Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 66
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 12:36:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I think there is more than that. I dont buy the were swamped. I think that could be some of it but there has to be more.  cause I did 8 form 1 over 4 months, half paid. I have received back 3. so I have 5 form 1 out there and 2 form 4 sitting out there the cans dont shock me. but the from ones make me go WTF. cause they were submitted at the same time they picked 1 out of each group I sent. so since the back ground check is good for 100 days, I just dont get it. like ok you got 3 back ground checks with good to go.  look at the others and use the 3 good NTN.

but there I go trying to understand any govt agency .
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 12:41:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Glocked] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By VTD:
I've never been delayed on a regular in-store NICS check before.

Both my cans were approved without issue as well.

I'm not terribly concerned but it would be nice to see some movement. A buddy of mine went the SS route and was approved in a few weeks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By VTD:
Originally Posted By TactiCoolBro:

Individual. Paper prints which they received 2 days after applying.

I'm assuming during that mid Jan to mid Feb period they got slammed with Form 1's since that's when the brace shit was really getting heavy. NICS got severely backed up and now FBI is dragging their feet working through the backlog of delays.
I've never been delayed on a regular in-store NICS check before.

Both my cans were approved without issue as well.

I'm not terribly concerned but it would be nice to see some movement. A buddy of mine went the SS route and was approved in a few weeks.

Nearing 90 days myself. Everything is slower for me, always. When they call NICS for a 4473, they always get put on hold for 5-10 minutes for “further review” and it has to be approved by someone with a Brady ID. My NFA stuff has always been slower than everyone else too.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 5:45:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Bought 4 cans June - Aug of last year.

The first and last have been approved but not the middle 2.

How annoying.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 9:47:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Well looks like my senator got a response from ATF, and it's not good.

All 3 of my NICS checks are delayed, with the first NICS check being run a month ago.  I have a perfect criminal record- not even a speeding ticket.  It's my understanding that delayed = denied for NFA items, unless you get super lucky and get a UPIN before the 90 day time limit on a background check expires.

I did notice that when I moved to FL background checks take 30-45min, but I chalked that up to the state system being slow as FL doesn't use NICS.  In other states I'd only have to wait 5min.  I have bought multiple guns and have a concealed carry license.  I even had a form 1 approved back in 2019 with no issues.

I'm at a loss as to what to do next.  I asked my senators office if they could contact FBI and see what's the problem with my background.  Everything I see related to UPIN's has people tracking down their arrest records and sorting things out.  However I literally have nothing to show because my background is perfect.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 9:57:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TactiCoolBro] [#5]
Originally Posted By biometrician:

All 3 of my NICS checks are delayed, with the first NICS check being run a month ago.  I have a perfect criminal record- not even a speeding ticket.  It's my understanding that delayed = denied for NFA items, unless you get super lucky and get a UPIN before the 90 day time limit on a background check expires.

I did notice that when I moved to FL background checks take 30-45min, but I chalked that up to the state system being slow as FL doesn't use NICS.  In other states I'd only have to wait 5min.  I have bought multiple guns and have a concealed carry license.  I even had a form 1 approved back in 2019 with no issues.

I'm at a loss as to what to do next.  I asked my senators office if they could contact FBI and see what's the problem with my background.  Everything I see related to UPIN's has people tracking down their arrest records and sorting things out.  However I literally have nothing to show because my background is perfect.
View Quote

As soon as I found out I was delayed on mine, I applied for a UPIN. It didn’t even take a week for them to approve me for it.

I’m asking an examiner now if they can re run my check using the NICS check. I’m hoping they will, but I have a feeling they might say no since the UPIN wasn’t on my original application.

