BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 6:53:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As simple as the eform is on the .gov site, why would you bother with SS?

I've used SS for suppressor and SBR stamps, so I'm aware how that process works.  I submitted for a SBR on the .gov site on 11-13, stamp in my email on 11-27.  Submitted for suppressor on 11-28...
View Quote
Because all my stuff was already in the system and ready to go from doing form4, so it was saving some time/effort.  Keyword there is “was”, it’s turned into more of a headache
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 7:33:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I've used SS for suppressor and SBR stamps, so I'm aware how that process works.  I submitted for a SBR on the .gov site on 11-13, stamp in my email on 11-27.  Submitted for suppressor on 11-28...
View Quote
Since I’ve done both the SS route is worth the $36 to me for the click it and be done with it if they get their shit together.  The ATF site seems to crash for me on my Mac a lot.  Then I have to go through the trouble of print mailing etc.  My view is like that because of what the others have said. They already have my info from a form 4 transfer they are doing for me.  Now if I had to go find a kiosk and work through that then it probably wouldn’t be worth it for me over just using the ATF site.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 10:47:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's what I've been wondering. I will admit my first efile took me about 45 min to figure out, after that I could complete one in about 15 min from start to finish. I already had a stack of fingerprint cards and used my phone for the picture.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 5:28:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm about to submit a Form 1 in the next couple of weeks (still listed as Out of Stock on SS website). This will be my first one with 41P.

Is there anyway for me to get a copy of my finger prints and photos from SS since they have all of that from a Form 4 (still pending) that I used them for from earlier this year?
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 5:37:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm about to submit a Form 1 in the next couple of weeks (still listed as Out of Stock on SS website). This will be my first one with 41P.

Is there anyway for me to get a copy of my finger prints and photos from SS since they have all of that from a Form 4 (still pending) that I used them for from earlier this year?
View Quote
Contact them, I think they charge like $15 for prints.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 5:45:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will do. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 6:13:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 7:45:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
...and for half that amount, you could buy a fingerprint pad. Free cards from the ATF. In business to roll as many FP cards as you need.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

...and for half that amount, you could buy a fingerprint pad. Free cards from the ATF. In business to roll as many FP cards as you need.
Yeah, I might just do that instead. Amazon has a couple of finger print pads with decent reviews for about $7.

Already ordered the FP cards from ATF earlier today just in case.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 2:45:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Single shot trust like the poster just above you said, and an easy way of providing fingerprints...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Single shot trust like the poster just above you said, and an easy way of providing fingerprints...
Corporate Ownership with 4 RPs

Self submission:
8 Fingerprint cards @ $7.00 each = $56.00
Parking downtown for fingerprinting = $40.00 (4 RPs @ $10 per vehicle)
Time spent chasing down fingerprint cards for 4 RPs = immeasurable
$96.00 + time spent if I submitted a Form 1 myself

SilencerShop submission = $34.95
Time spent purchasing and filling out the Form 1= less than 1/2 hour

Total savings by using SS = $60.00 plus a lot of time

Even with the wait it's worth it to me............ NFA stuff requires a lot of patience and I learned to live with it a long time ago.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 9:20:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 5:49:21 PM EDT
[#11]
mine has been in since 10/6/18 I don't think they are going to get this fixed. they held it for over 3 weeks b4 efiling it then atf had issues with ss and they(ss) said it would be 2 weeks b4 I would get an email to certify. then 30 days out from there for approval the 2 weeks and the 30 days have passed and nothing, no email nada. ss is not really handling this very well. now they get kind of short when you inquire. they should at least keep customers updated. mine has been in submitted electronically for over 10 weeks.
my form 4 had the check cashed 4 days after filing at the beginning of November.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 7:25:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
mine has been in since 10/6/18 I don't think they are going to get this fixed. they held it for over 3 weeks b4 efiling it then atf had issues with ss and they(ss) said it would be 2 weeks b4 I would get an email to certify. then 30 days out from there for approval the 2 weeks and the 30 days have passed and nothing, no email nada. ss is not really handling this very well. now they get kind of short when you inquire. they should at least keep customers updated. mine has been in submitted electronically for over 10 weeks.
my form 4 had the check cashed 4 days after filing at the beginning of November.
View Quote
One thing to remember Thanksgiving, Bush's funeral, Christmas, End of Year, and now the government shutdown.  How much do you really think has been done on the government side since the middle or so of November?   I'll grant you I'm kind of pissed about this.  I've got three of them sitting there in that limbo w/o any word from them, but I do understand how much the government may have screwed them on this.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 11:25:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Silencer Shop "held it for three weeks" in an attempt to provide a faster approval based on information they had available to them at the time.  They knew before you and me (yes I have a form 1 service pending through them too) efile was coming down the pipe and had even been working with the ATF to get the process streamlined before initiating the form 1 efile service.  Had they filed via paper as soon as you submitted in October causing you a months-long wait going the traditional route, you would have been pissed if individuals who started the process after were getting two-week approvals.  They tried to do you a favor, but they are now bound by circumstances beyond their control.  IMHO, they are handling this situation much better than expected.  I am guessing the ATF seriously underestimated the popularity of the SS form 1 service and suspected something fishy.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:22:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
They called and told me I'd get $75 store credit and a swag bag for all this shit.

