Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2006 2:14:33 PM EDT
Ok here we have the classic ebay scam selling high end night vision

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7399170980

In the photo we have an ITT 6015, notice the lack of brass contacts on the housing or a variable gain knob and the "do not export" sticker on the upper housing just aft of the lens.

The description is off saying variable gain.

Generation 3
Hand-held, helment-mountable, weapon-mountable
Variable gain control for enhanced performance in altering light conditions
Lightweight- Single-battery: 355 grams
Uses universally available "AA" battery(ies)

Now the tell tale signs of "don't use the ask seller a question" in the item description with a email me here... and a buy it now price of $900.00. I will bet that the seller would accept payment via Western Union. At least no one has bid on this.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:35:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy-It-Now price disappeared.  I'll play...e-mail sent to the clown to see how it plays.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:06:55 PM EDT
[#2]

Hi,
Thank you for your email.Selling price for the item is 900$ delivery included.Here are the details you need in order to finalise the purchase.Payment for the item is via western union and will go to my associate name.All you have to do in order to complete the payment via western union is to locate the closest western union agency using www.westernunion.com, find agent location option from their home page ,go there with the money your id card and my details and complete the payment.Now here are the details you need from my side :
Ken Walter
35 great russel st
London,WC1B 3PP
UK
Email me as soon as you complete the payment with the name and address of the sender,western union 10 digits money transfer control number and also the delivery address.Will look forward for your reply with the necessar informations in order for me to arrange everything that means the delivery of the item to your address.
Yours

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:40:24 PM EDT
[#3]

There are two up right now for PEQ's.

Bigfeet
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:55:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I wonder what the minimum you can send through Westernunion is? $1.00? Send the guy a buck and tell him to go pick up his $900.00. That might be amusing.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:00:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Ebay pulled his punk card.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:55:47 AM EDT
[#6]
I got this email from him

Hi, Thank you for your email.Selling price for the item is 1100$ delivery
included.Here are the details you need in order to finalise the
purchase.Payment for the item is via western union and will go to my
associate name.All you have to do in order to complete the payment via
western union is to locate the closest western union agency using
www.westernunion.com, find agent location option from their home page
,go
there with the money your id card and my details and complete the
payment.Now here are the details you need from my side :
Ken Walter
35 great russel st
London,WC1B 3PP
UK
Email me as soon as you complete the payment with the name and address
of
the sender,western union 10 digits money transfer control number and
also
the delivery address.Will look forward for your reply with the necessar
informations in order for me to arrange everything that means the
delivery
of the item to your address.
Yours

con artists Plah!!!

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:25:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I got this email from him

Hi, Thank you for your email.Selling price for the item is 1100$ delivery
included.Here are the details you need in order to finalise the
purchase.Payment for the item is via western union and will go to my
associate name.All you have to do in order to complete the payment via
western union is to locate the closest western union agency using
www.westernunion.com, find agent location option from their home page
,go
there with the money your id card and my details and complete the
payment.Now here are the details you need from my side :
Ken Walter
35 great russel st
London,WC1B 3PP
UK
Email me as soon as you complete the payment with the name and address
of
the sender,western union 10 digits money transfer control number and
also
the delivery address.Will look forward for your reply with the necessar
informations in order for me to arrange everything that means the
delivery
of the item to your address.
Yours

con artists Plah!!!

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

I just got the same one.

Bigfeet
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:29:45 AM EDT
[#8]
I bid on another $1 PEQ with the exact same wording as the other ad, but a different seller account.  Here's the message I received from eBay:

The following is a notice from eBay Trust & Safety regarding:

Item Number - 7399337656

Item Title - Insight AN/PEQ-2A Infrared Laser IR PAQ PEQ-2A PEQ

Our records show that you placed a bid on this item. We removed this item from the Site and cancelled your bid because it appears that the seller's account has been compromised and used by an unauthorized third party. The seller's privileges to trade on eBay may be temporarily suspended while we investigate this matter further. Due to privacy concerns we will not be able to share further details related to this seller.

