Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 18
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 11:22:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And apparently light years away from becoming reality too!!
View Quote
At least for you!
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 2:33:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I ordered mine from OpticsPlanet before discovering this thread. Any idea when these are actually coming??

Do you take paypal nightgoggles.com?
The info provided here has been outstanding from a retailer and definitely would like to purchase from you in the future.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 12:57:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 2:05:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I just got word back from Flir support
"The ThermoSight PTS 233 is tentatively scheduled to go into production the end of September  early October"
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 2:24:40 PM EDT
[#5]
So how many light-years away from it being shipped to customers hot little hands does that make it? 

Just kidding, thanks for the update. 
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 2:40:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Im just gonna hope to see one by christmas lol.

My first thermal device and i couldnt be more excited. Worked the past 7 days straight to get the cash.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 3:04:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Im just gonna hope to see one by christmas lol.

My first thermal device and i couldnt be more excited. Worked the past 7 days straight to get the cash.
View Quote
If this is as nice as I hope it will be, for the price I'm going to put one on several rifles that I've always wanted to have a thermal on but would never justify the price tag. 
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 3:11:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Specs and nightgoggles provided pics and video definitely seem to put it ahead of the other options in the 2k-2200 and below range.

Optics planet offered a 336 predator instead of the pt233
Also looked at Thor and pulsar but the green screen has me uninterested. The thor seems okay for the 1250-1400 they go for used.

I also asked FLIR about the pt233 and the SCAR 17 they said it had them a bit concerned so idk if i will endeavor to push it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 5:00:34 PM EDT
[#9]
"had them a bit concerned"?? What kind of answer is that!  Doesn't sound like that person was in marketing.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 5:18:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Rumor has it they temporarily halted shipment due to a software issue.  I too am hoping to get it by December.  January Hog Hunt is set in stone!

Bp
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 5:44:03 PM EDT
[#11]
"I am a little concerned about the SCAR recoil, even though it is rated to handle 308

Best Regards

Ed Hatterle
Sales Account Manager
Outdoor and Tactical Systems"
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 5:44:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Rumor has it they temporarily halted shipment due to a software issue.  I too am hoping to get it by December.  January Hog Hunt is set in stone!

Bp

Quoted:
"The ThermoSight PTS 233 is tentatively scheduled to go into production the end of September  early October"
View Quote
 So which one of you has the most recent information? 
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 5:52:34 PM EDT
[#13]
My email came this morning, minutes before posting here
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:54:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bp

Quoted:
Um.......I'm finding it hard to swallow these haven't been put in to production at this point.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 12:17:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Don't worry, good news is you'll get to see more "pre production" pics , videos and quips from Flirs unofficial marketing department. . Seeing as the TWS looks to be possibly backed up until the end of the year, is there anything news on the Q14B? Last I heard they were talking about making it a TWS again.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:06:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Why is it that manufacturers "release" a product but it's not really in production yet. In my mind the word "release" means it's ready to ship. That might explain why I'm not in marketing.

I understand they need to market products and create buzz and hype, however, it's very frustrating as a consumer to order an item only to find out that it isn't anywhere near ready for production. I would imagine this also frustrating for vendors. The lack of a true release can also create negative attention in the form of rumors, misinformation and speculation as to the products stability and reputation.

Hopefully this unit will actually be "released" soon and live up to its hype.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:32:03 AM EDT
[#17]
There could be all sorts of reasons for delaying the release. Could be as simple as they want to make sure it's 100% working to their satisfaction before sending out into consumers' hands. Could be as complicated as the CFO wanting to push sales into the next fiscal quarter or year so they don't have to write down the value of a $250 million bucks worth of existing inventory. Could be legal issues with the channel partners. Could be because they haven't gotten approval from some government entity relating to a certification or a contract award or something like that (and in that case, could be related to the Federal budget approval and how long it takes for Congress to pass a budget and not just a CR). The simplest explanation is just wanting the product to be 100% working.

I say all this because too often people figure corporations are just being assholes, and that refrain is becoming more and more popular. While the net effect might be the same, I would guess it's not with great joy or a sinister smile that FLIR is delaying the release (if even by a week or two).

Actually, for the dealers in this thread, I'd love to know what the expectation is for all the existing inventory. Are you expected to sell a $6,000 Zeus Pro that is soon to be supplanted by a $2,100 unit? What will the distributers do in that case? I would have to imagine that margins have slimmed as well...