Good thing I already have another AR SBR or it'd really piss me off.
View Quote
When I was called by them in early Dec they said that swag would be going out any day. Yesterday (basically 1 month later) I was told 'yeah, we're going to wait to send that stuff out AFTER ATF makes their decision / fixes things'.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 5:47:35 PM EDT
[#15]
FYI: I bought ink pad and card holder on ebay and ordered the print cards directly from the ATF.

After a couple of practice runs I think the prints turned out fine.

I would highly recommend anyone considering doing it themselves to just go ahead and do it -- it's really not that bad at all.

I submitted everything like the week before the shutdown, so I have no idea if they will be accepted, but I highly doubt they will be rejected.

I'll report back here if for some reason they do get rejected, but I am skeptical they do anything other than give a quick glance at them to make sure they look decent and then move on to whatever is next.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 3:28:52 PM EDT
[#16]
I used SS Form 1 service right when it came out in 2017 and everything went as expected. Decided to Form 1 another lower and found this thread. I think I am willing to try the ATF eForm route. couple of questions.

1. Can SS print all RPs prints off so I can mail them in?
2. Will I need to submit any other doc besides my trust when I submit to the ATF.

I think the above will help me get started. Any guidance is appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 5:35:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
FYI: I bought ink pad and card holder on ebay and ordered the print cards directly from the ATF.
View Quote
I change my own oil in my vehicles, just buy the right weight and rating oil, good quality filter (I tend to actually buy the OEM, but YMMV).

Oh wait, that's not relevant to this thread about SS's E-Form 1 service either!
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 1:21:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I used SS Form 1 service right when it came out in 2017 and everything went as expected. Decided to Form 1 another lower and found this thread. I think I am willing to try the ATF eForm route. couple of questions.

1. Can SS print all RPs prints off so I can mail them in?
2. Will I need to submit any other doc besides my trust when I submit to the ATF.

I think the above will help me get started. Any guidance is appreciated.
View Quote
Give them a call and they will sell you a set of your prints for $15.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 2:07:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Has anybody done these recently? Is silencershop actually submitting Form 1s again?
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 2:12:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Has anybody done these recently? Is silencershop actually submitting Form 1s again?
View Quote
My 3 I submitted last year are going through the process.  I've had to sign the forms on all of them.   Then later I got an email that had me go to the Eform site, check a box, and submit it.  1 of the three shows "Form 1: Submitted Electronically on 2/25/2019 (Fingerprints Mailed)"    The others show a variant on "Form 1: Submitted Electronically on 2/25/2019 (Pending Research)" which the first one showed before it showed fingerprints mailed.   They seem to be processing stuff, or they were.  I haven't seen any movement on mine since 2/25.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 8:54:31 PM EDT
[#21]
I contacted the shop today and inquired about finger print cards. I have 4 including mine to get and was told for privacy reasons I could only get mine and not anyone elses. I get it. I may go by tomorrow and pick mine up and see what additional steps the other folks need to do in order to get theirs. 3 RPs are here in Austin and we can get them easily. The 4th is in DFW so that makes it more difficult. I am ready to start the Form 1 eform process sans their service. I have researched and already started filling out forms. It is not too complex.

I also inquired how much longer it would be until the SS would be able to offer the Form 1 service again. They said hopefully soon. They received verbal approval from the ATF a week and a half ago. They will proceed with their process once they get the approval in writing. No ETA not that. Good news yes, as for when, who knows. If I am able to go tomorrow I will post back any additional details as pertainent.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 9:15:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I contacted the shop today and inquired about finger print cards. I have 4 including mine to get and was told for privacy reasons I could only get mine and not anyone elses. I get it. I may go by tomorrow and pick mine up and see what additional steps the other folks need to do in order to get theirs. 3 RPs are here in Austin and we can get them easily. The 4th is in DFW so that makes it more difficult. I am ready to start the Form 1 eform process sans their service. I have researched and already started filling out forms. It is not too complex.

