Page / 18
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 9:51:29 PM EDT
[#1]
That outdoor alert is impressive.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 10:02:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anyone have a estimate when these will actually be in stock somewhere?
View Quote
wow!you must really be excited about this thing!..10yrs and this is the one item to get you to post!lol
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 11:42:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
This came up early on and one of the TNVC representative said it was IP67 rated.
View Quote
Excellent, thanks I had missed that.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 12:19:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Got to play with one tonight and I must say I'm very impressed. Image quality is very nice at this price point...better than the pulsar 384 core IMO.  I didn't see an option to change the NUC to manual, but I could be wrong.  It'll  be interesting to see how the 640 performs.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 12:27:12 AM EDT
[#5]
I contacted [email protected] to see if they could fit me in for one. I guess we will see how the backorder process goes. I would much rather order from an arfcom affiliate than some other drop shipper.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 12:30:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This came up early on and one of the TNVC representative said it was IP67 rated.
I have 60 dollar outdoor speakers made in China that have the IP67 rating. (official)
If someone can't meet that standard for a 2 thousand dollar item, I would be out.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 1:06:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Got to play with one tonight and I must say I'm very impressed. Image quality is very nice at this price point...better than the pulsar 384 core IMO.  I didn't see an option to change the NUC to manual, but I could be wrong.  It'll  be interesting to see how the 640 performs.
View Quote
No way to disable NUC in this version of software.  You can manually initiate a NUC by pressing front and back arrow buttons simultaneously, which will reset the NUC timer. Seems to NUC about every 5 min, unless a temp change occurs.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 1:49:43 PM EDT
[#8]
 Been here forever lurking.  Always did my night hog hunting with 3rd gen and homemade IR lasers with the original scout as a spotter.   Ready for a upgrade!

Quoted:

wow!you must really be excited about this thing!..10yrs and this is the one item to get you to post!lol
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 8:21:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
FYI, NGI and TNVC have more units arriving next week.  (Tom is out this week guide hunting...)
View Quote
Are they all spoken for?

Also, I read a review that there's still no audio on the video it records? I thought that was something they were fixing in the software months ago?
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 12:20:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Also, I read a review that there's still no audio on the video it records? I thought that was something they were fixing in the software months ago?
View Quote
It doesn't have a microphone.  There will never be audio.  You will have to record yourself saying "pew pew pew" during the shots.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 2:17:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It doesn't have a microphone.  There will never be audio.  You will have to record yourself saying "pew pew pew" during the shots.
View Quote
Ahh, okay. Must have mixed that up with one of the other scopes.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 6:12:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Welp, just ordered mine.
Now for the long wait.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 1:43:14 AM EDT
[#13]
They just called me and clarified that it could be 6 to 8 weeks for delivery. Who does that anymore?
I thought it was pretty cool that they called me. That's pretty professional and makes me want to spend money there again. I feel like no one does that anymore and that that's the problem with the internet culture. Everything is really cheap because you can just find it in some foreign country and not have anyone there to answer your questions because they don't care because there are Dropship company or something like that
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 7:24:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 2:15:08 PM EDT
[#15]
What is NUC?
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 3:00:07 PM EDT
[#16]
NUC stands for non-uniformity compensation. Long story short, the heat emanating from the lens itself has to be "subtracted out" of the total amount of heat hitting the sensor. To do that a shutter closes for a moment so that the device can get a picture of just the lens and then compensate for it. As the lens changes temperature the units will automatically trigger a NUC correction. Because it closes a shutter the image freezes for a second. Because of that, most devices will have a manual mode where you can do it yourself so that you don't get a NUC at a critically inopportune time.

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 3:35:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Got it. Thanks
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 7:43:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Really liking the PTS233 far! Got it sighted in on my SPR and was able to shoot a 2" 10 shot group at 100 yards. Should be fun for coyotes this winter.

Quick video -

Link Posted: 11/12/2017 9:32:45 PM EDT
[#19]
I sighted mine in today.  Should have figured it does not sight in like a regular scope.  You sight it in like a Bow Sight.  Move the retical the opposite direction from where you want the bullet to hit.  Single hand warmer works good at 50 yds.  Recommend 2-4 of them at 100yds.  Here is a video of a flock of geese on a frozen pond.  

Bp
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 12:07:02 PM EDT
[#20]
I got my unit in on Friday. The instructions for sighting it in make a reference to the PTS 233 having a value of 2.1 MOA. Does this mean each “click” in the reticle adjustment during boresighting equals an impact movement of 2.1 MOA? 

If I am understanding that correctly, it seems like a lot to me? Interestingly, that value decreases in the larger lens versions. 

In in my case, I couldn’t get the windage any closer to zero than being off by 1/2” for my gun. Close enough I suppose? 

