Page / 145
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 12:50:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes they are and they are great helmets. Decisions decisions
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 12:51:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
When can we expect a review.

PS You need the Steiner thermal attachment for those.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 8:28:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By CTM1:

When can we expect a review.

PS You need the Steiner thermal attachment for those.
View Quote
I need to play with them more then just taking a date out to the desert.
Right now, I think they are cool. I like the low profile of them and don’t find them to be too heavy.
I agree I need the thermal overlay. Feel free to send me one to round out my Fusion collection. I may try out something DIY when I have time.
Right now I’m happy with the two custom mounts that got made for my new MK3,60 and the T-50.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 10:10:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Couch-Commando] [#4]
I just spent way too much money on new image intensifier tubes to justify buying a new helmet.  I've decided to keep going with my chopped helmet and try out the helmet mounted hearing protection.

Do all Peltor ear muffs fit the arc rail adapters? I'm looking specifically at the Peltor Sport Tactical 100.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 3:24:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4DoorEKk] [#5]
Originally Posted By Couch-Commando:
I just spent way too much money on new image intensifier tubes to justify buying a new helmet.  I've decided to keep going with my chopped helmet and try out the helmet mounted hearing protection.

Do all Peltor ear muffs fit the arc rail adapters? I'm looking specifically at the Peltor Sport Tactical 100.
View Quote
I believe so but don’t quote me on that. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen pics of them mounted on arcs and by the looks of them they will work. I know the Howard leight impacts work on the arc rail adaptors but supposedly the peltor sport’s electronics are a lot better. I know my Howard Leights don’t compare to my comtac 2’s sound quality and electronics wise but I didn’t think they would.
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 9:29:10 AM EDT
[#6]

View Quote
They will work.  They slide a little bit on the posts, but once they are on your ears they stay in place just fine.
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 8:47:32 PM EDT
[#7]
ops core fast bump
EOG counterweight
rhino 2 with dovetail adapter
asgard defense bridge with dual mum 14a's (Omni IV tubes)
SF 6p with solarforce IR drop in for illumination

Rifle is a 14.5" S&W M&P
OTAL C IR
YHM Ti Phantom QD 556

Some days I wish I had a 10.5" upper, but this really does quite well for my needs and budget.

Link Posted: 1/14/2018 9:41:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Too obnoxious?

Link Posted: 1/14/2018 11:12:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Trying to decide which way to go. I want to up grade the retention and liner systems of my ballistic work lid. The shell is Ops Core and I was thinking TW boa epic air or Ops Core liner w/worm dial. We don't run nods so weight isn't a big concern but I do have comms mounted to my rails. Any first hand exp between the he two would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 9:28:52 AM EDT
[#10]
I found the 4G pads very comfortable on top and back but I had to use the original forehead pad because my head is too big front to back and it was hard to get on. Thinking about trying the worm dial upgrade if for no lther reason than to cannibalize the forefhead pads to fit my setup. I would love to hear other users input.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 7:06:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been playing with upgrades. I decided to see if the Peltor Tactical Sport 100 would fit arc rail adapters. The posts are a little smaller than on the ear pro they were designed for, but they do seem to fit okay. They rattle a little bit on the posts, but when worn it doesn't make a difference.

I also added an ubertactical counterweight to the back, consisting of 54 caliber musket balls, a zip lock bag and some zip ties, along with a red LED for when I'm at the shooting range at night and don't want to get shot.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 10:46:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Attachment Attached File

Out using my gear that doesn’t work.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 12:59:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Swapped the Sordins for the Peltor Comtac III dual comms.

Got another set of Comtac III dual comms to put on the back up setup. Just need a PVS-14 and a TNVC Mohawk.

Link Posted: 1/17/2018 7:44:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: night9] [#14]
problems with pic.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 11:08:21 AM EDT
[#15]
I have used the Crye Nightcap since getting into NV stuff and loved it, but on black friday I went ahead and picked up a bump helmet (TW Exfil, I know fuck them but their product is superior and it was on a great deal).

The one thing that really makes me love the nightcap even more is that I don't need a counterweight using a PVS-14, but on the helmet it seems like I do.

I really don't want to have to use one, but it seems if I want to run the helmet I have little choice. What should I go with?
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 11:51:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By westernhaikus1:
I have used the Crye Nightcap since getting into NV stuff and loved it, but on black friday I went ahead and picked up a bump helmet (TW Exfil, I know fuck them but their product is superior and it was on a great deal).