-Stooxie

ETA: "Pre-releasing" or announcing a release before "general availability" is a very popular thing for companies to do. Not saying it's right or wrong, just that it's all about market timing, competitive pressure, current state of the books, where it fits in to their other product lines and overall revenue expectations, etc, etc. These are not easy decisions in a competitive world and the phenomenon of the internet (knowing that a nasty review can be reposted a million times in 24 hours) makes it all the more touchy.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:44:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:59:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Why is it that manufacturers "release" a product but it's not really in production yet. In my mind the word "release" means it's ready to ship. That might explain why I'm not in marketing.
View Quote
Because Flir is getting murdered by Pulsar in FY '17.  They're all frothing at the mouth to best each other.  Thermal has finally come down to a price point where simple cavemen like me will buy it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 12:33:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Does pulsar have something on the horizon that will best the pt233?.. im temped to buy a used thor to play with then resell when there are flir units finally available. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 1:04:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Does pulsar have something on the horizon that will best the pt233?
View Quote
Not on the horizon.  Already on the market.  Pulsar Core RXQ30V costs less and detects farther than the PTS233.

If the PTS233 can deliver high-quality video recording, it will be worth the up-charge for folks who want to post videos.  The ADM mount is another big plus.  The included Pulsar mount looks like it was made in 1979.  Small OEM QD has been teased but not released.

I will own both.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 1:53:11 PM EDT
[#22]
The display resolution appears to be vastly superior. I honestly have a hard time picking up the contrast on the green display. Maybe im just weird?

Also note the pt233 is being sold under 2k in some places albeit not the best retailers. That puts them very very close in price
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 2:10:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Well, hopefully these updates and fixes will carry over to the other Boson devices that will be released. Maybe those won't be delayed like this initial product of the Boson line.

I just want a good/cheap thermal clip-on.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 2:37:02 PM EDT
[#24]
What about clip-ons is keeping them from being as available in the same 2k pricerange?
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 2:52:16 PM EDT
[#25]
If Flir's channel partner or biggest fan could jump in and set the record straight with some direct,  inside information instead of leaving it up to speculation and conjecture,  that would be great.
Lots of crickets after they worked so hard to get everyone frothing at the mouth to get their hands on these.
Hell,  even a 'we don't know what they're doing' would be better than silence.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 3:04:30 PM EDT
[#26]
I would say my info is pretty solid, being from FLIR itself. If nightgoggles has some additional info as to why it seems to be delayed that would be good.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 5:01:24 PM EDT
[#27]
I’m not defending Big companies by any means but if they ship quickly they are using customers as beta testers. If they wait too long they are incompetent and or having issues.

If they try to solve that by delaying releasing any info at all stockholders get mad for not maximizing potential pre sales and pushing up demand.

Lol, again, not shedding a tear but it’s sorta funny.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 6:26:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I’m not defending Big companies by any means but if they ship quickly they are using customers as beta testers. If they wait too long they are incompetent and or having issues.

If they try to solve that by delaying releasing any info at all stockholders get mad for not maximizing potential pre sales and pushing up demand.

Lol, again, not shedding a tear but it’s sorta funny.
View Quote
It isn't completely as lose/lose as it appears.  They could simply properly develop the product and announce it when it is 100% ready.  Then they win on both counts.  Marketing people can't keep their damned mouths shut.  That's the problem.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 9:17:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Im confused as to how alittle over a week ago flir told me dealers will have them by 9/1..
Now they are delayed... how is it possible for them to basically be ready to ship. But now there are software issues.

Just the other day optics planet went live on amazon advertising shipping in 1-3 weeks. i took this as a good sign that id have my unit in 1 to 2 weeks.

Im going to investigate it a little further than maybe cancel my order..if i get it near Christmas it wont even get any serious use until the following year.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 9:54:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
What about clip-ons is keeping them from being as available in the same 2k pricerange?
View Quote
The optics themselves (not the thermal electronics).
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:07:18 PM EDT
[#31]
About 2 weeks ago I had 0 knowledge outside of video games about thermal. I started off looking to improvise something to shoot rats along the property.
I find myself learning alot more than I expected.

Optics planet told me today "...I can discount Armasight Predator 336 2-8x25 30 Hz Thermal Imaging Weapon Sight, FLIR Tau 2 Core, Black this optic down to $2359.96 beating the LDAY discount as a special offer for the inconvenience of the back-order.

We are currently showing a September 14th lead time from FLIR in regards to this unit. But I would go with what you were told by the manufacturer. We received a lead time update from FLIR on Aug. 31st. but it is not clear how accurate this lead time is. They might have an issue with production at this time. Please let me know if you would like to go with the replacement I offered you and I can have it shipped out right away!..."

