Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 14
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 2:43:06 PM EDT
[#1]
misc photos from last night. No moon and some good cloud coverage.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 2:55:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 3:55:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ARADDICT556:

holy crap thats clear!! nice pics
View Quote
It really is clear.  I am starting to wonder if my iPhone X is limiting what my tube can show.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 4:13:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 4:29:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks everyone!

It's one of N-Vision's zone 3 blem PVS-14s with an unfilmed L3 WP tube. Absolutely love it
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 4:37:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By AZ2A:
Thanks everyone!

It's one of N-Vision's zone 3 blem PVS-14s with an unfilmed L3 WP tube. Absolutely love it
View Quote
Thanks, just found your thread on it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 7:58:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Ft Moultrie

Yorktown

Ravenel Bridge
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 11:42:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 6:26:29 PM EDT
[#9]
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/482038/20180923_005925-683206.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/482038/20180921_222540-683207.JPG

photo from some weekend training and one on the job site after hours
View Quote
Is that a blemish in the middle?
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 7:03:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By DefenderAO:

Is that a blemish in the middle?
View Quote
Yes, it is. Sold that unit to a member here for a good price.

Pic thread Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 12:35:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HootieWho] [#11]
I got permission from the NPS to do some night filming in the Cataloochee Valley in NC using the PVS-31a. I wanted to get out while the elk were still in rut and we had a good moon/clear cold night.

This is a lone bull feeding about 1/2 mile from a herd. Distance was about 80 yards.

Cataloochee Valley NC Elk 2018 filmed with night vision

Decent NC herd with a good sized Bull middle left. The quality of video can mess with you. While good, it isn’t anything like what I see. These elk were ~ 120 yards. I could clearly count his rack points. This bull kept a near constant eye on me. Every single time I would try to ease down the paved road a bit he would look over at me just like...

There was another good sized bull at the far end of the road, several hundred yards off that I could see clear as day but he didn’t show up well in the video.

Cataloochee Valley NC Elk Herd 2018 Rut
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 5:11:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Here's my pistol shooting at Colma Warrior East this year with three lpmr-14 mk 2

TheMollusk Pistol (night) Cola Warrior East 6
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 8:52:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By themollusk:
Here's my pistol shooting at Colma Warrior East this year with three lpmr-14 mk 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMo2yR1Tz_Y
View Quote
That RDS on the pistol is the shit with NODs.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 8:54:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By HootieWho:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I love my slide mounted dots but at night the alg 6sm with aimpoint is king
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 5:27:59 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote
Talk to me about the LPMR.  Everyone I've seen running one is doing it on binos.  I'm not spending bino money just to record.  How much does it obstruct your view or mess things up running it on a -14?
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 6:13:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By 35Remington:

Talk to me about the LPMR.  Everyone I've seen running one is doing it on binos.  I'm not spending bino money just to record.  How much does it obstruct your view or mess things up running it on a -14?
View Quote
Honestly it's not bad once you get there eye relief right. I'm using mine on a single mod 3 and it's kinda like your nose, when you look for it it's always in your line of sight but when you're moving around doing stuff you really don't notice it.

Couple of down sides:

It records individual one minute videos (to "avoid corrupting videos" but I think its just a function of these small processor) but they're pretty easy to edit together with some of the free editors out there.

There's no on or off switch, it's always on them it's plugged in. They recommend plugging it in and leaving it on which with my 64gb card I did for hours without filling the card or killing my battery. Finding the clips I wanted was kinda a chore but doable.

I use some cheapo USB cell phone charger battery in a tnvc mohawk and it works well. Any specific questions or pics beyond that?

Link Posted: 10/22/2018 8:25:22 PM EDT
[#17]

Honestly it's not bad once you get there eye relief right. I'm using mine on a single mod 3 and it's kinda like your nose, when you look for it it's always in your line of sight but when you're moving around doing stuff you really don't notice it.

Couple of down sides:

It records individual one minute videos (to "avoid corrupting videos" but I think its just a function of these small processor) but they're pretty easy to edit together with some of the free editors out there.

There's no on or off switch, it's always on them it's plugged in. They recommend plugging it in and leaving it on which with my 64gb card I did for hours without filling the card or killing my battery. Finding the clips I wanted was kinda a chore but doable.

I use some cheapo USB cell phone charger battery in a tnvc mohawk and it works well. Any specific questions or pics beyond that?

https://i.imgur.com/MipwKq7.jpg
View Quote
Thanks. Pic from the business end?
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 10:10:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Bought the cheap walmart mount.  Can't seem to focus too well with it yet.  Quick backyard pic.  Photonis echos

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 10:11:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 11:21:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Thanks. Pic from the business end?
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/23/2018 8:51:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Wow.