Mine has been delayed since March 16. Like you, I don’t recall ever getting a delay for a NICS check in the past.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 11:21:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: vellnueve] [#6]
Originally Posted By biometrician:

View Quote

No, they've gone well over 90 days in the past and eventually get approved. IIRC the issue is that if they don't get an immediate response they go into a queue that only specific people can work.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 7:08:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TactiCoolBro] [#7]
Nathan is adding my UPIN to my form.
Guess I’ll see if it actually makes any difference. Seems like it’s a gamble. UPIN might yield an immediate proceed or just start this entire delayed process all over again…
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 7:34:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Nathan is adding my UPIN to my form.
Guess I'll see if it actually makes any difference.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/28/2023 7:39:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TactiCoolBro] [#9]
Originally Posted By tortilla-flats:

View Quote

Not getting my hopes up. I see that tons of people still get delays even with a UPIN. I might just be starting this delay process all over again…
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 11:06:05 AM EDT
[#10]

As soon as I found out I was delayed on mine, I applied for a UPIN. It didn’t even take a week for them to approve me for it.

I’m asking an examiner now if they can re run my check using the NICS check. I’m hoping they will, but I have a feeling they might say no since the UPIN wasn’t on my original application.

Mine has been delayed since March 16. Like you, I don’t recall ever getting a delay for a NICS check in the past.
View Quote

I don’t think the examiner has any control over how the background checks are run.  I thought that the FBI does the background check and all the ATF examiner does is wait for the proceed or deny from the FBI.  They don’t run checks on their own, or ask the FBI to run it differently.  Also believe the ATF’s stated position is that if there is an issue with the background check coming back denied or taking too long, they can’t help you with that.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 11:22:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TactiCoolBro] [#11]
Originally Posted By willi3d:

I don’t think the examiner has any control over how the background checks are run.  I thought that the FBI does the background check and all the ATF examiner does is wait for the proceed or deny from the FBI.  They don’t run checks on their own, or ask the FBI to run it differently.  Also believe the ATF’s stated position is that if there is an issue with the background check coming back denied or taking too long, they can’t help you with that.
View Quote

I dunno.
Nathan said he would add my UPIN to my form. Whether or not that means they will initiate a new NICS check with the UPIN, I have no idea.

On another note, I see someone just posted an approval from 1/17, so congrats to that guy. I’m 4 days behind.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 12:35:54 PM EDT
[#12]

I dunno.
Nathan said he would add my UPIN to my form. Whether or not that means they will initiate a new NICS check with the UPIN, I have no idea.

On another note, I see someone just posted an approval from 1/17, so congrats to that guy. I'm 4 days behind.
View Quote
That is heartening
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 2:08:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I guess the NICS system must be pretty damn outdated and/or unorganized.
You’d think while doing whatever means it takes them to approve me for my UPIN, they could also see I have a pending, delayed check and mark the thing as proceed while they’re at it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 5:52:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jwlaxton] [#14]
I'm surprised some of you are getting examiners to respond to you.  I submitted several brace related e-form 1s from 1/31 to 2/8 that are still pending.  I had an e-form 4 approved 4/6 and sent e-mails to a couple of examiners, over a week apart, to ask if they could use the same background check for the e-form 1s, assuming that is the hold-up.  I haven't received any response at all.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 6:39:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Last year, I had 2 eForm 4s outstanding. Within about a week, I got one disapproval for “unresolved BGC” and one approved. I do have things on my record from back in 1979. I was lucky and had an examiner email me back and let me know what the FBI was hung up on. I highlighted what she sent me asking if that piece didn’t mean that the situation was resolved? About 2 weeks later she called me and said she had good news. She sent my response to the FBI person who gave the denial and said they changed their mind and approved it. I refiled, sent her the new control # and she approved it within an hour. I got real lucky. But why within a week, I’d get one approval and one disapproval is sort of mind boggling.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 7:20:00 PM EDT
[#16]
I guess the NICS system must be pretty damn outdated and/or unorganized.
You’d think while doing whatever means it takes them to approve me for my UPIN, they could also see I have a pending, delayed check and mark the thing as proceed while they’re at it.
View Quote

Of course it’s outdated. The entire FAA air traffic control system is outdated (sorry, adding what I know). Many many govt systems are antiquated and ridiculous in 2023. Hang in there dude….it’ll happen.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 9:01:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BlackbirdRider] [#17]
Originally Posted By jwlaxton:
I'm surprised some of you are getting examiners to respond to you.  I submitted several brace related e-form 1s from 1/31 to 2/8 that are still pending.  I had an e-form 4 approved 4/6 and sent e-mails to a couple of examiners, over a week apart, to ask if they could use the same background check for the e-form 1s, assuming that is the hold-up.  I haven't received any response at all.
View Quote

