Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 66
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 12:12:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Good to finally see a couple of trusts coming back. 
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 6:08:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By grimhollow:
I think those with trusts are being punished for the convenience that a trust used to bring.
View Quote
Maybe, but I like if my son wants to use it I can just hand it to him and say have a good time.

When I die there will be no paperwork, my wife will just hand my suppressors out with the form 4s out to my boys.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:53:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By kanewtervalve:

Government worker confused? Get the f**k outta here!
View Quote
I mean, I know NFA is small potatoes in the scheme of things but it’s beyond how absurd this is.

Anyone who thinks the gov should be in charge of anything should be shown this. Well there are tons of examples but this is a great one.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 10:01:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By FREEFALLE7:

Maybe, but I like if my son wants to use it I can just hand it to him and say have a good time.

When I die there will be no paperwork, my wife will just hand my suppressors out with the form 4s out to my boys.
View Quote
Oh, I agree. Waiting on two trust submissions right now. I have three boys, and set up my trust for the same reasons. I do have one SBR as an individual, though, my first NFA item. I need to transfer it over sometime, I guess. 
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 8:17:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Just hit my first milestone...

My F1 (Trust) was mailed out 1 year ago today.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 1:42:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Seems like form 4 waits are being approved anywhere from 7-12 months on average right now. That's a big window, I wonder why?
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 1:46:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Oh, I agree. Waiting on two trust submissions right now. I have three boys, and set up my trust for the same reasons. I do have one SBR as an individual, though, my first NFA item. I need to transfer it over sometime, I guess. 
View Quote
He old are your son's. I thought I read when I die my son's will have the authority to take over my stash because they are on my trust. However, they are supposed to open their own trust and transfer the items to it?
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:45:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Yesterday was 1 year since they received my Form 1 trust so to celebrate I called just to check.

The gentleman I spoke to seemed surprised it's been over a year and was still pending. He said it should come back "in a couple of weeks."

We'll see
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 4:05:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Also coming up on a year wait for a Form 1 (trust). I figured that deserves a phone call to check and make sure they at least have the form. Stated they have it and are currently working July/August for trusts.

The wait continues
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 4:21:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: grimhollow] [#10]
Attachment Attached File
I'm right at a year, too, and today I had four missed calls from Martinsburg, WV. They didn't leave a message, so I don't know what that's about. When I call the number back, it's busy, which seems to be a common thing. 
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 4:24:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Nanashi:

He old are your son's. I thought I read when I die my son's will have the authority to take over my stash because they are on my trust. However, they are supposed to open their own trust and transfer the items to it?
View Quote
I haven't heard that. My oldest will be 18 soon, and my other two won't be for quite a while. I have my wife on there as the other "responsible party" or whatever it is, and my boys and mother in law are secondaries. 
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 7:55:46 PM EDT
[#12]
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/198606/image-306722.JPGI'm right at a year, too, and today I had four missed calls from Martinsburg, WV. They didn't leave a message, so I don't know what that's about. When I call the number back, it's busy, which seems to be a common thing. 
View Quote
They did that to me about 3-4 weeks ago. Called at 9:00 AM Central and didn't leave a message but it came from NFA branch. I called back and they had no idea who called.

Link Posted: 9/13/2017 8:21:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By ECPrevatte:

They did that to me about 3-4 weeks ago. Called at 9:00 AM Central and didn't leave a message but it came from NFA branch. I called back and they had no idea who called.

View Quote
I read that on a few internet posts when I googled the number.  A lot of people said they called back and they acted like they didn't know why somebody would have called.  I guess I'll wait and see if they call back again.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 8:54:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By moose-hunter:

