Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2017 3:10:20 PM EDT
Can someone explain what collimated means in regards to buying a second pvs14 to run as a dual setup?
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 3:19:27 PM EDT
[#1]
A collimated beam is one that is usually narrowed or trimmed to meet a certain size parameter.  In x-ray, collimation is used to limit x-ray exposure to the field of view.  In that case collimation is mechanical and adjustable.  

For your application, it may mean a narrowed aperture so the light field is not overlapping the second unit in the chain. 
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 4:25:59 PM EDT
[#2]
It means adjusting them so they aren't cross eyed.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 4:30:13 PM EDT
[#3]
The PVS-14 / ANVIS eyepiece is slightly offset so that when you rotate the whole assembly the center of optical axis shifts. That allows to align to monoculars / a bino so that their optical axes point at the same direction. Perfect alignment may not be possible if the tube has more offset than what the optics allow to adjust for.

This does not mean boresighting, just that the images overlap. They might still point to whichever direction that is not the same as that where your eyes are looking, but your eyes will see the images aligned and not cause eye strain.

After the collimation process you should not switch the sides of the monoculars as that will throw it off. If you have a bridge that has the monoculars in 180 deg rotation in relation to each other - then they can be somewhat collimated in a way that it does not matter on which side you have each of the monos. There is a patent describing the process, but I guess most people with the proper equipment for collimation knows this.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 1:16:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The PVS-14 / ANVIS eyepiece is slightly offset so that when you rotate the whole assembly the center of optical axis shifts. That allows to align to monoculars / a bino so that their optical axes point at the same direction. Perfect alignment may not be possible if the tube has more offset than what the optics allow to adjust for.

This does not mean boresighting, just that the images overlap. They might still point to whichever direction that is not the same as that where your eyes are looking, but your eyes will see the images aligned and not cause eye strain.

After the collimation process you should not switch the sides of the monoculars as that will throw it off. If you have a bridge that has the monoculars in 180 deg rotation in relation to each other - then they can be somewhat collimated in a way that it does not matter on which side you have each of the monos. There is a patent describing the process, but I guess most people with the proper equipment for collimation knows this.
View Quote
This is good info. +1
I hav a Hoffman collimation/boresighted test set and the process to collimate involves using the set with the goggle adapter securing the ANVIS 6/9, dual pvs-14's, or any other dual tube unit andhat uses pvs-14/ANVIS 9 or ANVIS 6 glass with offset element such as sentinels, mod--3 dual tube units, ect. To the test set and use the projected retcles that the test set projects into each tube to align thevoptical axis of each side of the unit. The set projects a crosshair reticle inside of a circle in one tube and a similar crosshair reticle in a circle with the adition of a rectangular box centered inside the circle with the crosshairs meeting at the center of the rectangle and the long sides runninng paralell to the horizontal line of the cross hair and the short sides of rhe rectwngle running perpendicular to the horizontwl line in the crosshair. If that makes enough sense for anyone to visualize. Then you begin collmation by rotatiing the entire eyepiece assemblies like your threading them on to or off of the unit. Simply turning the diopter ring wont do anything for collimation as the diopter rings only push the element in or out to get the rigjt diopter settings for your eyes to focus on the tubes output screen clearly. The offset element in the eyepice needs to actually rotate to be able to allign its optical axis with the other tube so that both tubees' Eyelanes are as close to beng perfectly aligned as possible. I also have a Hoffman eyelane resolution test srt with grayscale to check dynamic rangethat i use to check the overlapping of the image to be double sure the goggles are collimated as well as possible. Then once you have them collimated you must be sure to fully tighten the eyepiece lock rings or tge collimation you just performed on the unit wont last very long if unit is used alot. The lock rings are important to keep the collimated optics to remain collimated. Then one can set diopter stiings using the bridge abd diopter scope. 

Boresighting involves getting the objective lens, tube and eyepiece all centered optically so they are all in perfect alignment with one another. My test set uses a similar reticle pattern help get units boresighted but the process for actually boresighting using the test set is a bit more involved than just rotaring the eyepices obviousl and doesnt pertwin to the OP, and would take a while to fully type out, so im going to end my post at that.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 10:58:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I'll add a simple version for everyone too.

When you hold a PVS-14 up to your eyes, while looking at something, the image moves slightly. If you want to see this, put a camera on a tripod, looking at something, then put a PVS-14 in front of the camera and notice how much the object moves on the screen.

If you have two PVS-14's, the error could be quite random, and then this means your eyes may have to point in slightly different directions, like a chameleon, so that you can have stereo vision. This can cause damage to children's eyesight and eyestrain in adults.

Collimation doesn't eliminate this error, but it does get both monoculars on the same plane, with the same vertical error. This reduces eyestrain as our eyes are much better at dealing with a small difference in the X axis than they are at dealing with difference in the Y axis - Or worse, both.

David
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 12:39:03 PM EDT
[#6]
This might make me look like a retard but I’ve worn these for long periods without eye strain.

I close one eye and adjust one 14(the open eye) until it looks as straight as I can get it. Then I do the same with the other eye. Then I open both of them and make sure I can see both red lights that indicate my illuminator is on.

What’s funny is when I look at them afterwords they aren’t exactly parallel like binoculars. One is always noticeably crooked.

Eventually I’ll snag some actual binos
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 1:08:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 7:01:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This might make me look like a retard but I’ve worn these for long periods without eye strain.

I close one eye and adjust one 14(the open eye) until it looks as straight as I can get it. Then I do the same with the other eye. Then I open both of them and make sure I can see both red lights that indicate my illuminator is on.

What’s funny is when I look at them afterwords they aren’t exactly parallel like binoculars. One is always noticeably crooked.

Eventually I’ll snag some actual binos
View Quote
Not everyone experiences eyestrain. Also, there's a possibility your NODs are fairly closely matched.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top