Link Posted: 10/23/2018 9:17:29 AM EDT
[#22]

Couple of down sides:

View All Quotes

Couple of down sides:

He pretty much nailed it. It is definitely a light weight smaller option. I find I do not notice the camera when under nods. I do run binos but I also pivot the right nod up to run a thermal while scanning. I keep the camera on my left eye. No issues.

I made the suggestion to the mfg, but the option of a time/date stamp on the video would be nice.

PVS-31a with Because Operator cam
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 10:46:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CTM1] [#23]
Anyone inquire with the manufacturer if they are working on a hardened unit to work with NV scopes etc.

Do you guys think it can stand any recoil. Example mounting it onto a 14 and the 14 onto a 22 cal rifle or a 9mm?
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 12:26:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By CTM1:
Anyone inquire with the manufacturer if they are working on a hardened unit to work with NV scopes etc.

Do you guys think it can stand any recoil. Example mounting it onto a 14 and the 14 onto a 22 cal rifle or a 9mm?
View Quote
I saw the manufacturer or at least one of their distributors advertise the LPMR as a recording option for thermal weapon sights that do not have built-in recording options. That tells me someone thinks they're centerfire-rated.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 2:23:03 PM EDT
[#25]
That camera looks really nice for the money. I sent them an email the other day to ask whether or not they knew if it was compatible with the DEP Ether eyepieces. I haven’t gotten a response yet.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 3:15:46 PM EDT
[#26]

I saw the manufacturer or at least one of their distributors advertise the LPMR as a recording option for thermal weapon sights that do not have built-in recording options. That tells me someone thinks they're centerfire-rated.
View Quote
I talked to the mfr about running it on a REAP-IR (Has the -14 eyepiece).  He said they do it frequently and it works well.  There are several videos on YouTube of hunts recorded via this method.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 1:35:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By jon101st:
What time and direction for milky way shot. I have not seen it like in the pics when using my 14's.
Does it only look like that only in the pics or can you see it like that with just looking through 14's
View Quote
Sorry just now seeing this. 10PM in a very dark location in Texas. I do not know what direction. It's twice as beautiful in person.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 11:39:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Went out earlier tonight to a pasture where a couple coyotes have been harrassing the cattle. I’ve seen one 3 nights in a row here and got set up on him. The reflection under the tree is my call. I put IR reflective tape on it so anyone I take hunting can see it and not shoot it. There was another coyote to the left of those 2 trees but this one was the best shot.

Coyote called and shot, filmed with PVS-31a and Because Operator Cam
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 2:58:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Went out earlier tonight to a pasture where a couple coyotes have been harrassing the cattle. I’ve seen one 3 nights in a row here and got set up on him. The reflection under the tree is my call. I put IR reflective tape on it so anyone I take hunting can see it and not shoot it. There was another coyote to the left of those 2 trees but this one was the best shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7uFea8DXKY
View Quote
Awesome that you got it on tape (even though we cannot see a coyote).  Why is the horizon so tilted?
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 8:27:15 PM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 11/6/2018 8:58:13 AM EDT
[#31]
2 South Carolina Coyotes with Foxpro Shockwave, Because Operator Camera, and PVS-31a
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 9:03:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Awesome that you got it on tape (even though we cannot see a coyote).  Why is the horizon so tilted?
View All Quotes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7uFea8DXKY
The cam rotates on the eyepiece, but when I roll my head to aim it can get cocked. This cam is like a gopro in that things up close turn out good, but at distance it is difficult to pick up a coyote even though I can see it in the NODs. I’ve noticed watching the video past 100 yards you’ll just see the eyes reflect in the IR Light.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 12:09:12 PM EDT
[#33]

The cam rotates on the eyepiece, but when I roll my head to aim it can get cocked. This cam is like a gopro in that things up close turn out good, but at distance it is difficult to pick up a coyote even though I can see it in the NODs. I’ve noticed watching the video past 100 yards you’ll just see the eyes reflect in the IR Light.
View Quote
Cool. Just watched your other video from this morning. Definitely can't see them.  Would be cool if you filmed yourself walking up to the downed yotes so we could get a look.  Happy hunting!
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 11:59:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Why do some pictures of WPs have a blue hue and some look more black and white? Camera, specs, light pollution? Which hue do they have to the naked eye?
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 12:14:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AZ2A] [#35]
Originally Posted By Caeser2001:
Why do some pictures of WPs have a blue hue and some look more black and white? Camera, specs, light pollution? Which hue do they have to the naked eye?
View Quote
I notice a pretty big difference between L3 and the European WP tubes in regards to hue. My L3 has a bit more blue but it's definitely a little exaggerated when photographed (especially on my phone).

