Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 1:17:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 5:50:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Ok, I see what you're saying. I looked a bunch of videos online from the Trail and there are many examples of hogs or deer (or cows!) in the distance behind trees.

Still seems silly to have to choose, what's it to them to include color? Software is already written.

I'll have to think about this...

Thanks!
-Stooxie
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 8:52:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I do appreciate your input, thank you!

Just reading your response, I'm not quite sure where some of this is coming from. I understand how thermal works, I had a Zeus Pro for a while. Also, I said I was trying to find a deer that might be 20 yards into a forest (with me 150 yards away in the middle of a field). This isn't me trying to shoot a deer at 150 yards that is standing in the clear. How will a b/w palette look in that situation? Again, with the Fusion palette on the Zeus Pro, the ground and trees all showed up as shades of purple/blue, yet I could still see a tiny spec of reddish yellow through the trees. 

I'm not trying to argue, I'm happy to believe what you're saying, I just want to be sure that you are clear on what I was saying because I can't quite match it up.

-Stooxie
View Quote
Understood. As long as the deer is significantly hotter than the trees around it (which is always the case) the deer should "pop". Obviously thermal cant see through branches or trees so the deeper in the woods it gets the harder it will be to see. That said, I can't really think of a case where a B/W thermal wouldn't find a deer in the woods just as well. If it makes you feel any better a friend and I were hunting hogs about 100-125 yards from a woodline and there was still quite a bit of sun out. I saw a hog about 15 yards in the woods with my B/W thermal well before my friend could see it with his naked eye about 45 min before sunset. It disappeared in the woods only to come out about 75 yards further down the woodline. I whispered to my friend to get ready and sure enough about 15 seconds later a ~225 lb hog came out of the woods. The B/W thermal picked it up well before my friend could through his day scope even with quite a bit of light left. It's experiences like these that makes me feel the B/W is fine. The more mag and better resolution the better you can render details at that range which may help. Honestly I think you're over thinking it bud. You'll be more than happy with the Helion and it will serve you well. Plus you wont have to point a gun at something just to look. It's not a safe practice and gets heavy anyway. Hope yours comes soon!
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 8:55:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Ok, I see what you're saying. I looked a bunch of videos online from the Trail and there are many examples of hogs or deer (or cows!) in the distance behind trees.

Still seems silly to have to choose, what's it to them to include color? Software is already written.

I'll have to think about this...

Thanks!
-Stooxie
View Quote
Generally these companies take feedback from actual users with the pre production models. If 90% of hunters say the B&W works perfectly well Pulsar is likely to save the money on the color screens and writing the software for it. Just helps keep the cost of the scope down. Pure speculation, but it makes sense.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 8:59:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Oh yes, overthinking things would be totally out of character for me 

Very helpful, thank you!

Only reason I am even asking is that I was going to buy BOTH a Helion and a Trail but it looks like funds will only allow one of them for the foreseeable future. Considering that I really don't have any excuse for night shooting at the moment it's probably clear that I should get the Helion. Damn OCD!!!

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 9:01:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Generally these companies take feedback from actual users with the pre production models. If 90% of hunters say the B&W works perfectly well Pulsar is likely to save the money on the color screens and writing the software for it. Just helps keep the cost of the scope down. Pure speculation, but it makes sense.
View Quote
For shooting at stuff I can see how B&W might be the best choice. It's frankly amazing to see some of these videos. It's like looking at a broad daylight scene on a black and white TV. Night turned completely into day. It's impressive. Very clear detail where colors might be distracting or not show the subtle details as well.

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:07:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:20:05 PM EDT
[#8]
It has audio!!!

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:57:12 PM EDT
[#9]
That PIP is something else.  What a cool idea.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:23:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Received my Trail today

Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:56:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:58:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:44:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Got out in between showers, still getting to know the buttons. The recoded footage isn't as good as the eye sees, the yearlings at the start I could almost see the strands of hair and the images were well defined. On the recording the it's all blurred.

