Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2017 3:34:26 AM EDT
I was thinking about what might happen in states where it is illegal to own a suppressor unless federally registered if the feds end up deregulating them.

It seems like a potential hurdle to ownership in states with laws only allowing the private ownership of federally registered nfa items, where the majority would just as soon not allow anyone to purchase a new suppressor and are therefore would be unlikely to change the law at the state level.

How do those of you in states with laws like this see things playing out.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 3:41:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Won't happen so no sense speculating.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 4:14:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Won't happen so no sense speculating.
View Quote
You never know. Washington is run by total commie left wing kooks, but they passed bills to legalize silencers once, and SBRs twice in the last 6-7 years. Amazingly, the SBR bill got something like 90% "yays" in the house. Even some Seattle area democrats voted for it. The SHARE Act at the federal level has MUCH more political support. I'm not saying it will pass, I'm just saying that every once in a while I'm surprised by a pro-gun bill passing. It does happen. Just look at the history of CC and registered silencers.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:21:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Connecticut will "crack down on silencers" and pass still more shitty laws and make more instant felons.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:28:18 AM EDT
[#4]
This is a problem in PA. It would turn people currently with them into criminals overnight so three options would happen. 1) prev registered cans would have to be turned in. 2) prev registered cans would be exempt and a law would have to be passed for that. 3) last and best option would be a new law deregulating cans like the federal law has done. Obv the first scenario is the worst and last one the best.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:49:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
This is a problem in PA. It would turn people currently with them into criminals overnight so three options would happen. 1) prev registered cans would have to be turned in. 2) prev registered cans would be exempt and a law would have to be passed for that. 3) last and best option would be a new law deregulating cans like the federal law has done. Obv the first scenario is the worst and last one the best.
View Quote
Why?  If they are federally registered now, they are federally registered and will therefore be in compliance with the state law.

I think your concerns would only apply to prospective purchases IF and when the feds decide to deregulate.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 11:28:35 AM EDT
[#6]
If, and it sounds like an insurmountable if, it passes, that's one thing I wouldn't worry about here in ID.   My senator, Mike Crapo is one of the sponsors.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 1:12:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Can you link this law?

I found where this would apply to machine guns, but not to where it would apply to suppressors.  I can see how it could be made to apply to guns with integral cans, but I'm not seeing how it would apply to suppressors themselves.

I guess you can read it to make a firearm illegal when you put the can on, but then legal when you take the can off, but I'd be happy to take my chances with that one.

I'm looking under section 908 Prohibited offensive weapons.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 1:55:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Can you link this law?

I found where this would apply to machine guns, but not to where it would apply to suppressors.  I can see how it could be made to apply to guns with integral cans, but I'm not seeing how it would apply to suppressors themselves.

I guess you can read it to make a firearm illegal when you put the can on, but then legal when you take the can off, but I'd be happy to take my chances with that one.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can you link this law?

Correct, section 908 under the exceptions portion.

or that, with the exception of a bomb, grenade or incendiary device, he complied with the National Firearms Act (26 U.S.C. §5801 et seq.)
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 2:38:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
So where does it mention suppressors at all?  The closest thing is "firearm specially made or specially adapted for concealment or silent discharge"

Suppressors don't meet the definition of firearm in this section and are not listed under the definitions for offensive weapons in this section.

Heck, if they wanted to they could probably outlaw all small handguns with that section, so it comes down to interpretation.  Lacking case law (if you can quote some I'd read it) , I can't tell you how it would be interpreted, but I still think cans would likely be ok if the HPA passed.

HPA will still never pass though.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 3:40:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Texas has already passed laws to make it legal to own when the HPA does pass in what ever form that may be.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 4:04:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So where does it mention suppressors at all?  The closest thing is "firearm specially made or specially adapted for concealment or silent discharge"

Suppressors don't meet the definition of firearm in this section and are not listed under the definitions for offensive weapons in this section.

Heck, if they wanted to they could probably outlaw all small handguns with that section, so it comes down to interpretation.  Lacking case law (if you can quote some I'd read it) , I can't tell you how it would be interpreted, but I still think cans would likely be ok if the HPA passed.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True PA doesn't recognize cans as firearms but like you said, it could be interpreted if the HPA passed due to the silent discharge stipulation in 908 I would think as an "offensive weapon".

Offensive weapons" Any bomb, grenade, machine gun, sawed-off shotgun with a barrel less than 18 inches, firearm specially made or specially adapted for concealment or silent discharge,
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 6:24:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

True PA doesn't recognize cans as firearms but like you said, it could be interpreted if the HPA passed due to the silent discharge stipulation in 908 I would think as an "offensive weapon".
View Quote
I agree with you, as long as it is attached to a firearm.  They'd never be able to be able to do anything about possession alone.

Not the best situation to be in for sure, but not the worst either.

If that were the case, I would most likely continue to use all my cans.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top