Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2017 6:34:07 PM EDT
Long story short I got a MP5 pistol in a trade a few weeks back and want to have the barrel threaded, but I was told by a gunsmith he wouldn't do it and that once it was made into a rifle it is always a rifle. Anybody know the ruling on going pistol to rifle back to pistol? I was under the impression that it was GTG. I guess I could of left the pistol to rifle to pistol part out of the email but there is a hole drilled in one of the lugs where the fake can was attached. Also any one know where I can get the barrel threaded?
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 7:19:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you sure it was originally a pistol? It sounds like it was a rifle with a fake can pinned to meet the barrel length requirement. Don't see why someone would pin a muzzle device to a barrel on a pistol. What kind of mp5 is it? Is it a GSG "mp5". If it was sold as a pistol from the factory and can become a rifle back to pistol if you wish. If it was sold as a rifle with stock and pinned muzzle device to meet the 16" barrel length, you can't make it a pistol.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:09:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you sure it was originally a pistol? It sounds like it was a rifle with a fake can pinned to meet the barrel length requirement. Don't see why someone would pin a muzzle device to a barrel on a pistol. What kind of mp5 is it? Is it a GSG "mp5". If it was sold as a pistol from the factory and can become a rifle back to pistol if you wish. If it was sold as a rifle with stock and pinned muzzle device to meet the 16" barrel length, you can't make it a pistol.
View Quote
Started as a pistol, I know the original owner. After I got my Bobcat clone rifle I wanted a pistol to run my suppressor since I decided against sending a form 1 for the rifle and we worked a trade. He bought it has a pistol and thought he would like it better as a rifle but changed his mind at some point, I definitely would not of made a deal if I thought this wasn't true.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:31:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Long story short I got a MP5 pistol in a trade a few weeks back and want to have the barrel threaded, but I was told by a gunsmith he wouldn't do it and that once it was made into a rifle it is always a rifle. Anybody know the ruling on going pistol to rifle back to pistol? I was under the impression that it was GTG. I guess I could of left the pistol to rifle to pistol part out of the email but there is a hole drilled in one of the lugs where the fake can was attached. Also any one know where I can get the barrel threaded?          
View Quote

If his gunsmithing is as bad as his knowledge of ATF regulations...........find another gunsmith.
ATF Ruling 2011-4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top