I am a NFA newbie and have only had one issue with Efile, Nathan was the examiner and he responded the same day and was extremely helpful.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 9:26:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By BlackbirdRider:

I am a NFA newbie and have only had one issue with Efile, Nathan was the examiner and he responded the same day and was extremely helpful.
View Quote

Thanks.  He's actually approved some of my form 1s in the past.  I don't really have a problem, and probably shouldn't complain.  I have quite a few form 4s, and they have ranged from a little over a month to 15 months.  I've done a few form 1s, and they were less than a month, but it's been a couple of years.  The only concern I had was that most of the approvals I've seen coming back are newer.  It's probably so they can play games with their average processing time.  I filed right after they published the brace rule, so I would have time to re-file electronically if there were any administrative errors.  After 5/31 we have to go paper to correct any administrative issues.  It's a frustrating process, and the best thing to do is just push it out of your mind.  I need to do that and quit reading these threads.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 8:28:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Holy shit!!
Came into work this morning and opened my email to an APPROVAL!!
I’m so damn happy right now.
Signed by Carol Ripley.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 8:59:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Holy shit!!
Signed by Carol Ripley.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/1/2023 10:27:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: spyderboy03] [#21]
Holy shit!!
Signed by Carol Ripley.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/1/2023 11:33:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Congrats!

I am now at 2 months for my brace rifled form 1 on my Trust. Still only shows ‘submitted’.

Link Posted: 5/1/2023 1:40:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Holy shit!!
Signed by Carol Ripley.
View Quote

Awesome!
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 2:36:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Holy shit!!
I'm so damn happy right now.
Signed by Carol Ripley.
View Quote
Good for you!

I'm still waiting... F1 submitted 1/16 paper prints mailed the same day and received 1/19. I called NFA branch again today, "I don't see a problem, it's in pending status" could not tell me the examiner's name...
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 2:44:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By shultz:
Good for you!

I'm still waiting... F1 submitted 1/16 paper prints mailed the same day and received 1/19. I called NFA branch again today, "I don't see a problem, it's in pending status" could not tell me the examiner's name...
View Quote
#metoo
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 3:23:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Hang in there boys. I felt like my day was never going to come and suddenly today was the day.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 4:23:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Hang in there boys. I felt like my day was never going to come and suddenly today was the day.
View Quote

Congrats! I know you had a hell of time with yours. glad to see the ripper got you taken care of finally
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 6:33:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Holy shit!!
Signed by Carol Ripley.
View Quote

About time lol, congrats
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 9:16:45 AM EDT
[#29]
I asked my senator's staff what to do about my delayed FBI background check, and I have gotten no response.  I'll give them another day or two before trying to talk to my other representatives.  I read on Reddit that sometimes your rep can pressure the FBI to actually investigate your delayed NICS check and give you a proceed, but I don't know the validity of that.  I did some more research and apparently it is possible to contest a delayed (not just a denied) NICS check.  However, you need the NTN associated with each check.  I emailed the ATF and they refused to give me the NTN's, and they also said that if my background was truly clear the FBI would investigate and give me a proceed and that they already have my fingerprints.  I don't buy this claim as I know NFA NICS checks aren't subject to the Brady Law, so there is no incentive to do any manual checking on the FBI side of things.  I suppose I should get a UPIN even if it's too late.

I should add that these are for form 4's, and I've been waiting 9 months on this.  I need my suppressors because I already have mild tinnitus despite being religious with wearing hearing protection.

I wonder how good CA's return policy is?  If I get denials on all 3 I may just return them and put the money towards a lathe and some form 1's.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 10:24:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: amediocreshooter] [#30]
Not an ATF complaint, but a Capitol Armory shipped to your door Complaint.

What the fuck

Form 4 was approved April 16th - suppressor hasn't even shipped to my in-state dealer yet. Even if it ships today I won't get it until next week. That's 3 full weeks from approval to delivery. I don't even need this can its just another 5.56 suppressor but damn this is tiring. I had another can approved today, one that I actually want, and I probably won't get it until the end of May.

