Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2017 3:01:22 PM EDT
Maybe this has been answered, but are the requirements of a 5320.20 form waived during a state of emergency, such as the hurricane where people from FL evacuated to GA? Surely you can't be expected to leave your NFA items behind.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 3:26:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I know nothing from a legal standpoint, but I "doubt" there would be any consequences in the end given the circumstances....there aren't ATF agents on the hunt for disaster victims to my knowledge. But really I have no idea so if anyone has real info, disregard :)
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 5:24:42 PM EDT
[#2]
There was a post over on bowers board by Ammunication Sales Co in FL that the ATF was requesting folks in FL fax in 5320.20 with the hurricane name written across the top and they would get priority approval.

The post also mentioned that the ATF considered a printout of confirmation of fax sent  under those circumstances to be approval permission to evacuate with your NFA firearms.

It sounds like the ATF was robo-dialing dealers in Florida with this message, presumably to pass along to customers.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 7:19:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Very interesting and something I will keep in mind for the future. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:00:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I saw the posting about it on subguns.com the other day as well.  

Not sure if the law supports the ATF's approach or not.  (but who's going to ticket them?  Or even complain, for that matter?)  Then again, I'm not sure if the requirement for travel approval is an actual law, or just an administrative ATF edict to begin with.  

What I do know is I generally file a 365-day 5320.20 every year for any nearby state that my stuff is legal in, as well as any other state that I even think I may want to visit in the coming year.  That way I'm not stuck waiting on some bureaucrat to stamp a piece of paper before I can leave with my stuff.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 5:42:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I am considering bringing a can to a rifle shoot in November in TX and I reside in WA state. If I filed in the next day or so would I get an approval in time?
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 6:50:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am considering bringing a can to a rifle shoot in November in TX and I reside in WA state. If I filed in the next day or so would I get an approval in time?
View Quote
Last one I emailed in was approved in three weeks. Should be GTG.

However, a 5320.20 is NOT required for silencers.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 1:11:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Last one I emailed in was approved in three weeks. Should be GTG.

However, a 5320.20 is NOT required for silencers.
View Quote
So I do NOT need to file a form 5320.20 and may freely take my silencer from WA to TX?
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 2:48:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Basically yes. You may have to watch out for states/municipalities in between. FOPA can protect you, if you meet its guidelines, but the level of protection is somewhat dubious.

That's why many people seek approved 5320.20's for everything. It's just something fancy looking to hand to people with badges. 
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 6:57:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Basically yes. You may have to watch out for states/municipalities in between. FOPA can protect you, if you meet its guidelines, but the level of protection is somewhat dubious.

That's why many people seek approved 5320.20's for everything. It's just something fancy looking to hand to people with badges. 
View Quote
Can't speak for other states, but in Texas LEOs cannot enforce interstate transportation of NFA. But they can enforce unregistered NFA. So if you are going to have a fancy form to hand people with badges, you might want to make it an approved registration one.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:28:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top