Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/15/2017 8:54:42 PM EDT
Thank you in advance for your help, guys. I'm moving out of state to another state that allows silencers and SBRs. My google search reveals that I can convert my SBR (an AR15) to a normal 16" rifle before I move and not have to get permission beforehand (I already destroyed the 14" upper receiver because the barrel cracked). Is that correct?

So my main question is, do I still use Form 4320.20 to notify the ATF that I moved my SBR's lower receiver after I move?
And, do I use a Form 4320.20 to notify the ATF after I move, that I moved my silencers?
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 9:22:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Thank you in advance for your help, guys. I'm moving out of state to another state that allows silencers and SBRs. My google search reveals that I can convert my SBR (an AR15) to a normal 16" rifle before I move and not have to get permission beforehand (I already destroyed the 14" upper receiver because the barrel cracked). Is that correct?

So my main question is, do I still use Form 4320.20 to notify the ATF that I moved my SBR's lower receiver after I move?
And, do I use a Form 4320.20 to notify the ATF after I move, that I moved my silencers?
View Quote

When I did my NC to TN move - I notified both the ATF, and my NC and TN Sheriff (Via 5320.20's - 1 ea for my SBR and CAN).

I also gave a detailed explanation of exactly what I was doing, and verified everything before I moved anything. All parties were actually very helpful in the process.

Unless something has changed - the correct form is 5320.20 (not 4320.20)

-Chris
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 9:31:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

OK, this is a little confusing.

First of all, you would use a 5320.20 to get permission for interstate transport of your SBR, if in fact is was an SBR.

Silencers do not require prior approval.

Martinsburg will approve a 5320.20 for a silencer although it is not required.

So, if you put your SBR and your silencer on the same form, both will get approved.  

If you are doing this before you move, I would not confuse things with the 16 inch upper.  Just submit the Form and check the box that indicates that it is a permanent move.

If you are moving before you have time to get a 5320.20 approved, you are in a unique situation that does not usually apply.  You have a registered lower that has a 16+ inch barrel that is not currently under the purview of the NFA and you have a silencer that does not require prior approval...so, you can move before your form is approved.

But, you can't put a short upper on the registered lower until you have an approved Form 5320.20.

If i'm not totally confused then I think I have addressed your question.

You do not need to notify any local LEAs unless there are State restriction on NFA item.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 10:08:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you very much! I will fill out the form and mail it in when I get to my new state. I'll include a letter explaining that I moved with the rifle in non-SBR configuration, just so they know I did it legally.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 2:32:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you very much! I will fill out the form and mail it in when I get to my new state. I'll include a letter explaining that I moved with the rifle in non-SBR configuration, just so they know I did it legally.
View Quote
Don't confuse them more or give them a reason to question your actions. Just fill out the form and mail it in.

Have you already started your move?
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 3:34:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Please forgive me for jumping in op.

Even though silencers don't require approval, would it be wise to submit a form anyways to update your address?

Anything else one would need to know when moving to a new state with a silencer? Anything regarding a trust?
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 12:58:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Even though silencers don't require approval, would it be wise to submit a form anyways to update your address?
View Quote
Why do anything more than required? The legislature decided what is acceptable according to the law.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 1:21:18 PM EDT
[#7]
why did you destroy your SBR upper over a bad barrel? and the lower is still a registered SBR no matter what upper you put on it
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 1:45:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 7:08:04 PM EDT
[#9]
You're right, why write a letter if I don't have to. It just raises questions. I want them to mail the paperwork to my new address though. I move in 2.5 weeks. So I haven't moved yet.

Once I do move, do I use Form 5320.20 to notify them of my new address? Or do I just write a letter with the details? I google searched and found that one person tried to submit a 5320 for that, but I'm not sure that's the proper way.

Thanks guys!

The barrel was bad so I destroyed that. I dismantled the upper receiver/handguard and cannibalized the parts (I guess "destroyed" was the wrong word to use).
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:24:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You're right, why write a letter if I don't have to. It just raises questions. I want them to mail the paperwork to my new address though. I move in 2.5 weeks. So I haven't moved yet.

Once I do move, do I use Form 5320.20 to notify them of my new address? Or do I just write a letter with the details? I google searched and found that one person tried to submit a 5320 for that, but I'm not sure that's the proper way.

Thanks guys!

The barrel was bad so I destroyed that. I dismantled the upper receiver/handguard and cannibalized the parts (I guess "destroyed" was the wrong word to use).
View Quote
Put your new address in Box 1.  That is the address the approved Form will be mailed to.  Put your current address in Box 6.  Put your new address in Box 7.  Check Box 2 NO.  In Box 5 put Permanent Change of Address.

Include the SBR and Silencer, even though the Silencer is not required.  This will properly update the registry.

Don't make it any harder or confusing.

This is one of the simplest form there is, don't make it hard.

Don't include any extra info or confusing letters.

Once you have you approved Form you can re-configure the SBR lower into an SBR.

You have looked at the Form 5320.20 right?? https://www.atf.gov/file/4781/download
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 10:55:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Put your new address in Box 1.  That is the address the approved Form will be mailed to.  Put your current address in Box 6.  Put your new address in Box 7.  Check Box 2 NO.  In Box 5 put Permanent Change of Address.

Include the SBR and Silencer, even though the Silencer is not required.  This will properly update the registry.

You have looked at the Form 5320.20 right?? https://www.atf.gov/file/4781/download
View Quote
This is the way to do it.  Nothing more.

Edited to Add:  I used my new address in boxes 1 and 7.  I also faxed them to 304-616-4501.  Instructions also allow you to e-mail them as scanned documents to [email protected].
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 6:07:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
If there is any concern with the form reaching you, just remember to setup mail forwarding to the new address.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 6:43:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 8:12:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

And hope the USPS forwards the envelopes, which it usually doesn't.

You can request they are sent to a different address if needed.
View Quote
There is no annotation of "Do Not Forward" on the envelope.

I don't know why they would not forward it, if a proper change of address is in place.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 9:04:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Sometimes mail from official government agencies is not forwarded, even when the individual has mail forwarding set up.

Thanks for your help, you guys are great.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 9:32:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Sometimes mail from official government agencies is not forwarded, even when the individual has mail forwarding set up.

Thanks for your help, you guys are great.
View Quote
If the address you want the Form sent to is in Box 1, you are gtg.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 3:52:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Don't want to Hi-jack too bad or start a new thread...  But it is acceptable to a SBR lower with a 16" upper across state lines without any NFA paperwork?
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 5:05:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Don't want to Hi-jack too bad or start a new thread...  But it is acceptable to a SBR lower with a 16" upper across state lines without any NFA paperwork?
View Quote
Technically, yes. Once the short barreled upper is removed from the lower, it is no longer under purview of the NFA guidelines.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:44:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:56:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

While there is always a lot of discussion around how useful ATF letters are, they answered that exact question in this manner:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/126679/IMG_0362_PNG-337362.png

The "above-noted procedures" were the instructions on using a 5320.20. But, without a short barrel, you can't have a short-barreled rifle.
View Quote
Another good reason to have a Pistol build handy.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:36:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Another good reason to have a Pistol build handy.
View Quote
Yep, and it is a cheap answer to so many questions.  It should be the first thing anyone does when they get into the AR-15 variant SBR hobby.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top