If the seller asks you to complete this transaction outside of eBay, we strongly recommend that you do not proceed with the transaction and do not respond to the seller. Transactions for items listed on eBay but then completed off of the eBay platform are not covered by buyer protection programs offered by eBay and can be highly indicative of fraud. For more information on Offers to Buy or Sell Outside of eBay, copy and past the following Help Page link into your browser: http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/rfe-spam-non-ebay-sale.html.

If you have already paid for this item but have not received it, you should take all possible steps to receive reimbursement.  

1. Stop payment with your bank if you paid by check.
2. Contact the Security Department of your credit card company to file a chargeback if you paid via credit card.
3. If you paid via Western Union or MoneyGram, contact the company directly (Western Union 800-325-6000 or MoneyGram 800-926-9400).
4. If you paid with PayPal, you may be eligible for up to $1,000 USD coverage at no cost. To file a claim with PayPal, login to your PayPal account and copy and paste the following link into your web browser:  /csg/p?www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/protections-buyer-outside.  Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the File a Claim link. PayPal claims must be filed within 45 days of the close of the listing. It may take at least 30 days to complete the investigation and resolve the dispute.  
5. If you did not pay with PayPal and would like to file a claim with eBay, please initiate the Item Not Received Process online directly from the Security and Resolution Center at the bottom of the eBay.com page.  
6. eBay claims must be filed within 60 days of the end of the listing.

Our goal is to ensure that your eBay experience is safe so that you can buy confidently. It is rare that something goes wrong with a transaction on eBay.  However, in the event it does, we would like to provide as much assistance as possible to help resolve the issue.

Please do not respond to this email, as your reply will not be received.

Regards,
Customer Support (Trust and Safety Department) eBay Inc

How are the accounts being hijacked?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:56:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Accounts are not being hijacked.  That form letter is just administrative mumbo-jumbo they spout when yanking an auction.

Hope no one fell for this.  I'll be in his neighborhood soon and could pay him a visit.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:04:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Accounts are not being hijacked.  That form letter is just administrative mumbo-jumbo they spout when yanking an auction.

Hope no one fell for this.  I'll be in his neighborhood soon and could pay him a visit.

Its happening....a friend had his account taken, he fell for those spoof emails, and last week, someone changed his email address on ebay, and then put up for auction, a 3 day auction, a Bobtail.

Don't click links people......
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:03:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Uuooooohhh.  I recant my previous post.  This thread started as a simple warning against bidding on high dollar kit and sending the money overseas.  But now that you mention it, you must mean people are falling for those spoof emails such as:

"Your eBay account has been comprimised" or
"Unauthorized access to your eBay account" or
"Your eBay registration has expired", etc.

Yea.  I guess people are getting hijacked by clicking those links.  Folks, if eBay has something to tell you, they will notify you from WITHIN eBay.

On a similar note, I work as basically in a secure military environment.  And even with our safeguards there was spy-ware, keystroke tracking spy-ware, on our systems.  We found the compromises using a FREE program called Ad-Aware.  This is a free shareware program you can download online.  Since our system already uses an active firewall we don't use the upgraded Ad-Aware they try to sell you when downloading updates.  I highly suggest using the free version.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:22:02 PM EDT
[#12]
If it's too good to be true...

SSDD.  New seller (zero feedback) is overseas offering an incredible price with unspecified payment options.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:58:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I bid on another $1 PEQ with the exact same wording as the other ad, but a different seller account.  Here's the message I received from eBay:

The following is a notice from eBay Trust & Safety regarding:

Item Number - 7399337656

Item Title - Insight AN/PEQ-2A Infrared Laser IR PAQ PEQ-2A PEQ

Our records show that you placed a bid on this item. We removed this item from the Site and cancelled your bid because it appears that the seller's account has been compromised and used by an unauthorized third party. The seller's privileges to trade on eBay may be temporarily suspended while we investigate this matter further. Due to privacy concerns we will not be able to share further details related to this seller.

If the seller asks you to complete this transaction outside of eBay, we strongly recommend that you do not proceed with the transaction and do not respond to the seller. Transactions for items listed on eBay but then completed off of the eBay platform are not covered by buyer protection programs offered by eBay and can be highly indicative of fraud. For more information on Offers to Buy or Sell Outside of eBay, copy and past the following Help Page link into your browser: http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/rfe-spam-non-ebay-sale.html.