The top photo is how it appears once photographed through my Samsung Note 8 and the bottom has been edited to more accurately portray how my eyes actually see the image through the tube. Keep in mind this is just what I see in my specific tube so it can very significantly depending on the gear, person, etc

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 12:33:28 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote
Probably the "white balance" or "color balance" setting on the camera that took the picture.
Wiki -- Scroll to the bottom to see examples
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 3:43:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Photonis WP tubes checking in. I have some that look black and white, blue, and everything in between. iPhone 8 Plus. I think it’s just different lighting conditions.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 2:21:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks. Thinking about picking up one of those blemished unfilmed wp pvs14s.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 2:59:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Still very happy with mine! Highly recommend it
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 4:11:20 PM EDT
[#40]

He pretty much nailed it. It is definitely a light weight smaller option. I find I do not notice the camera when under nods. I do run binos but I also pivot the right nod up to run a thermal while scanning. I keep the camera on my left eye. No issues.

I made the suggestion to the mfg, but the option of a time/date stamp on the video would be nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTJYJlg6U40
View Quote
There is a gen 3 LPMR in the works. Improved housing, time/date stamp, improved electronics, and a change in the way the video is saved to the cards. They are very rugged, and even this generation is good to go on recoiling weapons.

It's an awesome product and it is only going to get better.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:54:28 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote
To add a little to the above responses, when your image sensor is capturing a scene, it's trying to find a neutral grey to white balance what it's seeing - so when you take a photo indoors it's not too yellow and outside it's not too blue. When all the camera or phone sees is a monochrome image, it's trying to shift that to grey but white phos is so far from neutral grey it can't get there. On the way, it'll wander a bit and sometimes get green, other times more blue, etc. You can see in the thumbnails below, the photos I take through a WP tube have quite a bit of variability to them - whether you had the tube on before you started the app, or flipped it on after the camera was already on, how long it's been hunting for a white balance, all of that - definitely switches around between green/blue/teal quite frequently. I try to group them together into similar color tones then edit them to be more similar to what my eye recalls from the experience looking through the tube - much more of a light blue hue than straight black/white greyscale. Here's the album from the last TNVC pro course with the finished photos: https://jwramp.smugmug.com/Shooting-Courses/Oct-2018-TNVC-ArmedPro/

Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:42:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By ljh824:
Bought the cheap walmart mount.  Can't seem to focus too well with it yet.  Quick backyard pic.  Photonis echos

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/166491/20181022_211510_jpg-714185.JPG
View Quote
Damn that looks amazing, just making it tougher to decide between L3’s of Echos
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:52:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By jwramp:

To add a little to the above responses, when your image sensor is capturing a scene, it's trying to find a neutral grey to white balance what it's seeing - so when you take a photo indoors it's not too yellow and outside it's not too blue. When all the camera or phone sees is a monochrome image, it's trying to shift that to grey but white phos is so far from neutral grey it can't get there. On the way, it'll wander a bit and sometimes get green, other times more blue, etc. You can see in the thumbnails below, the photos I take through a WP tube have quite a bit of variability to them - whether you had the tube on before you started the app, or flipped it on after the camera was already on, how long it's been hunting for a white balance, all of that - definitely switches around between green/blue/teal quite frequently. I try to group them together into similar color tones then edit them to be more similar to what my eye recalls from the experience looking through the tube - much more of a light blue hue than straight black/white greyscale. Here's the album from the last TNVC pro course with the finished photos: https://jwramp.smugmug.com/Shooting-Courses/Oct-2018-TNVC-ArmedPro/

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4826/44002806070_df42037e1a_h.jpg
View Quote
That's awesome.  Remind me what your shooting setup is again?
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 10:51:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Odd thing happened last night when taking some photos with my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 through my NVision WP unit... I have no idea how or why but the helmet strobe was glowing green and showed up green when I took the photo haha

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 9:29:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Flagstaff AZ snowbowl.  Cloud cover was pretty much total. Photonis echo WP filmless.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 11:19:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Odd thing happened last night when taking some photos with my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 through my NVision WP unit... I have no idea how or why but the helmet strobe was glowing green and showed up green when I took the photo haha

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/482038/20181208_074845_jpg-764935.JPG
View Quote
That’s funny.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 12:26:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By NVjunkie:
Flagstaff AZ snowbowl.  Cloud cover was pretty much total. Photonis echo WP filmless.
https://i.imgur.com/4Gkpaoz.jpg
View Quote
Looks nice.

Is that a yeti to the left of that far left tree?
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 5:06:19 PM EDT
[#48]
https://i.imgur.com/3fviHih.jpg
View Quote
Hmm. I now wonder if it's possible to make a big, wide tube to give that panoramic view. I'm sure it'd be heavy though.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 12:54:39 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 9:53:53 AM EDT
[#50]
My BNVD's

Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top