@contax_shooter I am driving next time.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 10:52:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By amediocreshooter:
Not an ATF complaint, but a Capitol Armory shipped to your door Complaint.

What the fuck

Form 4 was approved April 16th - suppressor hasn't even shipped to my in-state dealer yet. Even if it ships today I won't get it until next week. That's 3 full weeks from approval to delivery. I don't even need this can its just another 5.56 suppressor but damn this is tiring. I had another can approved today, one that I actually want, and I probably won't get it until the end of May.

@contax_shooter I am driving next time.
View Quote

just curious, have you done the 4473 yet? cause once they get that I thought the mailed info to CLEO on the form and then had to wait 7 days to get it back from him once the know they received it. so you figure a extra 2 weeks there. just curious. I guess I am a CA fan boy, cause with out them I would not even be able to think about a can. cause I have no dealers near me at all with out driving 3.5 hours and I tried that and the dealer was beyond rude.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 11:31:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By rmdye:

just curious, have you done the 4473 yet? cause once they get that I thought the mailed info to CLEO on the form and then had to wait 7 days to get it back from him once the know they received it. so you figure a extra 2 weeks there. just curious. I guess I am a CA fan boy, cause with out them I would not even be able to think about a can. cause I have no dealers near me at all with out driving 3.5 hours and I tried that and the dealer was beyond rude.
View Quote

Yep. I did the 4473 2 days after the ATF Eforms approval email came in.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 12:43:27 AM EDT
[#33]
I submitted two eform 1 brace rule on 2/22 as individual.

I received one approval on 4/4 and the other is still submitted/ in process.

Is this normal? I'v been seeing people are being approved for much more recent submissions.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 1:11:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By ShadedWar:

Is this normal? I'v been seeing people are being approved for much more recent submissions.
View Quote
Sadly, this is normal..
I have a paid E-form 1 from 1/16 pending.
Simply put, you're dealing with inefficient government bureaucracy.

Link Posted: 5/3/2023 10:37:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By USMCSGT0331:
3 from 07/06/222 from 08/16/22
9 from 11/15/22
1 from 12/16/22
4 from 02/02/23

19 total stamps in the past 3 days! 16 today, 2 yesterday, and 1 from Sunday. Everything from today was signed by Trish, who is known for doing most of the batch processes. I still have about a dozen items at my FFL waiting for stamps, fingers crossed that Trish knocks out the rest of them tomorrow!

Everything here is an Eform 4, so this now proves that they do batch process the Eforms and not just the paper forms. Pretty important information for anyone else with a bunch of Eforms and they were wondering if it's possible to batch process them.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/attachments/20230502_214824-jpg.8133498/
https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/attachments/20230502_215625-jpg.8133499/
https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/attachments/screenshot_20230502_212313_gmail-jpg.8133496/
View Quote

I feel like such a poors.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 9:07:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By ShadedWar:

View Quote

Normal, yes, and stupid. I submitted 2/4 and crickets…
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 9:19:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By spyderboy03:

I feel like such a poors.
View Quote

If it makes you feel better, I don’t even have that many hosts..
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 8:06:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: r-2-k-b-a] [#38]
I have a 10/20/22 certification via SS website, and its amazing to see the inconsistency in timeframes posted.

Some are 7, some are 10 and some are month 12.

The nonsensical nature of their approvals makes it hard to determine where I am.

eForm 4 - INDIVIDUAL:  9 Days through 9 Months  average 6 Months

SS posted this 5/4.  So even their numbers are all over the map....
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 3:37:04 PM EDT
[#39]
I had submitted a large amount of Eform 1s in late February and have gotten about 70% of them back.  All were submitted within 24 hours.  

Does anyone know the actual process the ATF follows for E Form 1 submissions?   It doesn’t appear to be first in, first out.  I am still waiting on the remaining approvals and they have been in limbo for over two months.  

Like all of you, I get upset when people who submitted in mid April have already been approved, and those waiting months haven’t yet.

It seems like random employees are assigned an e form at random and some do batch approvals and some don’t.  Some are fast and others much slower.

According to a video today from Washington Gun Law on YouTube, there have only been about 125,000 amnesty brace form 1 submissions as of today.  Not as many as I would have guessed.   But as the registration window ends this month, I expect to see even longer delays as the system queue gets even longer.