If you have already paid for this item but have not received it, you should take all possible steps to receive reimbursement.  

1. Stop payment with your bank if you paid by check.
2. Contact the Security Department of your credit card company to file a chargeback if you paid via credit card.
3. If you paid via Western Union or MoneyGram, contact the company directly (Western Union 800-325-6000 or MoneyGram 800-926-9400).
4. If you paid with PayPal, you may be eligible for up to $1,000 USD coverage at no cost. To file a claim with PayPal, login to your PayPal account and copy and paste the following link into your web browser:  /csg/p?www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/protections-buyer-outside.  Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the File a Claim link. PayPal claims must be filed within 45 days of the close of the listing. It may take at least 30 days to complete the investigation and resolve the dispute.  
5. If you did not pay with PayPal and would like to file a claim with eBay, please initiate the Item Not Received Process online directly from the Security and Resolution Center at the bottom of the eBay.com page.  
6. eBay claims must be filed within 60 days of the end of the listing.

Our goal is to ensure that your eBay experience is safe so that you can buy confidently. It is rare that something goes wrong with a transaction on eBay.  However, in the event it does, we would like to provide as much assistance as possible to help resolve the issue.

Please do not respond to this email, as your reply will not be received.

Regards,
Customer Support (Trust and Safety Department) eBay Inc

Brute force attacks on passwords or spoof emails. My account was brute forced a while back but ebay caught on to it when they tried to sell a stolen car with it! Needless to say, my password now uses the full spectrum of keyboard symbols instead of the standard alphanumeric. Does anyone know if these guys are in the same league as the "please email me before bidding, or I will cancel your bid" sellers also offering expensive items for ridiculously low prices?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:06:30 AM EDT
[#14]

Does anyone know if these guys are in the same league as the "please email me before bidding, or I will cancel your bid" sellers also offering expensive items for ridiculously low prices?

I presume these two events CAN be parts of the same scheme.
1. Hijack an account, change the password and email address.
2. List gear for low prices with payment via Western Union.
The fraud is complete before either victim knows it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:09:50 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

actually my account got hijacked two weeks ago.  I was checking my "selling" links and noticed a five thousand dollar patek phillip watch that I was "selling".
Luckily I caught it fast,  cancelled the auction, contacted ebay and changed all my info.

I'm in IT pro and have not clicked on a hot link in years. I run hard and soft firewalls and spyware stuff. I have no idea how I got snagged.

my theory is the kids maybe clicked on something.

anyway, if you are a seller, pay close attention.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:00:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Play the game, its the only way to catch them. I had a Tahoe listed on EBay and Craigs list, selling price 7000. I get a emial fron ahamed in god knows where...........says he wants a commission so will buy it for 9500 if I refund him the diff.
SURE, not a problem, gave him fake name and P O Box. Get an email a day asking if I have got it yet, it came in a week, never touched it (prints retain on paper longer than anywhere else, just easy to oblitirate if you handle the paper). "Money Order" was drawed on Bank Of America
Took it, along with his emails instructing me to send reimbursement via western union to his 2 state side friends in NYC.
Took the fake instrument to their seccurity dept. and they were overjoyed to have the item untouched and 2 addresses for his compadres.
They stated that they work with the Treasury Dept. and can only catch 3-4 % of these ass holes.
But hey, thats better than 0.

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:29:56 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Play the game, its the only way to catch them. I had a Tahoe listed on EBay and Craigs list, selling price 7000. I get a emial fron ahamed in god knows where...........says he wants a commission so will buy it for 9500 if I refund him the diff.
SURE, not a problem, gave him fake name and P O Box. Get an email a day asking if I have got it yet, it came in a week, never touched it (prints retain on paper longer than anywhere else, just easy to oblitirate if you handle the paper). "Money Order" was drawed on Bank Of America
Took it, along with his emails instructing me to send reimbursement via western union to his 2 state side friends in NYC.
Took the fake instrument to their seccurity dept. and they were overjoyed to have the item untouched and 2 addresses for his compadres.
They stated that they work with the Treasury Dept. and can only catch 3-4 % of these ass holes.
But hey, thats better than 0.

Congrats did they catch him?

HOPE SO ! ! !

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top