Link Posted: 9/14/2017 7:08:53 PM EDT
[#32]
The silence is deafening.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:04:29 PM EDT
[#33]
I emailed Flir about a week ago to inquire about the shipping date, but I've heard nothing from them.  I contacted them via their own web site.  That doesn't say much for their responsiveness.  It makes me wonder how their customer service will be, should I ever need it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:40:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Initially i spoke with them on the phone and followed up with an email when they didnt call me back. The correct person for my call emailed back and that got the ball rolling. Not ideal, not too bad.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 5:41:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Noticed Optics planet changed stock status from 7-12 days to backorder unknown eta.

So much for shipping in a couple weeks... over a month ago.

Anyone hear anything?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:52:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Noticed Optics planet changed stock status from 7-12 days to backorder unknown eta.

So much for shipping in a couple weeks... over a month ago.

Anyone hear anything?
View Quote
I just did a live chat with a guy at Flir.com who said he will check the status for me and email me when he finds out.  He said he's heard nothing.  I find that odd with this product being such a huge release for them.  I'll report back when I hear from him.

I wonder if Nightgoggles can get some inside info on it for us?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:53:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:49:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I just did a live chat with a guy at Flir.com who said he will check the status for me and email me when he finds out.  He said he's heard nothing.  I find that odd with this product being such a huge release for them.  I'll report back when I hear from him.

I wonder if Nightgoggles can get some inside info on it for us?
View Quote
It's not a huge release for them. Based on this:
FLIR's Q2 Investor Preso
I'd say they are trying to fulfill their existing backlog of $645, none of which includes the PTS233 (since that wouldn't be backlog).

Their investor preso makes almost no mention of anything related to the Outdoor and Tactical unit, other than to say "Inorganic growth," which means business they bought through acquisition. Not saying FLIR is doing anything wrong! Just might want to set your expectations based on them being a public company with big contracts to fulfill.

And before anyone thinks that there might be trickle-down features from the military contracts in your commercial unit, the Federal Acquisition Rules will likely make sure that doesn't happen.

Just trying to provide some insight, I'm sure I'll get blasted for it.

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:10:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It's not a huge release for them. Based on this:
FLIR's Q2 Investor Preso
I'd say they are trying to fulfill their existing backlog of $645, none of which includes the PTS233 (since that wouldn't be backlog).

Their investor preso makes almost no mention of anything related to the Outdoor and Tactical unit, other than to say "Inorganic growth," which means business they bought through acquisition. Not saying FLIR is doing anything wrong! Just might want to set your expectations based on them being a public company with big contracts to fulfill.

And before anyone thinks that there might be trickle-down features from the military contracts in your commercial unit, the Federal Acquisition Rules will likely make sure that doesn't happen.

Just trying to provide some insight, I'm sure I'll get blasted for it.

-Stooxie
View Quote
Why would you get blasted?  You are right, that for the whole company, it isn't huge.  But for their consumer outdoor division, it is.  The guy I chatted with is with that division, not the government contract/defense, or their larger business.  I was surprised he didn't know.  He did, btw, acknowledge that this thing is a bid deal to them.  That's where I got that.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:17:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Why would you get blasted?  You are right, that for the whole company, it isn't huge.  But for their consumer outdoor division, it is.  The guy I chatted with is with that division, not the government contract/defense, or their larger business.  I was surprised he didn't know.  He did, btw, acknowledge that this thing is a bid deal to them.  That's where I got that.
View Quote
I getchya...

What you're saying supports the idea that this is an effect of the larger company on the division. Maybe the PTS233 is ready to go but they (OTS) are being told to hold off and it's not exactly clear to them why. All wild speculation, of course, but to me it makes a little more sense in the context of a small division in a large company.

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 3:19:20 AM EDT
[#41]
If they had been truthful they would have gotten 50% of the preorders they did, with more of us waiting for the 640s.
If there isnt more info put out soon, waiting for the 640 seems like a better and better idea.maybe they wont botch the release of later models.

All it really did was force me to accept i need NV and thermals..NVs are on the way and if flir doesnt pull there heads out of their butt and realize this is something that pisses  me off, Ill shop elsewhere for my thermals aswell.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 7:14:08 AM EDT
[#42]
What will be the price point on the 640? That's likely the limiting factor for me, and others, too, if it is much more.  If it is 500 bucks or so more, maybe it is do-able.  

What do we know about the specs on the 640? How much better is it supposed to be?
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 12:25:15 PM EDT
[#43]
As far as i have found the 640 is only known by its specs on the Flir sight. Havent found anyone whose had hands on but im not connected like that either.