I also inquired how much longer it would be until the SS would be able to offer the Form 1 service again. They said hopefully soon. They received verbal approval from the ATF a week and a half ago. They will proceed with their process once they get the approval in writing. No ETA not that. Good news yes, as for when, who knows. If I am able to go tomorrow I will post back any additional details as pertainent.
View Quote
All they have to do is call SS and have the forms mailed.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 11:28:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

All they have to do is call SS and have the forms mailed.
View Quote
That’s the impression I got. Just have to coordinate. 3 of us are 20 min from the shop so those should be easy.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 11:40:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 4:36:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Hey I can't wait for Silencer Shop anymore for my Form 1 and would like to verify if I am doing this right. I plan on just mailing the forms to and not doing E-File?

I am in Michigan and I was going to use Dept of Justice , Bill Schuette Attorney General in Lansing to mail my CLEO copy to, is this correct?
I am mailing the Form 1 with Fingerprint card(s)and check $200.00? to this address

National Firearms Act Division (ATF Forms 1 and 4)
P.O. Box 5015
Portland, OR 97208-5015

On the fingerprint card Signature Official box would be my name signed, The Employer Address would be Self and my address and the Reason Fingerprinted box would be Form 1?

Any Help would be appreciated
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 4:46:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Hey I can't wait for Silencer Shop anymore for my Form 1 and would like to verify if I am doing this right. I plan on just mailing the forms to and not doing E-File?

I am in Michigan and I was going to use Dept of Justice , Bill Schuette Attorney General in Lansing to mail my CLEO copy to, is this correct?
I am mailing the Form 1 with Fingerprint card(s)and check $200.00? to this address

National Firearms Act Division (ATF Forms 1 and 4)
P.O. Box 5015
Portland, OR 97208-5015

On the fingerprint card Signature Official box would be my name signed, The Employer Address would be Self and my address and the Reason Fingerprinted box would be Form 1?

Any Help would be appreciated
View Quote
I'd still do the Efile thing directly in that case.   It should substantially cut the turnaround time.    At least in theory.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 4:49:52 PM EDT
[#27]
I’ve got 3 with SS. Oldest is at about 300 days, then one submitted about 2 months after that one, and then the last got caught up in the whole ATF fiasco. Only today was able to certify that one through the ATF e-form site via number sent to me by SS.

Had one go through when they first started. Slick when it works.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 9:51:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 8:38:40 AM EDT
[#29]
You do not need Silencer Shop to do your Form 1. E-file is really simple. I did my first one in January and it is super easy. My Form 1 came back in 30 days.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 9:31:40 AM EDT
[#30]
The ONLY thing that makes SS worth it is digital finger prints.

I've done 3 different ones since November.  Got my prints done by a place that does them digitally, and saves them. I can roll in a and have two cards printed up in minutes for $20.  Done.  Yeah, yeah...roll your own. I have enough shit cluttering up my office.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 10:12:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The ONLY thing that makes SS worth it is digital finger prints.
View Quote
Contrarian: digital fingerprints *AND* the One-Shot Trust

TL;DR version "Convenience"

Yeah, all of it, including duplicating a trust *COULD* be DIY... but the One-Shot Trust doesn't even require a visit to a notary.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 10:39:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Mine was resubmitted on 2/25 and they claim my fingerprints were mailed that day. We'll see how long this takes!
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 1:28:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
They are resubmitting those that were held up in limbo since efile started, but their Form 1 service is still out-of-stock, which means they aren’t doing new ones yet.  I’m sure working through the existing backlog first.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 2:15:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

They are resubmitting those that were held up in limbo since efile started, but their Form 1 service is still out-of-stock, which means they aren't doing new ones yet.  I'm sure working through the existing backlog first.
View Quote
I'm not certain they're doing much with them right now. I had all three of mine go through them to get resigned, all of them linked to the EForm page to get that done, then one of them immediately said fingerprints mailed.  The other two are pending review.    This all happened on 2/25.  Seems like they turned it on, it started to process, then it stopped again.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 9:39:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yeah, all of it, including duplicating a trust *COULD* be DIY... but the One-Shot Trust doesn't even require a visit to a notary.
View Quote
They charge you $5 for that convenience too.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 9:55:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I'm not certain they're doing much with them right now. I had all three of mine go through them to get resigned, all of them linked to the EForm page to get that done, then one of them immediately said fingerprints mailed.  The other two are pending review.    This all happened on 2/25.  Seems like they turned it on, it started to process, then it stopped again.
View Quote
How do you figure SS has stopped doing anything?  Once the application is accepted into the efile system and SS mails the fingerprints, the rest is all BATF.  It sounds like two of your forms are waiting for the BATF to start the review, and one the BATF hasn’t got around to yet.  What status do you expect them to have.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 10:01:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$5 for which? Regardless, I think everyone agrees convenience costs money...
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 11:40:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
How do you figure SS has stopped doing anything?  Once the application is accepted into the efile system and SS mails the fingerprints, the rest is all BATF.  It sounds like two of your forms are waiting for the BATF to start the review, and one the BATF hasn't got around to yet.  What status do you expect them to have.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you figure SS has stopped doing anything?  Once the application is accepted into the efile system and SS mails the fingerprints, the rest is all BATF.  It sounds like two of your forms are waiting for the BATF to start the review, and one the BATF hasn't got around to yet.  What status do you expect them to have.
I filled out all three of them on the 25th.   Was directed to the EForms site and did it for all three.   Then one of them went to Fingerprints mailed right away.   Nothing on the other two.   From my end it looks like things changed on 2/25 and then nothing.  The other two are stuck on Pending Review.  I don't know anything and we don't get updates but haven't seen anything on the two since I finished my part.  I like a lot of things about Silencer Shop.  They've made it easy for me to finally get into suppressors, but they seem to go quiet when there's a problem and that's the wrong response IMO.  I also seem to remember reading the other day they had a verbal approval from F Troop, but nothing in writing.
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 12:15:38 AM EDT
[#39]
I stopped by yesterday and today and got my finger print cards and one of my RPs prints. The third  person is having them mailed. Just one more to go. Per the two different people I talked to, they have a 1000 or so back log. They have just rewritten their software to accommodate the new process and when they get written approval they will begin to move those through. If all goes smoothly, they will turn the Form 1 process back on. If you have all your prints on file with them I believe it is worth it especially if the RPs are in different locales. My time is worth more than the $40 for the service but to each his own. I am ordering my lower tommorow and should be able to submit in a couple of weeks.
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 12:27:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