The one thing that really makes me love the nightcap even more is that I don't need a counterweight using a PVS-14, but on the helmet it seems like I do.

I really don't want to have to use one, but it seems if I want to run the helmet I have little choice. What should I go with?
View Quote
TNVC Mohawk.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 1:59:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By lilMAC25:

TNVC Mohawk.
View Quote
This is on the short list even though it seems kind of crazy to spend $70 on a counterbalance when I have a $100 nightcap that doesn't need one at all (but I digress).

Any good home brew ideas for counterbalancing? Would definitely consider this route.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 2:05:17 PM EDT
[#18]

This is on the short list even though it seems kind of crazy to spend $70 on a counterbalance when I have a $100 nightcap that doesn't need one at all (but I digress).

Any good home brew ideas for counterbalancing? Would definitely consider this route.
View Quote
I got some tire counterweights at a friends work and stuck some velcro on the front and back, worked well for a little while.  I run the TNVC mohawks now though.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 2:05:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TCBA_Joe] [#19]
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 4:18:24 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote
I debated between the Mohawk and others, as well. I settled on the EOG short. It’s got plenty of weight for a monocular or duals and fits a bump helmet nicely with Velcro. The pouch is really well made right here in the US and they’re only like $30, too. I’m glad I didn’t get a counterweight with battery storage in it. My current opinion is that it’s easier to keep spare batteries in a pocket on your clothes or in your vest. It seems like any addition or subtraction of weight to a well balanced helmet will immediately imbalance it and your head/neck will get sore in short order. The Mohawk is cool and may provide features necesssry to some folks but I like the simple pouch with dedicated weight. I think TNVC even had EOG make them, so you know it’s a rugged piece of gear. But IMO, Keep it simple and slick, especially if you’re already used to the nightcap.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 11:43:43 AM EDT
[#21]
I've been playing with upgrades. I decided to see if the Peltor Tactical Sport 100 would fit arc rail adapters. The posts are a little smaller than on the ear pro they were designed for, but they do seem to fit okay. They rattle a little bit on the posts, but when worn it doesn't make a difference.

I also added an ubertactical counterweight to the back, consisting of 54 caliber musket balls, a zip lock bag and some zip ties, along with a red LED for when I'm at the shooting range at night and don't want to get shot.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/74831/20180116_173730-422544.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/74831/20180116_173708-422543.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/74831/20180116_173643-422542.JPG
View Quote
Is that a revision helmet?
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 11:10:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By TCBA_Joe:
A Mohawk is the current hotness but there are less expensive stripped down options. I like the Opscore counterweight for $47 but EOGs an run under $30.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TCBA_Joe:

A Mohawk is the current hotness but there are less expensive stripped down options. I like the Opscore counterweight for $47 but EOGs an run under $30.
Love me some mohawk
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 1:06:09 AM EDT
[#23]
The Mohawk really is the way to go. It isn't just a counterweight.

Here is mine... Velcro at the bottom organizes the comms cables when not in use. Holds batteries in the pouch. Holds a chem light. And hold a strobe.

Link Posted: 1/20/2018 9:36:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By sbye:
The Mohawk really is the way to go. It isn't just a counterweight.

Here is mine... Velcro at the bottom organizes the comms cables when not in use. Holds batteries in the pouch. Holds a chem light. And hold a strobe.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/260726/20180119_223756-425934.jpg
View Quote
How heavy is the counterweight that is built in to the Mowhawk?
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 11:43:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sbye] [#25]
Originally Posted By DallasLooterShooter:

View Quote
I haven't weighed it, but it has the ability to be the heaviest counterweight I have ever used. With all of the weights and batteries in there it is plenty of weight to offset any binos. I'm pretty sure it goes up to 1 pound... you can remove weights if necessary too.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 10:14:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4DoorEKk] [#26]
Originally Posted By DallasLooterShooter:

View Quote
The weights aren’t built in. Theres 4 .25oz moldable lead weights that are about 1” x 4” and are held horizontally in the pouch via elastic loops.
https://tnvc.com/shop/tnvc-mohawk-mk1-counterweight/
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 11:27:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: night9] [#27]

Link Posted: 1/21/2018 3:07:53 PM EDT
[#28]
^^^
Nice setups there!
What goggles do you like more and why?  What tubes specs are in 21's?
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 9:04:55 PM EDT
[#29]
M

Seems like the mount and the thing directly under it sorta negate the advantage of the 21. Or at least make it stick out farther than I’d expect.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 9:41:10 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote
I just stuck some industrial strength velcro on the back of a pistol mag pouch and stuck a leatherman in there.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 12:56:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By FullAutoHound:

M

Seems like the mount and the thing directly under it sorta negate the advantage of the 21. Or at least make it stick out farther than I’d expect.
View Quote
Having recently gotten 21s they are petty cool. A dedicated 21 mount is helpful but not mandatory
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 2:05:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By MrPlayer:

Having recently gotten 21s they are petty cool. A dedicated 21 mount is helpful but not mandatory
View Quote
Does it really stick out that far or does the picture just exaggerate it?

