Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2017 4:35:10 PM EDT
Say I manufacture a receiver and decide to SBR it.

Since I am the maker and intend to make it class 3 I would have to assign it a model and serial number.

So you would engrave the following on the receiver

Maker:
Chase45
Model:xxxx
Serial no 1

Am I tracking this right? Then that info would go into the appropriate "name and address of original maker"

Correct?
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 4:41:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Since I am the maker and intend to make it class 3 I would have to assign it a model and serial number.

Maker:
Chase45
Serial no 1

Am I tracking this right? Then that info would go into the appropriate "name and address of original maker"

Correct?
View Quote

Yes, except they don't like the "1" for serial # IIRC.

Or maybe it was model 1 and serial 1 that got them upset.  "But, the Army does that!"  :|
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 4:44:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Pretty much, except "original manufacture" would be "form 1 registration" or something like that since it's built from a non-firearm.  That's how mine were done with agent help.

You'll also have to have city/state on the lower, and caliber somewhere on the upper, lower or barrel.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 4:45:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yes, except they don't like the "1" for serial # IIRC.

Or maybe it was model 1 and serial 1 that got them upset.  "But, the Army does that!"  :|
View Quote
Right on Ill keep that in mind. I just looked at the new form 1s, looks like a bit has changed since I did one last time around.

Any other weird things they don't like in association with serial numbers or model numbers

Does the model number even have to be a real model number? I'm thinking about doing a MP5SD from a flat, but could I put model: Myprettypinkponey

Obviously that's exaggerated of what I would do, but just wondering
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 4:47:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Right on Ill keep that in mind. I just looked at the new form 1s, looks like a bit has changed since I did one last time around.

Any other weird things they don't like in association with serial numbers or model numbers

Does the model number even have to be a real model number? I'm thinking about doing a MP5SD from a flat, but could I put model: Myprettypinkponey

View Quote
Model is whatever you want it to be.  For my .45 PDW, it was my initials followed by "45".  the serial number was the same thing, followed by "-1"
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 4:47:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Pretty much, except "original manufacture" would be "form 1 registration" or something like that since it's built from a non-firearm.  That's how mine were done with agent help.

You'll also have to have city/state on the lower, and caliber somewhere on the upper, lower or barrel.
View Quote
Gotcha

Perhaps its worth a call when I finally do get around to it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 4:48:24 PM EDT
[#6]
As I understand it, you can make the receiver yourself and register it as an SBR but it needs a serial number
and that serial number should not be something that would be likely to be repeated.

I think if you were to use your initials and create a number to go with it, that'd be OK.

For example, I'd use my initials, digits from the year I made it, and a sequential number for every one I made,
so I'd end up with,  as an example.   A15401B.    AB as the initials, 15 for making it in 2015, and 401 being the
serial number, which I'd start at 400 just to avoid starting at 000.

This is an example, not a real world serial number.  Just something I made up for the purposes of discussion.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 4:48:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Model is whatever you want it to be.  For my .45 PDW, it was my initials followed by "45".  the serial number was the same thing, followed by "-1"
View Quote
Was that the magpul fold down gun you built from airsoft?
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 5:34:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Only SN has to be on receiver.

And Model is optional, not required.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/27/479.102
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 6:15:13 PM EDT
[#9]
(1) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed) or placed on the frame or receiver thereof an individual serial number. The serial number must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed, and must not duplicate any serial number placed by you on any other firearm. For firearms manufactured, imported, or made on and after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of the serial number must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size no smaller than 1/16 inch; and

(2) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed), or placed on the frame, receiver, or barrel thereof certain additional information. This information must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered or removed. For firearms manufactured, imported, or made on and after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of this information must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch. The additional information includes:

(i) The model, if such designation has been made;

(ii) The caliber or gauge;

(iii) Your name (or recognized abbreviation) and also, when applicable, the name of the foreign manufacturer or maker;

(iv) In the case of a domestically made firearm, the city and State (or recognized abbreviation thereof) where you as the manufacturer maintain your place of business, or where you, as the maker, made the firearm; and
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 6:41:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 9:58:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have only done cans.
I used model numbers as my initials+caliber.
I used serial numbers as my initials+caliber+3-digit serial number.

The oddest thing I ever got back was a sticky-note on the approved form saying I had to use the entire trust name on the can and not the abbreviation I had legally included in the trust formation paperwork.  A sticky-note...really?  How is that vaguely legally binding?  I still use the whole name cause I like it on the outside.  Heck, I would hand-stamp the whole preamble on my cans before I would stop making them.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:18:33 AM EDT
[#12]
For my 80% SBR and the 3 form 1 cans I have done I just go with MKI, MKII, MKIII etc for the model and do 00001, 00002, 00003, etc for the serial number and haven't had any problems.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 1:25:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Maker:
Chase45
Serial no 1

Correct?
View Quote

Don't forget City and State.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top