Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2017 4:22:48 PM EDT
Wife doesn't want me to go solo but seems like everybody that can go NV shooting is too busy now.
Ive done hikes and all that so im not oblivious to nature and have well equipped gear.
Im just really getting the itch to use my pvs14's and wondering if any of you have gone solo?

(also it would be on public lands not like a private ranch)
Thanks,
CM
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 4:31:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 4:34:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Go out alone all the time. I just make sure a few people know the vicinity I'll be in and when I'm expected back.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 4:35:11 PM EDT
[#3]
About 75% of my Nods use is solo. About the other 25% of the time USDA comes along with their thermals.
Apply the 4 rules, get comfortable in the darkness and you'll be fine.

It's amazingly calming to have that advantage against mother nature all by yourself.
I like driving under nods also. 
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 4:45:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep, all the time.
It's great to go with well equipped friends, but I don't let our conflicting schedules keep me from getting out and utilizing these investments.
Not sure where in AZ you are, but hit up MrPlayer. Great guy.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 5:42:52 PM EDT
[#5]
100% solo.

I don't know anyone with NV.

I've tried to get non wizard eyed friends to go but they're not interested. I can't blame them it would be pretty boring without their own NV.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 5:58:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Per the others, all the time. Bunch of guys here claim to always be ready to ready but conflicting schedules and all that.

It was a tad nervous driving to the middle of nowhere at first.  Especially since the place I go is known as basically a super highway for illegals and other suspect activity. But Im the king of the hill when I'm out there so I don't sweat it. I just make sure I constantly sweep for threats.

Plus there is border patrol sneaking around too so that makes it better. In fact I got droned about a month ago and I suspect it was them checking me out. I would have never even known but it was a real windy day and they had to give the thing the full beans to keep it up which I ended up hearing.

And they knew I saw it. They tried circling into the sun so I couldn't see it. not a big deal. Probably saved them and me a visit. They saw me laying prone firing at a target three yards away(Ranger trick for a hasty sight in) and probably thought I was a harmless moron lol.

My only advice is to constantly be aware of your surroundings.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 7:02:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Yep.. love using my TNVC/PVS-14s when canoeing into the marsh in the AM to hunt ducks..
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 7:05:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I am out in the woods alone often.
Always carry a radio and/or a phone.
Remember, dangerous nocturnal animals see and sneak better than you ever will and are very hard to see with NODs unless you light up their eyes.
If you have a thermal of any kind, always carry it too.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 11:13:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Last time I went solo into a big park near me someone must have seen me walk in and called the POPO. I basically went in to check my new Omni VII tube I just installed, but there was too much light pollution around I couldn't use it to it's full ability. I guess I have to wait for the next time our grid goes down and yup I'm 99% solo
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 3:32:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Most of the time solo.

Wife asks if I am afraid being out there alone, I just tell her why? I am the boogy man everyone else needs to be afraid. When I target a critter it usually dies .

The border patrol and illegals are in some areas which I usually try to avoid. If I am near the river I usually stop a border patrol vehicle and let them know what areas I will be in.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 3:38:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Go alone most the time since nobody has the right gear.... haha. I do have a crappy Gen 1 scope for a friend if they do decide to join me 
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 4:57:58 AM EDT
[#12]
All the time in my backyard of 2,400 acres.

I'm the most dangerous MoFo in my woods.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 12:53:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm solo maybe 60% of the time I hunt.  Kinda like it.  All my hunting buddies walk like a goddamn triceratops tromping through the woods and dragging their feet.  

Being alone is simpler.  Being with others can be more fun (if you do it right).  I still take other people out all the time, and enjoy it.  But I definitely kill more hogs when I'm by myself.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 2:24:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the info guys, makes me feel normal that i wont be the only one. It also makes it a lot easier when they cant see me and i can see them.
Gonna be nice being able to go out and use my investment and not wait for people!
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:04:18 AM EDT
[#15]
i have never gone with anyone else. I do not live in a dangerous area, but I do not know anyone else who is into the nv and thermal. I just walk around in my woods and kill yotes and coons that want to eat my wifes chickens.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:32:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Just went out last night again. Wife is off work for a bit so I’ve been out at night three times in the last two weeks.

YouTube vid me seting up
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 8:51:33 PM EDT
[#17]
All the time, it seems the only others w/ NVDs I know much prefer sleeping after dark  Last night I set up an AR500 hanger and was hitting it w/ suppressed 300 BLK subs and 22 LR out to 200 yd  I let my wife know where I'm going and about how late I will be, but I usually have my phone and/or radio.  Last night I was accompanied by my friend Busch Light though
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 9:38:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Yep. I'll probably do it again this weekend.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:02:03 PM EDT
[#19]
When I first got mine (late teens) I went out solo all the time. Then I got an IR laser and could easily shoot things, which was way more fun. 
Then I got a sound suppressor so I could quietly shoot things.

I taped over the clock in my car so I could drive in the dark with no lights whatsoever. It's easy to detect another light source miles out, and go back to "normal" mode until they pass you.
I snuck up on deer (didn't shoot them). It's awesome. 

Sometimes animals were curious and approached me. It was obvious they couldn't see as well as I could, and they're nocturnal animals. Really cool feeling.

I never knew anyone else with NODs either until I got my current job.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:13:37 PM EDT
[#20]
I used to quite often, but ever since my Ridgeback got old enough to go with me, he is with me 99.9% of the time.  Even if he is usually sacked out on the seat next to me in the mule lol

I don't find it scary (no really dangerous predators in my AO) but rather kind of lonely... it is more fun to have someone to share the experience with, even if you have to share gear with them
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 12:25:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I used to quite often, but ever since my Ridgeback got old enough to go with me, he is with me 99.9% of the time.  Even if he is usually sacked out on the seat next to me in the mule lol

I don't find it scary (no really dangerous predators in my AO) but rather kind of lonely... it is more fun to have someone to share the experience with, even if you have to share gear with them
View Quote
I think the mind tends to play tricks the first couple times until you get used to it.

Although I’m pretty good about completely and randomly and instantaneously going completely black and silent and doing a quick 360 look and listen with the NV and my electronic muffs turned all the way up.

Plus it’s kind of hard to sneak up on someone in the desert.

Last night was fun. Doing vehicle drills in the dark is awesome.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 12:39:09 AM EDT
[#22]
im too lazy.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 4:02:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Although I’m pretty good about completely and randomly and instantaneously going completely black and silent and doing a quick 360 look and listen with the NV and my electronic muffs turned all the way up.
View Quote
huh,,,never even thought about taking my elect headphones with me. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 7:32:21 PM EDT
[#24]
I usually go rucking on my time off at night or early mornings and use my nods. It can suck at times and give you some eye strain. Once I get funds I'll upgrade my PVS-14 to a decent/good Gen 3 of some sort. I'm running a Gen 2+ Ruski tube in my nods and it can be difficult to use under tall trees that cover ambient light in passive mode. I couldn't afford the high-speed sh*t we use at the unit but it still fits my needs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top