I’m just curious
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 7:02:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: night9] [#33]

Does it really stick out that far or does the picture just exaggerate it?

I’m just curious
View Quote
Pic just makes it look worse. I’m also running a Wilcox L4 G21 mount which is different than the standard fix mount. This one lets you stow them.

https://tnvc.com/shop/wilcox-stowage-mount-for-anpvs-21/

Link Posted: 1/22/2018 7:28:52 AM EDT
[#34]
I always thought those 21s were super slick. From what I understand they work like a heads up display so you have a see through ability for changing lighting conditions instead of having to look underneath your goggles? pretty ninja.
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 7:18:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4DoorEKk] [#35]
Swapped the Sordins for the Peltor Comtac III dual comms.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/260726/20180114_172313-423283.jpg

Got another set of Comtac III dual comms to put on the back up setup. Just need a PVS-14 and a TNVC Mohawk.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/260726/20180114_203530-423286.jpg
View Quote
Who makes that MC cover?
Edit: just noticed the bungees. TW I’m assuming.
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 9:03:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By night9:

Pic just makes it look worse. I’m also running a Wilcox L4 G21 mount which is different than the standard fix mount. This one lets you stow them.

https://tnvc.com/shop/wilcox-stowage-mount-for-anpvs-21/
https://tnvc.com/wp-content/shopp_images/cache_320_320_0_100_80_16777215_Fixed_Mount_1-1.jpg

https://tnvc.com/wp-content/shopp_images/cache_320_320_0_100_80_16777215_Stowage_Mount_afr1.jpg
View Quote
Slick!
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 9:54:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sbye] [#37]
Originally Posted By 4DoorEKk:

Who makes that MC cover?
Edit: just noticed the bungees. TW I’m assuming.
View Quote
Yep. It's a TW helmet & cover.

I hate to say it but the TW bump is still way more comfortable than my Ops Core Carbon.

I was planning to get the 4D pads, but after coyote hunting with a friend of mine the other weekend his 4D pads were turning to rocks in the cold weather. Has anyone else had this issue? It was probably 15 degrees out and the pads were pretty hard.
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 3:17:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By carmodyh:
I always thought those 21s were super slick. From what I understand they work like a heads up display so you have a see through ability for changing lighting conditions instead of having to look underneath your goggles? pretty ninja.
View Quote
Yes, exactly like that. You don't lose any high-light definition because it's a NV HUD.
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 8:01:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By 4DoorEKk:

Is that a revision helmet?
View Quote
No, that is an ACH I attacked with a jig saw. I will eventually replace it with a revision.
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 11:44:39 PM EDT
[#40]

Yep. It's a TW helmet & cover.

I hate to say it but the TW bump is still way more comfortable than my Ops Core Carbon.

I was planning to get the 4D pads, but after coyote hunting with a friend of mine the other weekend his 4D pads were turning to rocks in the cold weather. Has anyone else had this issue? It was probably 15 degrees out and the pads were pretty hard.
View Quote
Really?  Even after wearing it for a little while?
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 12:00:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sbye] [#41]

Really?  Even after wearing it for a little while?
View Quote
Yeah. We were wearing our helmets for hours. We were stationary most of the time, so they didn't really have a chance to warm up.

I tried his helmet on when the pads were hard. I will say it wasn't super uncomfortable, but comparable to my Ops Core. I still want to get them, but if they harden in the cold I'm starting to think they may not be worth the price point.

Have you ever felt how memory foam hardens in the cold? That's kind of how these pads felt...
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 4:22:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Got a smoking deal on bnvds I couldn't pass up. Time to sell the 14s I guess. Crazy how much lighter they are than a dual 14 setup

Link Posted: 1/29/2018 10:49:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bourbon] [#43]
Picked up a Crye NightCap. Pretty sweet little piece of kit, but definitely need to put a battery pouch full of batteries or something on the rear..