I hope you all get some approvals soon!
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 4:21:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By CovertChannels:
I had submitted a large amount of Eform 1s in late February and have gotten about 70% of them back.  All were submitted within 24 hours.  

Does anyone know the actual process the ATF follows for E Form 1 submissions?   It doesn’t appear to be first in, first out.  I am still waiting on the remaining approvals and they have been in limbo for over two months.  

Like all of you, I get upset when people who submitted in mid April have already been approved, and those waiting months haven’t yet.

It seems like random employees are assigned an e form at random and some do batch approvals and some don’t.  Some are fast and others much slower.

According to a video today from Washington Gun Law on YouTube, there have only been about 125,000 amnesty brace form 1 submissions as of today.  Not as many as I would have guessed.   But as the registration window ends this month, I expect to see even longer delays as the system queue gets even longer.

I hope you all get some approvals soon!
View Quote

The reason it's not "first in, first out" is because of the FBI NICS. Not all background checks get a proceed at the same time. While ATF may review eForms in order and submit the RP's, the FBI background check process doesn't do the same.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 1:36:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Filled out 1/13/23, prints mailed 1/15/23 received 1/18/23 for EF1 SBR paid on trust. Still nothing.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 10:01:53 PM EDT
[#42]
I’m officially part of the eForm 1 one hundred day club…
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 8:36:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M4Real] [#43]
Two cans submitted on 7/22 of last year on eform 4s to my trust. 290 fucking days and still nothing.

Edited to add.

Ironically as I just posted this today, I just got an email stating one can is approved.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 4:29:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:

The reason it's not "first in, first out" is because of the FBI NICS. Not all background checks get a proceed at the same time. While ATF may review eForms in order and submit the RP's, the FBI background check process doesn't do the same.
View Quote

They’re not even smart enough to implement a system for approving ‘batches’ or they don’t want to… or to do anything else to make the process more efficient.
I’ve got an active, current Top Secret clearance, like many, many others-and every .mil guy has at least a Secret; they could easily reference those and clear a bunch of submissions with a click.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 5:42:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DogtownTom] [#45]
Originally Posted By kokopelli:

They’re not even smart enough to implement a system for approving ‘batches’ or they don’t want to… or to do anything else to make the process more efficient.
I’ve got an active, current Top Secret clearance, like many, many others-and every .mil guy has at least a Secret; they could easily reference those and clear a bunch of submissions with a click.
View Quote

It has nothing to do with "smart enough", it's what Congress and the FBI Information Systems are allowed to use. Nothing to do with Top Secret or Secret clearances....never has.
NICS is a name and descriptive information check. If your name and that information return no records, you get a "proceed". If multiple records are returned and one has disqualifying information then a Document Examiner has to review before issuing a proceed.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 7:38:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Yes- my point is that NICS could easily be made to talk to other systems where people are already vetted… NCIC would even feed a better system to querie…

NBIS is coming online that rolls JPAS, Scattered Castles, DISS and a half-dozen other intel databanks into one system…if they can consolidate these- getting NICS to do it would be a piece of cake.

They just don’t want to
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 7:45:49 PM EDT
[#47]
I had a form 4 denied, it listed the reason as a responsible persons information was missing. I looked at the submitted form and everything looked to be in order, what gives?
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 8:29:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By bully13:
I had a form 4 denied, it listed the reason as a responsible persons information was missing. I looked at the submitted form and everything looked to be in order, what gives?
View Quote

E filled or paper?

Was the RP signed in ink? - usually where people mess up; you have to print that out, sign and scan back in
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 8:37:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By kokopelli:

E filled or paper?

Was the RP signed in ink? - usually where people mess up; you have to print that out, sign and scan back in
View Quote

Efiled through SS. It says none of the information is there,   photo's, fingerprints, etc. Same examiner approved another form 4 just minutes before this was denied
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 9:21:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By bully13:

Efiled through SS. It says none of the information is there,   photo's, fingerprints, etc. Same examiner approved another form 4 just minutes before this was denied
View Quote

Email the examiner and ask about it. Provide the denied control number and the approved one.
Page / 66
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top