefers the ATPIAL-C over the I2 and the MAWL-C1+ over anything available to the civilian market.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 12:23:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's usually not rated any higher ( excepting PHOTONIS tubes, which have a higher milspec ) but it is stronger and more resilient to abuse, including brighter light.

In urban areas, Gen2 is pretty close to Gen3. Away from the city, you either need something that is very high-spec Gen2 or high-spec Gen3. 

David. 
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 3:13:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It's usually not rated any higher ( excepting PHOTONIS tubes, which have a higher milspec ) but it is stronger and more resilient to abuse, including brighter light.

In urban areas, Gen2 is pretty close to Gen3. Away from the city, you either need something that is very high-spec Gen2 or high-spec Gen3. 

David. 
View Quote
Both the NGI and the Gen2 Armasight are supposed to be Photonis tubes. How is Gen2 more resilient to bright lights? The difference between the Gen 3 GaAs photocathode and the Gen 2 Multi-Alkali photocathode, or is there more to it than that?
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 6:55:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Both the NGI and the Gen2 Armasight are supposed to be Photonis tubes. How is Gen2 more resilient to bright lights? The difference between the Gen 3 GaAs photocathode and the Gen 2 Multi-Alkali photocathode, or is there more to it than that?
View Quote
Well, it was a bit of a generalization, but Gen2 photocathodes are just a piece of metal, not a semiconductor. Also, the photonis autogating handles full-light use pretty well and I've seen people running them at shows all day without any filters, while everyone else seems to install ND filters to attempt that. 

David. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top