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 11:04:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: murtis] [#44]
Originally Posted By awptickes:

Yes, exactly like that. You don't lose any high-light definition because it's a NV HUD.
View Quote
How perfectly is the image aligned? I remember David speaking about this and instinctive shooters, and that being harder with regular binos due to optical axis offset - he said the tubes in these are themselves adjusted to position instead of a single lens like with -14 style eyepieces.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 3:09:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Firefighter503:
Picked up a Crye NightCap. Pretty sweet little piece of kit, but definitely need to put a battery pouch full of batteries or something on the rear..

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/165125/97D5E21D-1E69-4FA2-9144-D699816D314B-434845.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/165125/704304F7-D1C8-4F9C-8381-4CA4CD856DE4-434847.JPG
View Quote
Really? I never felt that was necessary at all with a single 14. Are you sure you're getting it adjusted right?

I crank mine down tight on my face and head, but it isn't uncomfortable at all. I can't really talk very well because the chin strap constricts my mouth quite a bit. But I definitely have never felt I needed a counterweight with my Night Cap.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 5:46:33 PM EDT
[#46]

Really? I never felt that was necessary at all with a single 14. Are you sure you're getting it adjusted right?

I crank mine down tight on my face and head, but it isn't uncomfortable at all. I can't really talk very well because the chin strap constricts my mouth quite a bit. But I definitely have never felt I needed a counterweight with my Night Cap.
View Quote
I followed the directions to adjust it. It's cranked down tight. It isn't uncomfortable, but I definitely know there is a weight hanging off my face and nothing to counterbalance it..

Goal is for this to stay low profile so I can pack it easy, so I am going to try w/o a counterweight for a couple of nights/hours per night and see how I feel. I think it will be fine for wearing a little while at a time.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 5:56:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: carmodyh] [#47]

I followed the directions to adjust it. It's cranked down tight. It isn't uncomfortable, but I definitely know there is a weight hanging off my face and nothing to counterbalance it..

Goal is for this to stay low profile so I can pack it easy, so I am going to try w/o a counterweight for a couple of nights/hours per night and see how I feel. I think it will be fine for wearing a little while at a time.
View Quote
after toting a helmet around, I really want to try a nightcap... seems like a nightcap /PVS-14 set up is probably the most low profile, packable NOD you can have... except maybe for those new lightweight BNVDs from SHOT Show... those are pretty slick
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 6:05:08 PM EDT
[#48]

View Quote
This might be stupid as you have probably tried adjusting everything, but just to make sure, for me it works best when the straps going to the back are maybe a bit overtight so that your chin best counters the weight/moment caused by the NOD. I've run binos with a small counterweight on a Nightcap, though not for hours on end, but a Mum-14 I have and not needed a counterweight when adjusted. Maybe each melon shape makes a difference too.

That said a Mum-14 & Rhino II + plastic J-arm is lower weight for sure, but like I have said here previously it's almost unnoticeable, cannot imagine PVS-14 being that much worse. I don't remember the numbers, but each of the items, G24, Wilcox arm and the PVS-14 weigh more. I have tried to run the Mum with a TATM short arm dovetail and it was horrible as the weight distribution of that mount is so much more forward. Never bolted the G24 on the Nightcap as it stays on the bump, but it is nowhere near as oddly balanced as TATM.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 6:46:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4DoorEKk] [#49]
Ditched the rhino mount for a Wilcox G11... I’ll give it a try tonight out at OP Backyard..

Update: I notice because of the force to overcome method of stowing the goggle it tends to rotate the tilt adjustment so when u flip the goggle back down you have to readjust the tilt and sometimes it will hit my eye but even with that I still think it’s a ton of improvement over the rhino mount and with the adjustment to lock down the horn it’s super tight. The whole mount is tight enough to where I feel I don’t need to use the bungees. I’m happy with it. All is quiet at OP Backyard..
Second update: I thought the G11 wasn’t supposed to have the auto shutoff feature with a PVS-14 but mine shuts off when I stow it. Everything about this mount is 10x better than the gen 1 rhino mount. The rhino I would have to reach up and just move the goggle a nudge back into place every so often this one I can shake my head around and try to throw it off and it’s still where I set it nearly every time.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 8:09:33 AM EDT
[#50]

Five grand. Roughly. Looks a little different now. Not much.
https://i.imgur.com/2XxUQeg.jpg
View Quote
I call BS lol. 5k will cover optics...maybe...if you buy used. Maybe I'm wrong though. If so teach me your bargain hunting ways!!!
Page / 145
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top