Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2017 11:30:23 AM EDT
I know what the absolute right answer is.  Start with a new receiver.  Barring that, this is my question.  

I did some gun swapping locally about a year ago.  One of the items was a used AR receiver.  The receiver was traded stripped (except for bolt catch).   It is a spikes receiver that is generally sold stripped.  I honestly do not know the history of this receiver.  It does show wear marks so it looks like it was fully assembled and used.  

I acquired this receiver a couple of years ago.  

I'd like to make this into a pistol with a brace.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 11:42:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Best you can do is call Spikes and verify they did not sell it as a rifle originally. Past that neither you nor anyone else can show it was ever a rifle.

It's not perfect but as long as spikes says it was not built as a rifle when it left their possession I'd be comfortable building it as a pistol.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 12:12:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Best you can do is call Spikes and verify they did not sell it as a rifle originally. Past that neither you nor anyone else can show it was ever a rifle.

It's not perfect but as long as spikes says it was not built as a rifle when it left their possession I'd be comfortable building it as a pistol.
View Quote
That's a great idea.  I'll do that.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 3:34:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Whenever my friends aren't looking, I always slip rifle stocks on to their lowers and then quickly remove them before anyone notices or detects my devious subterfuge.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 4:35:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:31:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Doesn't make any difference unless you also attached a barreled upper.
View Quote
Doubt it makes a difference either way!!!

:)
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:42:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I know it.   Doesn't make any difference.   I try to stay on correct side of the law.  

I donspeed sometimes though.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:44:31 PM EDT
[#7]
But, yes OP, you're right to make sure the firearm was not built that way by a manufacturer. That is a sure indication the ATF will know the same and that you don't want to mess with.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 8:55:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
But, yes OP, you're right to make sure the firearm was not built that way by a manufacturer. That is a sure indication the ATF will know the same and that you don't want to mess with.
View Quote
I'll call Spikes tomorrow.   I didn't have the serial number on me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top