Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2017 4:43:46 PM EDT
When selling a machine gun to a dealer, what is the loss of market value - aka what is the trade in value vs selling price?
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 4:48:55 PM EDT
[#1]
20%
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 5:28:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:31:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I would say 20% would be high, but it seems fair. A realtor gets about 7%. 7k on a 100,000 sale is about the same ammount of work as 6k selling a 30,000 m16rr. 14k on a 200,000 house is pretty close to a 70k rare belt fed. It sounds like a lot, but they do a lot of work.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:44:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
When selling a machine gun to a dealer, what is the loss of market value - aka what is the trade in value vs selling price?
View Quote

Depends on the dealer.

Believe it or not, a lot of the big collections are sold at 50% or less of FMV. They get away with this because the dealer can pay cash on the spot, and the seller does not want to deal with selling lots of guns on at a time.

As a result, a lot of big dealers will not even deal with a single guy selling a single gun, unless it is easy-peasey and probably 1/3 off min.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:46:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I contacted frank to "sell" my m16 just for fun once and he offerd about 80% of market value. So if you buy a MG you should be able to sell it to a dealer and break even after about 2 years of ownership
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 2:26:26 PM EDT
[#6]
In the summer of 2015, I decided to trade my factory Colt M16-A1 in on a Thompson SMG.

I was offered $22K by the dealer just to buy the gun from me and $23K in trade toward an in stock Thompson.

I believe they were going for about $24K at the time.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 10:23:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Depends on the dealer.

Believe it or not, a lot of the big collections are sold at 50% or less of FMV. They get away with this because the dealer can pay cash on the spot, and the seller does not want to deal with selling lots of guns on at a time.

As a result, a lot of big dealers will not even deal with a single guy selling a single gun, unless it is easy-peasey and probably 1/3 off min.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends on the dealer.

This is my take as well.  For example, IIRC the city of St. Louis, MO sold off their 27 Thompson submachine guns last summer.  It was a mixed lot but included mostly Colt made guns and at least a couple of rare (Model 1927) guns.  The city would only sell as a single lot.  A dealership bought them all for an average of about $22K per gun.  That's $594K up front.  The guns have all been sold with the Colt Thompson prices running mostly from $35K to $45K depending on condition, but I don't know if that range includes the Model 1927 guns.

The few times I've sold machine guns, most dealers weren't even interested in talking to me, but that was quite a few years ago (last time was in 2011) when there were a lot more machine guns in the market place.  The landscape is more lean now, so dealer attitudes may have changed.

Best of luck!

MHO, YMMV, etc.

ETA:  One of the city of St. Louis, MO PD Model 1927 Thompsons is for sale now at $47.5K.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top