Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 21
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 11:59:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes it is, but the wild speculation of just what it is makes for so much FUN

The one I was using certainly was even more fun than that though.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 12:14:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes it is, but the wild speculation of just what it is makes for so much FUN

The one I was using certainly was even more fun than that though.
View Quote
We gotta do something till it ships right;  help pass the time.   Both these threads have had interesting details about the older q14 and what is coming soon.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 12:19:12 AM EDT
[#3]
terry1 had the best post, pretty much right on the money.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 8:28:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 9:31:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I really think I will wait for the boson 640 Q14B 1X model in 2018  unless they make a 320 model with 19mm (1.5X ) lens version. That said I will buy the new boson 19mm 1.5X TWS for my suppressed rimfire rifle use .
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 9:54:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I really think I will wait for the boson 640 Q14B 1X model in 2018  unless they make a 320 model with 19mm (1.5X ) lens version. That said I will buy the new boson 19mm 1.5X TWS for my suppressed rimfire rifle use .
View Quote
I was thinking 9mm AR or 300 blackout subsonic for mine assuming 19mm/320 is available in weaponsight configuration. 
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 3:52:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd put money on it that the "removal" of the weapon mountable feature was due to ITAR.  I hear Boson is stil a bit up in the air in terms of exportability.  Releasing the Q14b without the reticle and marketing it as a handheld makes it a lot easier for Flir to sell internationally.  There must be a common platform between all the new Armasight products so the software that supports reticles has to exists.  It was even shown at SHOT.  If you do buy a Q14b, don't count on a simple software update that will enable reticles though.  I agree that not having the weapon mount option reduces the overall appeal of the product.  I think Flir would be foolish to not have a weapon mount variant (with a 19mm lens).
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 5:16:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'd put money on it that the "removal" of the weapon mountable feature was due to ITAR.  I hear Boson is stil a bit up in the air in terms of exportability.  Releasing the Q14b without the reticle and marketing it as a handheld makes it a lot easier for Flir to sell internationally.  There must be a common platform between all the new Armasight products so the software that supports reticles has to exists.  It was even shown at SHOT.  If you do buy a Q14b, don't count on a simple software update that will enable reticles though.  I agree that not having the weapon mount option reduces the overall appeal of the product.  I think Flir would be foolish to not have a weapon mount variant (with a 19mm lens).
View Quote
I sure do hope you are wrong
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 5:25:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 5:48:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 8:35:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Anyone have an arrival date?  One that can be disclosed....estimated?  Rough estimate?  Wild Ass Guess?  Bueller?  Bueller?
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 8:55:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 10:45:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I remember being on the PS24 waiting list... so the q14B June ship date will be in October! all jokes aside if the Q14B is not going to work as a TWS I wish they would have said that at SS or at least make it clear at this point. the CS guys still says its going to be a TWS, this thread pretty much says other wise. I just wish FLIR would confirm it one way or the other so I could decide if I'm going to spend anymore time waiting on it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 11:23:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 11:58:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 2:20:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

. . . nothing has been communicated.
View Quote
Well that's certainly not accurate.  But I agree nothing has been finalized.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 2:48:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 3:06:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Adj., Semantics...Noting has been communicated on the final versions.  There will be several variations of the 320 Boson in several platforms.
View Quote
No good deed goes unpunished.  You are the messenger and are now taking hits that really aren't your fault at all.  It's a mix of early feature teases by FLIR, poor follow-up communication from the company, a website that really should be taken down, and our rabid excitement.  

Their own website would clearly lead a reasonable consumer to believe the Q14 Boson will be weapon-mountable.  Fair says it has an "all new Boson core," then proceeds to show pics mounted to a weapon.  Nowhere on Flir's product page does it say TWS or other advertised features are "from old models," or "subject to change."  That's on FLIR.  

But FLIR's not here, and shots are being fired!  Thank you for the stuff you have already brought to this thread and please keep it up.  

Quick Q: Should we have rec'd a confirmation when we sent a "put me on the list" email to [email protected]?  Because I did not.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 3:11:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Nevermind.

