Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2010 5:09:37 PM EDT
ok I have owned a ITT PVS-14 for about 5 years now... No complaints at all - it has been a blast

I am considering getting a new weapon mounted NV scope... I keep hearing about the WASP but haven't seen any details as yet.. The PVS-27 from what I can tell seems to be optimized for mounting in front of a day sight or day/night reticle equipped but I have not seen one of those either...

The Raptor is known to me and I think I would be happy with it...

what does the board think?
Link Posted: 8/5/2010 5:45:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I would get a d-740 with a hand selected pinnacle tube.  The 740 is a few grand cheaper and also alot lighter than the raptor.  Victor did a comparison between the d-760 and the 6x raptor.  The raptor and 760 were pretty much neck and neck untill you stretched the distance out past 1000 yards.  Pvs-22's and 27's are sweet due to being able to throw the unit in front of your day sight, and keeping your daytime dope.  Again it really depends on what you want to do.  The 22 will run you somewhere in the 10k range.  As you said I also haven't seen anything about the wasp.

I use a d-760 with larue qd mounts that works very well.  All my optics are on larue mounts so I can switch them back and forth.  Just mark your rail for that particular optic and your GTG.
Link Posted: 8/5/2010 7:45:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got the D-760 GenIII, a PVS-14, as well as a Mil-Spec PVS-22 just reently purchased for over 8K.
A 3rd Gen D740 is the best "budget" option, but I have a feeling the Wasp will be the way to go.

If I was in your shoes right now, I'd get a mil 3X for the 14 and wait.  Even if I could afford a Raptor.
UNLESS you are planning on a clip on, in that case buy it now, while you can get a mil spec unit.

I could not be more thrilled with my OSTI AN/PVS-22.  I thought hard about the 27, but I'm not that long range of a shooter, and it is a lot more and bigger than it looks.
But it does work well at magnifications much higher than the 22 can handle.
I did want more than the smaller UNS SR delivers (pretty much a 4X unit), so the 22 was the best choice for me.

The best setup would be the UNS SR AND the PVS-27, but holy crap, with that you have just gone from 10K to what, 16-17K?
The "civi" UNS (BNS) is nice, but lacks the gain control, I'd sure hate to give that up to save 1K.  
My D-760 GenIII lacks one also, my only complaint about the unit.

Link Posted: 8/7/2010 7:33:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I've got the D-760 GenIII, a PVS-14, as well as a Mil-Spec PVS-22 just reently purchased for over 8K.
A 3rd Gen D740 is the best "budget" option, but I have a feeling the Wasp will be the way to go.

If I was in your shoes right now, I'd get a mil 3X for the 14 and wait.  Even if I could afford a Raptor.
UNLESS you are planning on a clip on, in that case buy it now, while you can get a mil spec unit.

I could not be more thrilled with my OSTI AN/PVS-22.  I thought hard about the 27, but I'm not that long range of a shooter, and it is a lot more and bigger than it looks.
But it does work well at magnifications much higher than the 22 can handle.
I did want more than the smaller UNS SR delivers (pretty much a 4X unit), so the 22 was the best choice for me.

The best setup would be the UNS SR AND the PVS-27, but holy crap, with that you have just gone from 10K to what, 16-17K?
The "civi" UNS (BNS) is nice, but lacks the gain control, I'd sure hate to give that up to save 1K.  
My D-760 GenIII lacks one also, my only complaint about the unit.

http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz323/sniper907/G2c.jpg

http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz323/sniper907/SPRD760.jpg

http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz323/sniper907/AI4.jpg

http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz323/sniper907/_2237132-1.jpg

thanks for the detailed reply!

how does your set up with the PVS 22 in front of your optic (I believe it is a USP SN-3???) compare with the D760???

regards
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 10:01:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

how does your set up with the PVS 22 in front of your optic (I believe it is a USP SN-3???) compare with the D760???

regards

The PVS-22/SN-3 is cleaner, clearer, less noise or sparkles, but the D-760 is slightly sharper.
The PVS-22/SN-3 combination of course allows variable magnification, and with the variable gain of the 22, it's a far more versatile shooting system.
This is in no way said to diminish the performance of the 760 GenIII, it's a fantastic 6X NV scope, with selectable red/amber reticles.
If we set the SN-3 to 6X and compare the two setups at equal magnification, we find that the UNS is still the winner, but the 760 is an incredible value.

But the SN-3/UNS is useful all the way up to 12X, although image quality peaks at 9 to 10X.
Perhaps the best combination is the USO SN-3 1.8-10X37mm scope with the UNS.
They are a beautiful match.

Link Posted: 8/22/2010 8:55:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 10:58:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I apologize for not giving out any details but patents had to be sorted out first with certain aspects of the scope.  Presently the WASP is still with a select few heavy trigger pullers as we have had several versions out in the proto stage. The final pre-production has just arrived and the resolution is well, quite startling.  The optical engineers who designed the glass and mirrors are some knowledgeable folk on the subject matter who make my head spin.  This is whole design aspect is a HUGE undertaking and it takes an enormous amount of time on the bench and even more down range with huge amounts of rounds with MANY calibers from 5.56, 6.8SPC, .308's, 300's, 338's, 50's etc.
I can tell you we designed the mounting platform with a Larue Tactical mount as I see a TRUE need for QD on any dedicated NV rifle scope.  While this may not be true for some day optics, having the ability of quickly removing a dedicated NV rifle scope was paramount along with a return of 1 MOA or less removing and replacing the scope.
More details will be forthcoming, but the shooting must continue.  

Vic

Absolutely no apologies needed, Vic, as a matter of fact it is we, the consumer, who should apologize for badgering you about the details on this rig.
But you know how it is, those of us in the NV community are a pretty select group with specialized/unique needs, desires, and requirements.

We sure appreciate the update, and are looking forward to the release of this piece of equipment.
And for perhaps the first time, I wish I lived in the People's Republic of Kalifornia, so I could help you out with the shooting!

Link Posted: 8/22/2010 12:27:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I have been patiently waiting for more as well. I do understand patents and testing need to be covered before it is released. I can't wait to see what this scope will do !
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 5:50:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks Vic - I can't wait for the details on the Wasp - seems like it will be worth the wait!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:55:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Vic,

Can you give any ballpark time frames on when you think more info might be released?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:56:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top