How do you figure SS has stopped doing anything?  Once the application is accepted into the efile system and SS mails the fingerprints, the rest is all BATF.  It sounds like two of your forms are waiting for the BATF to start the review, and one the BATF hasn’t got around to yet.  What status do you expect them to have.
View Quote
SS had to halt their process, ergo stop submitting paperwork. They have that 1000+ to go through and will be emailing customers to make a few additional steps in the process to get things in motion again. Part of that is sending the prints to the ATF which I believe they have started as it was pointed out to me the 8-9 medium priority USPS boxes that were being wheeled out while I was there - “those are all finger prints”. They are working as fast as they can but are subject to the speed of the Fed. Add a 30+ day shut down and 1000+ in backlog and things get complicated. In the several years I have done business with them they have always been up front and set expectations. I do understand in regards to that your mileage may very.
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 11:53:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

SS had to halt their process, ergo stop submitting paperwork. They have that 1000+ to go through and will be emailing customers to make a few additional steps in the process to get things in motion again. Part of that is sending the prints to the ATF which I believe they have started as it was pointed out to me the 8-9 medium priority USPS boxes that were being wheeled out while I was there - “those are all finger prints”. They are working as fast as they can but are subject to the speed of the Fed. Add a 30+ day shut down and 1000+ in backlog and things get complicated. In the several years I have done business with them they have always been up front and set expectations. I do understand in regards to that your mileage may very.
View Quote
I’m aware of the history.  My comment was directed to jhereg, who seemed to imply that the process is stopped again after being restarted becaus he hasn’t seen any status change on his items since 2/25.  My point is that there is nothing to indicate that means the process is stopped again.
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 2:42:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I'm aware of the history.  My comment was directed to jhereg, who seemed to imply that the process is stopped again after being restarted becaus he hasn't seen any status change on his items since 2/25.  My point is that there is nothing to indicate that means the process is stopped again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SS had to halt their process, ergo stop submitting paperwork. They have that 1000+ to go through and will be emailing customers to make a few additional steps in the process to get things in motion again. Part of that is sending the prints to the ATF which I believe they have started as it was pointed out to me the 8-9 medium priority USPS boxes that were being wheeled out while I was there - "those are all finger prints". They are working as fast as they can but are subject to the speed of the Fed. Add a 30+ day shut down and 1000+ in backlog and things get complicated. In the several years I have done business with them they have always been up front and set expectations. I do understand in regards to that your mileage may very.
I'm aware of the history.  My comment was directed to jhereg, who seemed to imply that the process is stopped again after being restarted becaus he hasn't seen any status change on his items since 2/25.  My point is that there is nothing to indicate that means the process is stopped again.
I've tried be clear that I don't know what's happening, but I don't think I've seen anyone who has gone past pending review since 2/25.  1 of mine did on that date.  I also seem to remember reading they had a verbal OK on it but not a written.  My 3 form 1s were moving at about the same time when things reset.   Now they're not.   I'd love to see some kind of info they're actually moving on it, but I'm not seeing it from here.
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 9:34:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

$5 for which? Regardless, I think everyone agrees convenience costs money...
View Quote
To buy a stamp through SS is $205.

Filed on the ATF site last night, control number assigned today, and prints in the mail tomorrow...
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 10:21:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
To buy a stamp through SS is $205.
View Quote
Ah, gotcha - agreed - although I wonder if $5 even covers their credit-card processor's fee...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top