Thanks vendors for posting what info you have when you have it. I just wish FLIR wouldn't have changed the specs because I pretty much sold my Q14 original based on what they indicated the Q14B was supposed to have. Shit happens.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 3:24:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 4:52:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Nevermind.

Thanks vendors for posting what info you have when you have it. I just wish FLIR wouldn't have changed the specs because I pretty much sold my Q14 original based on what they indicated the Q14B was supposed to have. Shit happens.
View Quote
yup sold my Q14 640 with the same intent... oh well live and learn right....
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 7:21:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Hey FA, as I've been mentioning all along, nothing has been finalized on final release and what exact models. This is why we don't place things on our web site regarding specs. The purpose of this thread was to primarily show the new 12um 320 core capabilities for the first time with actual vids and what the latest Q14B looks like with no final word on units. Been saying that early on, NOTHING has been finalized.  
View Quote
seeing as the Q14B is pretty much out, what can you tell me about the boson TWS.?
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 10:36:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Ok, I get being disappointed....but  is it anyone else super stoked about having such a small lightweight cheap capable spotter?

Yeah, "super stoked".  My application isn't WM...so - but really, this capable at this price point... wow.

YMMV
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 11:15:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Here is the tiny Q-14B next to a SureFire CR123 and a BOSON core assembly and the C-Series Boson Clip-On TWS:

Due to all the anticipatpatory misconstrued hypothetical musings expressed here-in that is all I have to say about it except it has a plethora of f/1.0 lens assemblies to choose from including 50 & 75mm and maybe 100mm if you've got the coin to swing that.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 11:18:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:<snip> [is] anyone else super stoked about having such a small lightweight cheap capable spotter?
View Quote
Put me in this camp.  As I said previously, I think there's great value in a sub-$2K handheld and helmet-mountable thermal scanner. I paid that much for my Pulsar HD19A, which has already proven ten times more effective than NVDs for the limited purpose of detecting far-away and obscured targets.

I don't need it to be a reticled scope at this price point.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 12:42:42 PM EDT
[#26]
I plan on getting a 640 tws for my rifle when they are released but wanted a handheld for scanning or a loaner weapon sight so a friend could join in.
Guess I will have to wait and get a 320 tws for a scanner/loaner sight.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 2:34:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 12:36:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 1:41:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

How are you night-hunters who already have NVDs planning to integrate this device into your routine?
View Quote
What is the best option for using both a PVS-14 and the FLIR Q14B with a helmet?  What's the best flip up/out solution for running two different optic systems independent of each other?
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 12:18:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 2:16:20 PM EDT
[#31]
I tried a 640 core M-24 thermal over one eye and a PVS-14 over the other with a dual mount and it is way to disorientating be be of any productive use, both have different FOV, focus points and presentation is basically use one eye or the other, not a good setup at all.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:58:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Ever think they'll make make a COTI setup for it like skeetir?
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 3:04:36 PM EDT
[#33]
@TNVC is there an existing mounting system that would allow user to flip-up and down MNVD on left eye and Q14 on right eye?  So you're walking a trail looking for hogs with the MNVD and when you get to a clearing and want to take a quick hands-free thermal scan you pop the MNVD up and pop the Q14 down.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 3:44:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 5:31:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Hi 35Rem, hard to say as FLIR has not shown the final options on what mounting adapters will be utilized just yet.  Wilcox does have a dual independent flip up dovetail system (Bayo or DT) we offer that is popular. More to come...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/Clutch99/Bridge_PVS14_ex_zpsguhxbx6g.jpg
View Quote
Outstanding.  Thank you for all of this info.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 5:44:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Hi 35Rem, hard to say as FLIR has not shown the final options on what mounting adapters will be utilized just yet.  Wilcox does have a dual independent flip up dovetail system (Bayo or DT) we offer that is popular. More to come...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/Clutch99/Bridge_PVS14_ex_zpsguhxbx6g.jpg
View Quote
I used this Wilcox dual mount for trying out one of my FLIR M-24s 640 core and one of my PVS-14s both with dovetail mounts.

It really does not work well for your mind to seeing one eye thermal and one eye NV, it is much better for me to just run two M-24 thermals or two PVS-14s.