The Trail is better then the old 25micron and LCD Pulsar line.

https://youtu.be/FLRKSOITojQ

One from today getting ready, getting use to the remote.

https://youtu.be/K9IH9ijkWBE
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:20:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:47:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the tip mate Appreciate it.

The first vid looked great in the view finder, there was mist in the air/sprinkling. But when I downloaded it to the PC it was a blur.

Getting use to the controls and functions. It's a cracker of a scope, I've put my Gen2 WP scope onto the 22lr.

Hoping to go out tonight and get it zeroed and hopefully bag a red coat ( fox ) or few.

Last night I was watching mice run across the paddock and the thermal was even picking up the moths flying by.

The view finder to my eyes is like a light coloured sepia screen. Not Grey scale like in the recording. I remember the older LED pulsars view finder was in Greyscale.

Anyway, loving the scope, worth the coin I paid for it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:58:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Just a question in regards to the display, did any of you guys that have a new Trail develop some pretty bright lines off the left or right side off the display?

Last night, mine started out as little triangles, turned the unit off and when booted back up 10 min later I had developed bright lines fully lit up on the right side of the amoled screen. I've used it for maybe 1 at most in the last 2 days. When I got the scope it was normal like the left side of the screen.

To the eye it's very distracting, even on the lowest brightness setting.

Just wanting to know, if anyone else had come across similar issue.

Pic I took this morning with the lens cap on.

Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:48:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Hi Skip,

Nice videos. Thanks for uploading - Not so great about the lines though. Did you put any rounds through the rifle while the scope was attached, or did it just happen like that?

David. 
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:57:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Hey Dave, good to hear from you mate.

I am yet to even fire a shot . I bore sighted it at home, ( simple task ) just used a length of cardboard and stapled a 1" square of folded aluminium foil and had that stapled to the guts of it.

went to the farm to go zero it in. But like the other day, raining cats n dogs. So just sat in the shed with it mounted on the tripod, and letting the guys have a look through the view finder and the stream app. They all agreed the image in the view finder was heaps better then what they could see on the stream app.

Wasn't much to look at besides the cows and the odd moth and mice getting across the field.

I've used the unit for about 1hr not even used 10% of the batterys first charge.

This is what you get in the recording of the device, looks worse in the viewfinder.

I've tried some suggestions last night out the back of my place. and none have worked. ( did catch a look at a fox almost get some rabbit dinner )  I've reset the unit all back to original settings, Some kind of Fault with the Amoled screen it seems. Boxed up and ready to go back to the pulsar Importer/distributor.

Link Posted: 4/22/2017 9:57:24 PM EDT
[#19]
I took a video last night for you Dave, just using it as a handheld unit.

In the vid when the scope is on its Native optical magnification of 2.7x you will see the vertical lines ( 2x ) width ..... in Black hot it's the worst ( as the 2 vertical lines are quite bright as in the picture I posted earlier) in white hot, it's barely noticeable ( they turn a light grey color )

Local dealer responded as not good, waiting to hear from the Pulsar Importer/distributor.

It's now back in it's box to ship back to them once I get told what I need to do and where to send it.

https://youtu.be/hOov61itWHQ
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 12:02:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 12:07:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 3:30:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Sorry about the OLED issues El-Skippo. Please let us know what they decide to do.
View Quote
My dealer suspected that it's the FPA not the Amoled screen as the lines go away when digitally magnify the image. If it was the Amoled screen those lines would of stayed there throughout the zooming of the image.

It's back at the importers now, just waiting to hear what they going to do.

Waited a very long time for this, then I get it .... not even fired a shot with it. Before I had to send back :( just my luck of getting a Friday Arvo knockoff unit... bloke must of been too keen to get to the pub for a cold Beer.  

Every manufacturer has the odd dud. Shit happens

Will let you know when I get it back.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 11:50:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

My dealer suspected that it's the FPA not the Amoled screen as the lines go away when digitally magnify the image. If it was the Amoled screen those lines would of stayed there throughout the zooming of the image.