Seems like a very nice unit for the money. I could easily see deer standing at least 550 yards away iin an open field. Has to zoom in to be able to see them pick their heads up. Etc. 

iI did a “milk jug” test but failed to record the video correctly. I was using a 100 oz bottle of tide liquid detergent filled with 105° water. 

It became a tiny speck but still visible at 400 yards, I completely lost sight of it at 475 yards. I could still see it at 450 because I knew where to look but probably would have missed it even if it were moving.  
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 5:04:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Anyone know how well the ADM mount on the pts233 returns to zero?
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 6:36:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Anyone know how well the ADM mount on the pts233 returns to zero?
View Quote
About as well as every other ADM mount on the planet, that is to say: excellently.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 9:37:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Attachment Attached File

I did 4 separate three shot groups tonight. I removed the scope, power the unit off replace the scope between each of the groups and this is what I got at 100 yards.

I had an iron pipe cap hung by piece of wire that I heated with a cigarette lighter and I mustve jerked the shot because I obviously hit it on the last shot.

I also missed a coyote with it tonight. Aargh!!
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 11:06:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 11:24:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Coyote miss

Just got home and plugged in. I bet I shot over that somebitch?
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 11:37:36 PM EDT
[#26]
What range and what yardage zero do you have?  The dot was right at his spine when the shot broke.

ETA: If you're doing a set use something to stabilize the rifle.  I use this  https://www.amazon.com/BOG-POD-CLD-3-Shooting-Camo-Tripod/dp/B001RN0JA0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1510630674&sr=8-1&keywords=bog+pod&dpID=31B-9TBzI1L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I've been crushing the fox and yotes in my AO the last two months.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 11:47:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
What range and what yardage zero do you have?  The dot was right at his spine when the shot broke.

ETA: If you're doing a set use something to stabilize the rifle.  I use this  https://www.amazon.com/BOG-POD-CLD-3-Shooting-Camo-Tripod/dp/B001RN0JA0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&;qid=1510630674&sr=8-1&keywords=bog+pod&dpID=31B-9TBzI1L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I've been crushing the fox and yotes in my AO the last two months.
View Quote
I dont really know how far the yote was. Probably about 100 yards? Tonight, I was in a deer shooting house, propped firmly in the window. I do have that exact tripod and love it.  

If you can see the spot where the target is torn above, that is just below where my heated metal target was hanging during the return to zero test I was experimenting with above.

So based on that target Im about 2 high at 100 yards. I need to drop it down one click and check again.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 11:48:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Coyote miss

Just got home and plugged in. I bet I shot over that somebitch?
View Quote
What range and what zoom was that? Was the image that blurry for you when when you shot?
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 11:53:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

What range and what zoom was that? Was the image that blurry for you when when you shot?
View Quote
4x, yes. It pretty much looked like the video. Approx 100 yards.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 12:03:56 AM EDT
[#30]
https://youtu.be/S63yBd7jf5k

Heres a video of two deer I saw before the coyote came in. These deer are 150-200 yards away. Probably closer to 150 yards.

https://youtu.be/S63yBd7jf5k
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 5:48:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I dont really know how far the yote was. Probably about 100 yards? Tonight, I was in a deer shooting house, propped firmly in the window. I do have that exact tripod and love it.  

If you can see the spot where the target is torn above, that is just below where my heated metal target was hanging during the return to zero test I was experimenting with above.

So based on that target Im about 2 high at 100 yards. I need to drop it down one click and check again.
View Quote
I'm guessing you shot over the top.  Looking forward to more videos.  

My IR Hunter doesn't easily record video without attaching a stupid external DVR.  I've stopped using the DVR in favor of a battery pack.   Good luck on future sets.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 7:01:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'm guessing you shot over the top.  Looking forward to more videos.  

My IR Hunter doesn't easily record video without attaching a stupid external DVR.  I've stopped using the DVR in favor of a batter pack.   Good luck on future sets.
View Quote
I quit using mine too for the same reason. Pain in the arse to me me. Internal recording is a big plus for me.

I do miss audio though.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 7:25:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Really liking the PTS233 far! Got it sighted in on my SPR and was able to shoot a 2" 10 shot group at 100 yards. Should be fun for coyotes this winter.

Quick video -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4QE5XXwVJw
View Quote
Whats the distance in that video?
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 4:59:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Any new PTS233 owners play around with the Enhancement settings at all?  I think the defaults are good, but I'm curious if anyone has been able to enhance image quality.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 5:39:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Ive been turning the gain down to get rid of some of the feedback on tree trunks and ground that show up when using the outdoor alert color palette. Other than that I havent seen the other enhancement actually making much difference.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 5:52:43 PM EDT
[#36]
At the furthest, roughly 150 yds , and towards the end about 75 yds
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 2:21:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Here's a video taken last night while waiting for hogs to come out into a typical sized Mississippi deer food plot.

I don't know the exact measurements across this plot but its probably not more than 100 yards across to the other side.  

