Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2017 8:13:41 PM EDT
I have an approved form 1 for a suppressor i was going to make and its going on 1 year and 11 months. I never made the suppressor let alone bought parts to make it. I know i can request a refund but how long does this go for? I heard somewhere that i had up to 2 years to request and thats coming up in the next 2-3 weeks but im not sure if thats true or not?? The file date was october 1st 2015 but the approval date was january 27th 2016.

I'd rather not make the suppressor due to upcoming laws about suppressors will be changing sometime in the future and thier refund date in the new laws are october 22 2015. so as you see I would like to get a refund if possible since any new suppressor after october 22nd 2015 would be refunded and mine fall short of that new law. Does anyone know if its based on the file date or approval date?
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 8:32:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have an approved form 1 for a suppressor i was going to make and its going on 1 year and 11 months. I never made the suppressor let alone bought parts to make it. I know i can request a refund but how long does this go for? I heard somewhere that i had up to 2 years to request and thats coming up in the next 2-3 weeks but im not sure if thats true or not?? The file date was october 1st 2015 but the approval date was january 27th 2016.

I'd rather not make the suppressor due to upcoming laws about suppressors will be changing sometime in the future and thier refund date in the new laws are october 22 2015. so as you see I would like to get a refund if possible since any new suppressor after october 22nd 2015 would be refunded and mine fall short of that new law. Does anyone know if its based on the file date or approval date?
View Quote

That law ain't changing.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 8:33:45 PM EDT
[#2]
you might be right but if someone knows the answer to my question then i would appreciate a reply.

thanks
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 8:59:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
you might be right but if someone knows the answer to my question then i would appreciate a reply.

thanks
View Quote
"When an applicant to make or transfer a firearm wishes a refund of the tax paid on an approved application where the firearm was not made pursuant to an approved Form 1 (Firearms) or
transfer of the firearm did not take place pursuant to an approved Form4 (Firearms), the applicant shall file a claim for refund of the tax on ATFForm 2635 (5620.8) with the Director.
The claim shall be accompanied by the approved application bearing the stamp and an explanation why the tax liability was not incurred.
Such claim shall be filed within 3 years after payment of the tax."

Straight from the regs......
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:01:09 PM EDT
[#4]
i think ill make some calls this week to find out but if 3 years is the truth then i will wait a little while longer to see what happens with the suppressor laws. Im not confident that its going to pass but im hoping it will.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:28:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
i think ill make some calls this week to find out but if 3 years is the truth then i will wait a little while longer to see what happens with the suppressor laws. Im not confident that its going to pass but im hoping it will.
View Quote
It is, it's not just some ATF position, the 3 year time frame is codified in the law.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/27/479.172
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:29:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 11:03:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you wait until it appears that SHUSH / HPA / whatever might pass, there will be a line a year long in front of you to purchase any components that could be used in the construction of a suppressor (unless you are a machinist with a lathe and mill), and commercially produced cans as well.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 11:33:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I wouldn't count your chickens before they hatch.  without throwing offense at you, if the 200 bucks you're looking to get back from them makes or breaks any decisions you make about suppressors or other nfa items, then nfa items aren't for you.

obligatory, go be poor somewhere else?  

make that puppy and be quiet.  pun fully intended
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:36:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I wouldn't count your chickens before they hatch.  without throwing offense at you, if the 200 bucks you're looking to get back from them makes or breaks any decisions you make about suppressors or other nfa items, then nfa items aren't for you.

obligatory, go be poor somewhere else?  

make that puppy and be quiet.  pun fully intended
View Quote
I'm far from poor and I own 10 NFA devices. To be honest I am kinda bored with it all. The first 4 were exciting and then after that the new shiny feeling wore off.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 11:01:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If you wait until it appears that SHUSH / HPA / whatever might pass, there will be a line a year long in front of you to purchase any components that could be used in the construction of a suppressor (unless you are a machinist with a lathe and mill), and commercially produced cans as well.
View Quote
This ^

I'm not waiting. Bought my first can last year, the second was purchased 4 hours after bringing home my first one. .

If it does pass, I've got a head start on suppressing my stuff. If I get any kind of refund it will go back in the fun money jar and be used on whatever is top of the doable wish list.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 1:40:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm far from poor and I own 10 NFA devices. To be honest I am kinda bored with it all. The first 4 were exciting and then after that the new shiny feeling wore off.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:18:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 5:46:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If I get any kind of refund it will go back in the fun money jar and be used on whatever is top of the doable wish list.
View Quote
I'm not counting on any refund. IF either of those acts pass, the refund part will not be included. Knowing what little bit I do about how politics works, the tax refund line is disposable. Fully intended not to be part of the final bill, but included as a bargaining chip. That type of fluff is normally included with the intent to give that line away in exchange for enough votes to pass it. It also serves as an advertising piece for the sponsors to get re-elected, so that they can tell their base "Look at what we tried to do for you."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top