Honestly starting to consider Pulsar instead if i dont get a concrete date by the end of the week. I have cash noe and no shortage of other shiny things to spend it on lol
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 1:24:33 PM EDT
[#44]
My personal experience with some random FLIR employee responding to an email or "chat" about and specific questions like new product availability information has never been accurate at all. Or timely. I find that entire system of communicating information to be completely worthless for both the customer and the company.  When boson was first announced two years ago I was speaking with a Flir rep who didn't even know what I was asking about.   

Think about it, a company like Flir is not going to tell an anonymous customer service caller that the new unit was scheduled to begin production on such and such date but right before the date we encountered yet another software glitch and had to drop back and re-work everything. 

But the account managers who deal with companies like TNVC and the other thermal sales companies probably do get bits and pieces of information like that get passed along. 

I think you will be better off pestering your sales rep.

I did find that I received extremely timely and detailed information regarding the return of my Flir Vue when something went wrong with it that required factory service. No worries there. 
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 1:41:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
My personal experience with some random FLIR employee responding to an email or "chat" about and specific questions like new product availability information has never been accurate at all. Or timely. I find that entire system of communicating information to be completely worthless for both the customer and the company.  When boson was first announced two years ago I was speaking with a Flir rep who didn't even know what I was asking about.   

Think about it, a company like Flir is not going to tell an anonymous customer service caller that the new unit was scheduled to begin production on such and such date but right before the date we encountered yet another software glitch and had to drop back and re-work everything. 

But the account managers who deal with companies like TNVC and the other thermal sales companies probably do get bits and pieces of information like that get passed along. 

I think you will be better off pestering your sales rep.

I did find that I received extremely timely and detailed information regarding the return of my Flir Vue when something went wrong with it that required factory service. No worries there. 
View Quote
nathonm posted this:

"I am a little concerned about the SCAR recoil, even though it is rated to handle 308

Best Regards

Ed Hatterle
     Sales Account Manager

How does the Sales Account Manager for Outdoor and Tactical Systems qualify as some "random FLIR employee"?

Link Posted: 9/20/2017 2:22:57 PM EDT
[#46]
SkyPup is quiet. That tells me everything I need to know.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 2:53:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 3:21:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
nathonm posted this:

Best Regards

Ed Hatterle
     Sales Account Manager

How does the Sales Account Manager for Outdoor and Tactical Systems qualify as some "random FLIR employee"?

View Quote
 Did you receive your email reply as a result of you calling the telephone number at the bottom of this page?

Flir PTS 233

If so? I stand corrected. 

But I also said was that I believe the account managers who deal with companies who sell Flir thermal products probably do get better information than the random customer service rep who answers the telephone or response to an email. 

I apologize if I hurt your feelings. I could very well be wrong about this. I am not wrong about my individual personal experience with the  contact phone number at the bottom of the page for a different Flir product. 
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 3:42:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
 Did you receive your email reply as a result of you calling the telephone number at the bottom of this page?

Flir PTS 233

If so? I stand corrected. 

But I also said was that I believe the account managers who deal with companies who sell Flir thermal products probably do get better information than the random customer service rep who answers the telephone or response to an email. 

I apologize if I hurt your feelings. I could very well be wrong about this. I am not wrong about my individual personal experience with the  contact phone number at the bottom of the page for a different Flir product. 
View Quote
I have no feelings on the topic to hurt. You characterized the information posted as being from "random FLIR employee".  I pointed out nathonm's interaction was with FLIR Sales Account Manager for the relevant division.

You chose to ignore the question in all respects and repeat your inaccurate representation of the facts.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 4:11:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I have no feelings on the topic to hurt. You characterized the information posted as being from "random FLIR employee".  I pointed out nathonm's   interaction was with FLIR Sales Account Manager for the relevant division.
View Quote
Wait. I didn't even know there was a question. What was the question?

People here have made statements about not getting accurate info from Flir regarding the shipment of the pts233. 

I shared my experience dialing the contact number at the bottom of the page for another Flir product. When I called in, I was shocked that the random employee who answered the phone had not even heard of the product. 

I wasn't speaking directly to nathonm necessarily. But since we're talking in reference to him now. Did nathonm receive that email as a result of his calling the "questions" telephone number at the bottom of the page?

If so, I stand corrected about calling the number at the bottom of the page and expecting whoever answers the phone to have useful, accurate, and detailed information. 

I hope I'm wrong. I hope they really are in production as nathonm previous stated he was told they would be. 

Thanks. 
Page / 18
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top