It's back at the importers now, just waiting to hear what they going to do.

Waited a very long time for this, then I get it .... not even fired a shot with it. Before I had to send back :( just my luck of getting a Friday Arvo knockoff unit... bloke must of been too keen to get to the pub for a cold Beer.  

Every manufacturer has the odd dud. Shit happens. Will let you know when I get it back.
View Quote
If I were in your shoes, I would get the problem confirmed, get the replacement scope shipped, and keep shooting your scope until it arrives.  No way I'd just give it up.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 12:21:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Anyone have any idea what the accessory lenses will cost? Wondering if it's better to get a Helion XP38 or get a 50 and buy the 28mm lens later. These germanium lenses ain't cheap, though, right?

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 10:44:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 12:03:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
We haven't seen lens pricing yet. Sorry Brotha!
View Quote
Have you guys heard anything about the B packs? When available. Importers here haven't much in regards.

Edit: I'll also add to this post that my Replacement unit was sent also.

The importers are going to keep mine for there demo unit. They sent me there unused new xq50 demo unit they were keeping for our shot show in May.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 12:03:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Is it too soon to say the Trail XP50 is the bang for the buck leader in the industry right now?
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 8:22:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Received my replacement yesterday.

Still wet and cold here. Had a quick play with it before I mounted it and bore sighted it in and then hopefully get it zeroed in the weekend.

https://youtu.be/ZYxPp7zLVs4
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 1:02:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 3:34:50 PM EDT
[#30]
can anyone educated me on a Pulsar Digisight N550A Night Vision Scope   thinking of getting one
thanks
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 4:06:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 4:02:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 4:21:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 6:09:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Has anyone used the XQ30 trail scope model? My understanding is this model has a fixed focus lens much like the IRD MK II/III Reap IR compared to the XQ38 and higher models which have the focus knob up top. I like the lower 1.6X and 12 degree FOV the XQ30 scope offers for shooting close quarters in timber/brushy terrain. I just wonder how the pulsar fixed focus system is clarity wise? On the IRD units it's nice not having to worry about focusing different distances plus their super clear so it's a non issue for me there,
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 8:41:13 PM EDT
[#35]
I have the Pulsar 384 Trail XQ30, from Night Goggles, Inc.. The fixed focus is not a big problem. Like Tom from Night Goggles told me, just use the ocular to adjust focus if needed.  I can correct anything that is not in focus by using the ocular, if needed. In addition, I am very impressed with the image quality of the 17 micron XQ30 384x288 resolution. It has a very clear image. The posted videos don't do the image quality justice. I can't imagine how much better the Helion XP series would be with the 640x480 resolution.

I like the 17 micron and 50hz processing speed, especially at this price point. No image delay on moving objects either.  Sometimes the black hot gives more details than the white hot in images,  and sometimes vice versa.

I am pleased with the Trail XQ30, functions, battery life, resolution, handiness as both a hand held and mounted.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 12:06:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 7:55:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:26:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 6:40:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 4:43:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 1:46:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 5:14:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 10:26:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 11:48:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:09:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 7:00:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Glad I had my Pulsar Helion on me at Boyscout camp this week. Very long story short, the staff assured us that the bears (4 of them) had moved on. I said, "do you mind if I check quickly?" Guess who was about 50 yards away? Two cubs were up a tree just to the left (not in the picture).

-Stooxie

Link Posted: 7/30/2017 4:29:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Glad I had my Pulsar Helion on me at Boyscout camp this week. Very long story short, the staff assured us that the bears (4 of them) had moved on. I said, "do you mind if I check quickly?" Guess who was about 50 yards away? Two cubs were up a tree just to the left (not in the picture).

-Stooxie

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/59391/img-018-266453.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 5:09:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 5:16:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

So GLAD you found those cubs!  Too many have had a VERY BAD DAY not knowing cubs were around.   Money well spent right here!
View Quote
I know, and the camp staff would have otherwise led us right to them. I don't think they have ANY clue what kind of bullet they dodged.

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 5:28:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top