That coon was probably only about 15 yards away.

I did manage to get the settings correct for last nights conditions so that I didn't get much if any feedback off the tree trunks and the outdoor alert only "popped" on potential target animals. It looks really good to me when the settings are correct. This color palette really is impressive to me.

Unfortunately for me no hogs were injured last night because none came out.

Link Posted: 11/17/2017 4:47:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Impressive for a cheap 320 microbolometer core thermal!
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 12:22:05 AM EDT
[#39]
I have read through most of this review and it was mention somewhere that this sight came with a remote. However I have watched a open box review on YouTube and I have see the open box pictures in this thread and I am not seeing the remote anywhere. Did the decide not to include it with this sight. However the sight does have the stand by mode so what good is that without the remote?
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 12:54:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I have read through most of this review and it was mention somewhere that this sight came with a remote. However I have watched a open box review on YouTube and I have see the open box pictures in this thread and I am not seeing the remote anywhere. Did the decide not to include it with this sight. However the sight does have the stand by mode so what good is that without the remote?
View Quote
Mine did not come with a remote.  I'm not sure what the standby mode does, as I haven't messed with it.  I'm guessing it will come on faster if turning on from that mode. When turning it on from the off position, it takes a few seconds to boot up.

The control buttons on top are easy to use and intuitive, so I don't feel any desire to have a remote.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 8:58:05 AM EDT
[#41]
It didn't come with a remote but there is a "learn remote" menu item under settings.

There really aren't any instructions about the standby setting? I can't figure out what it does currently. I don't get anything.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 8:42:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Thanks DanW and Wildflower for confirming that. I guess this is where they cut corners on this sight. I am guessing this will be an accessory in the future that you will have to buy extra if you want it.  I do really like this sight and I plan on getting one of the larger models with 640 resolution when they come out in 1.5 years lol hopefully they will include the remote with them.

I like having a remote from the efficiency and quickness that it presents if you mount it to rail.  If you use it enough you can develope muscle memory with it to zoom in and out.  Because when you hog or predator hunt most of the time you have to put a lot shots on targets in just a few seconds, and if the targets start running away from you you have to zoom in on them otherwise they look like ants, or if they run towards you you have to zoom out to be able to pick them up in the scope. How many times have you made that shot on the animal where he is about to duck back into the woods. This doesn’t happen if you have to pull one hand off the gun to zoom in or out on the scope and then get back into shooting position. It at least a 3-4 second loss if you can do it perfectly when you have do it without a remote, those animals can run a long way in those 3 or 4 seconds.

This is just my two cents though.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 11:59:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Thanks DanW and Wildflower for confirming that. I guess this is where they cut corners on this sight. I am guessing this will be an accessory in the future that you will have to buy extra if you want it.  I do really like this sight and I plan on getting one of the larger models with 640 resolution when they come out in 1.5 years lol hopefully they will include the remote with them.

I like having a remote from the efficiency and quickness that it presents if you mount it to rail.  If you use it enough you can develope muscle memory with it to zoom in and out.  Because when you hog or predator hunt most of the time you have to put a lot shots on targets in just a few seconds, and if the targets start running away from you you have to zoom in on them otherwise they look like ants, or if they run towards you you have to zoom out to be able to pick them up in the scope. How many times have you made that shot on the animal where he is about to duck back into the woods. This doesn’t happen if you have to pull one hand off the gun to zoom in or out on the scope and then get back into shooting position. It at least a 3-4 second loss if you can do it perfectly when you have do it without a remote, those animals can run a long way in those 3 or 4 seconds.

This is just my two cents though.
View Quote
This is where Pulsar’s picture-in-picture feature has a clear and distinct advantage.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 8:05:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Has anyone had a chance to compare the FLIR PTS233 to a IR Reap-IR? If so opinions?

Large price difference...but maybe not as large quality difference.

Any IN members interested in comparing with a Reap??
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 11:10:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Has anyone had a chance to compare the FLIR PTS233 to a IR Reap-IR? If so opinions?

View Quote
Race your Accord against a Bugatti Veyron and get back to us on that comparison.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 11:26:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
I suppose there is an off hand chance that your definition of "quality" is different than everyone else's?

What do you consider quality?
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 11:34:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
Your comparing a 19mm 320 12um to a 35mm 640 12um... huge difference just starting there.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 12:09:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Your comparing a 19mm 320 12um to a 35mm 640 12um... huge difference just starting there.
View Quote
I thought we discussed previously that there is no inherent advantage to the 12um dot pitch aside from form factor and packaging-- worthwhile, for sure, but not an automatic image quality boost.

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 4:39:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Relax, they are both 12um.

Just pointing out the large lens and res difference.
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 2:59:39 PM EDT
[#50]
I see, you mentioned 640 and 35mm as well. You're right.

-Stooxie
Page / 18
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top