Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/13/2010 9:01:55 AM EDT
ok i live in CT and we have annoying laws here so i have to have a Brake on my SBR seeing as it was made post 94. i have a SEI/Fisher can on the way and i was wondering if anyone has experience with there brake version of the vortex because that will accept the can (when i go out of CT) when used at night and a PVS-14. i have a YHM Phantom brake now and i tried firing it at night with an EoTech and PVS, completely whited out when i fire so i only shot 2 times before i put it away for fear of possible tube damage. for my Rem700 and pre-ban ARs i plan to go with the regular Vortex, i know to the naked eye it does a good job but what about threw NV?

http://www.smithenterprise.com/products04.01.html
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:40:24 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:52:39 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:15:39 AM EDT
Originally Posted By thebeekeeper1:
Originally Posted By TNVC:
The best overall FH we have used for NODS is the Smith Enterprises Vortex with the AAC Black Out a very close 2nd. Hope this helps.

Vic

If I understand his question correctly he is asking about a muzzle brake, not a flash hider. I'm guessing he is looking for the brake that will best hide the flash, in order to comply with his state's laws.

Yep, You are dead on. I missed it also when just skim reading. I have no experience with that brake and night vision. Have never seen any brake comparison with night vision. Seen lots of flash hider comparisons.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:39:00 AM EDT
dare I say that no BRAKE is good for NV

just get a vortex or blackout
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:49:43 AM EDT
Originally Posted By gaspain:
dare I say that no BRAKE is good for NV

just get a vortex or blackout

I agree and don't really think any brake is a good option. In this case the OP can't use a flash hider so I don't have a answer for him other then a can which I am sure is frowned upon as well being he can't use a flash hider. I don't have a good solution for him. Hopefully someone else has one.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:13:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2010 12:30:50 PM EDT by TNVC]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:07:44 PM EDT
Anybody know about the BE Meyers unit?

Pretty impressive video, but that doesn't mean anything..

Brent

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:52:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2010 1:53:10 PM EDT by sardo_67]
yes, i am going to use the SEI Vortex flash hider/suppressor on my Rem700 and pre-ban M4 clone as my SEI can willk work with those, but was more concerned with the brake on my SBR due to CT laws.

on a second note, how bad is it if i use the NODs on my SBR with the brake? i'm not going to be shooting 1,000+ rounds or anything but maybe a few, the 2 rounds i tried whited out the unit due to muzzle flash, will that damage the NODs?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:14:26 PM EDT
I've got Ranier Arms flash hiding brake. It isn't the best flash hider, but it is better than a bare muzzle. I've noticed I get a big flash every 5 or 6 rounds if I run it fast, but its not nearly as common running it slow.

Mine is also a 14.5" barrel which doesn't help, running this on a 16" or 20" it would probably be better.

The only other options I can think of are the FSC 5.56 and the A2 brake. I've heard that the A2 style brakes work pretty well as a flash hider, but I have no real experience with either.

If I had a good set of NVG's I'd take them out and see whether it whited them out or not, but unfortunately I dont.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:22:38 PM EDT
ok i live in CT and we have annoying laws here so i have to have a Brake on my SBR seeing as it was made post 94. i have a SEI/Fisher can on the way and i was wondering if anyone has experience with there brake version of the vortex because that will accept the can (when i go out of CT) when used at night and a PVS-14. i have a YHM Phantom brake now and i tried firing it at night with an EoTech and PVS, completely whited out when i fire so i only shot 2 times before i put it away for fear of possible tube damage. for my Rem700 and pre-ban ARs i plan to go with the regular Vortex, i know to the naked eye it does a good job but what about threw NV?

I'm guessing a can is out of the question in your state?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:25:48 PM EDT
Originally Posted By sardo_67:
yes, i am going to use the SEI Vortex flash hider/suppressor on my Rem700 and pre-ban M4 clone as my SEI can willk work with those, but was more concerned with the brake on my SBR due to CT laws.

on a second note, how bad is it if i use the NODs on my SBR with the brake? i'm not going to be shooting 1,000+ rounds or anything but maybe a few, the 2 rounds i tried whited out the unit due to muzzle flash, will that damage the NODs?

Whiting out isn't good at all. Better not to risk damage.

Waiting for a 10.5 upper to arrive and was wondering myself if it would be too much flame for NV.

Brent

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:27:07 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:54:45 PM EDT
I have had good results with the Bushmaster IZZY compensator / brake . I think there are 2 different kinds . I have the one w the wide muzzle end
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:05:33 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:46:48 PM EDT
...... Nevermind
Top Top