I'm sure that running two Boson Q-14s would be a real nice setup though as they are very lightweight.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 6:39:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:It really does not work well for your mind to seeing one eye thermal and one eye NV
View Quote
Agree as to simultaneously running NOD on one eye and thermal on the other: it's asking for a headache.  To repeat my earlier statement: "you pop the MNVD up and pop the Q14 down."  I could get a lot of use out of a system like that.

Thanks, all.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 2:45:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 2:51:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Latest news from FLIR in response to questions on the initial release of the Q14B at Shot when first shown.

FLIR is constantly seeking consumer feedback. As we expanded our feedback loop to a larger pool of end-users in Q1, we were convinced that eyepiece optic would be served better as an application-specific device. That is: monocular eyepieces provide short eye relief. When mounted to most weapons, comfort and ergonomics get compromised.

As a result, FLIR’s new breakthrough FLIR Q14b powered by its Boson core will be launched as a hand held monocular and helmet mounted product only, with no weapon mounting capability. The product will also be renamed to avoid cross-references to the existing Quark-based FLIR Q14.

View Quote
I think we would all be well-served by the reminder that SHOT product announcements—from any company, honestly, but especially from those operating on the cutting edge of innovation—should be taken with a gigantic grain of salt.

Thanks @TNVC for keeping us in the loop.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:37:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Latest news from FLIR in response to questions on the initial release of the Q14B at Shot when first shown.

FLIR is constantly seeking consumer feedback. As we expanded our feedback loop to a larger pool of end-users in Q1, we were convinced that eyepiece optic would be served better as an application-specific device. That is: monocular eyepieces provide short eye relief. When mounted to most weapons, comfort and ergonomics get compromised.

As a result, FLIR’s new breakthrough FLIR Q14b powered by its Boson core will be launched as a hand held monocular and helmet mounted product only, with no weapon mounting capability. The product will also be renamed to avoid cross-references to the existing Quark-based FLIR Q14.

View Quote
so they are still going to sell the Q14 as a weapons sight but not the boson because of "comfort and ergonomics"?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:36:03 PM EDT
[#41]
If they're truely looking for customer feedback they should look at all the unhappy people in the other locked thread.

I doubt that any real consumers polled said they'd like less features in the device. Im convinced that this is purely a marketing decision by FLIR since they don't want this to compete with their new boson tws products coming out.

I sold my PS24 for this and was excited to have a device that would do more than my old PS24. I'm sure the Q14 will be a MUCH better scanner than my PS24, but with out the TWS capability it won't do anything more than my PS24.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:53:23 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm still game.  I wish they would ship them
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:31:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
so they are still going to sell the Q14 as a weapons sight but not the boson because of "comfort and ergonomics"?
View Quote
 This makes perfect sense doesn't it ?  Nor do I think FLIR was asking the right people?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:00:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:07:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm still game.  I wish they would ship them
View Quote
We're in the same boat.
Let's GOOOO!!!
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:18:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I did not read it that way except it's simply a naming conventuon change, but I can inquire further details. Thank you.
View Quote
no need, Mr Srulovich at FLIR already explained to me why flir went back on their word concerning the Q14B. After all Flir's purpose is to make money , not to make people happy.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:56:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Well, that really sucks. I was hoping FLIR would have a change of heart and keep the TWS capabilities, but that press release from TNVC confirms it...

I guess FLIR just lost my business. There is nothing this device offers over the old Q14. Using the same name was a mistake.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:59:02 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Well, that really sucks. I was hoping FLIR would have a change of heart and keep the TWS capabilities, but that press release from TNVC confirms it...

I guess FLIR just lost my business. There is nothing this device offers over the old Q14. Using the same name was a mistake.
View Quote
Yes, higher profit margins for FLIR
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:02:49 AM EDT
[#49]
A whole bunch of hype for nothing.

More fake news
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:25:59 AM EDT
[#50]
I'm in for the Boson core helmet mount with 9.1mm lens and the Boson Clip-On TWS with 25mm lens.

Boson is a total thermal game changer for the foreseeable future!
Page / 21
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top