View Quote
I finally got my form 1 trust back this past Friday. All in all it was 405 days from the time I mailed it out until it showed back up in my mailbox.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 9:02:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: moose-hunter] [#15]
NVRMND...  Found your timeline in the "post" thread...
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 3:44:35 AM EDT
[#16]
I've been waiting over a year for a form 1 and 4 to be approved. Is there one person processing all these applications.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 2:55:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Any news on Form 4 trust submissions?  Loads of individual approvals, and some Form 1 trust approvals.  Haven't seen anything about Form 4 approvals though
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 2:58:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By david05111:
Any news on Form 4 trust submissions?  Loads of individual approvals, and some Form 1 trust approvals.  Haven't seen anything about Form 4 approvals though
View Quote
I had a form 4 trust mailed on Sept 28th 2016 come back approved on 8/14/2017. I'm starting to think it was an accident and they didn't mean to do it :/
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 4:14:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Ya its pretty crazy how there have hardly been ANY trust posts lately, or if so, they've only been 1 person...I don't get the system in place but there needs to be some process improvements for sure.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 5:10:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Well, I know they are at least working on one trust submission right now. I have to call them tomorrow with some information for one of my forms, I'm not sure what that may be. 
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 9:27:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Well, I know they are at least working on one trust submission right now. I have to call them tomorrow with some information for one of my forms, I'm not sure what that may be. 
View Quote
Keep us posted!
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 11:48:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By dragpo:

Keep us posted!
View Quote
Had to explain the difference in a schedule b and a schedule c to them. My wife is a trustee on my schedule b, so I sent in two sets of prints and pictures of her along with my stuff. They wanted to remove her from the form 4, even though she is a "responsible person" or whatever they call it in my trust. They didn't understand why she needed to be listed. I guess that's why the trusts are taking so long, some of them don't know how they work, I guess. This is a September 2016 submission. 
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 3:20:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: joe_sun] [#23]
Update for my form 1 trust mailed in Sept 2016.

I received a letter today returning the application because ATF said I didn't include all the responsible person information, but I had. I called and had to leave a VM message. The attorney that drafted the trust filed an amendment that removed everyone but myself from the trust. It worked just fine for my form 4 I got back last month but this one it didn't. Hopefully he just missed the form. As a bonus I gave the serial of my other form 1 I'm waiting on and I asked to check it as it's the exact same situation.

Honestly probably never doing a trust again. Only reason I did was that I already had one and didn't think it would be a big deal.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 10:19:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 10:38:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: joe_sun] [#25]
Originally Posted By BigWaylon:

It's amazing what the ATF misses. For example, I had a couple Form 1s I sent in on a trust approved. Then the next two forms, with the exact same trust, were sent back with an error letter claiming the trust name didn't match the forms. So, I had an amendment written to clarify the trust name. I put the Amendment on the top of the actual trust document. Then I put a yellow sticky on the first page of the Amendment, where they couldn't miss it. Here's a B&W copy of what it looked like.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/126679/IMG_0042_JPG-308671.jpg

I called the research assistant and explained the situation. Her response was "we normally don't look at the amendments because it's usually just adding or deleting trustees". Doh! (This was before 41F, so trustees really wouldn't have mattered).

The solution was to put the documents right back in the envelope and send them back with no changes. Wasn't the only time they made that mistake. I actually had two EForms disapproved (no error letters) for the same reason. I argued my case with Ted and Kimberly through email (on a Sunday as a matter of fact) and they reversed their decision and approved them the next day without me refiling or paying again.
View Quote
@BigWaylon

About 3 hours went by and he never called me back, will they usually call or should I call again on Monday?
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 1:45:01 PM EDT
[#26]

It's amazing what the ATF misses. For example, I had a couple Form 1s I sent in on a trust approved. Then the next two forms, with the exact same trust, were sent back with an error letter claiming the trust name didn't match the forms. So, I had an amendment written to clarify the trust name. I put the Amendment on the top of the actual trust document. Then I put a yellow sticky on the first page of the Amendment, where they couldn't miss it. Here's a B&W copy of what it looked like.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/126679/IMG_0042_JPG-308671.jpg

I called the research assistant and explained the situation. Her response was "we normally don't look at the amendments because it's usually just adding or deleting trustees". Doh! (This was before 41F, so trustees really wouldn't have mattered).

The solution was to put the documents right back in the envelope and send them back with no changes. Wasn't the only time they made that mistake. I actually had two EForms disapproved (no error letters) for the same reason. I argued my case with Ted and Kimberly through email (on a Sunday as a matter of fact) and they reversed their decision and approved them the next day without me refiling or paying again.
View Quote
That’s crazy and exactly why they need to go. We don’t want it done and it sounds like they don’t even want to do it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 1:56:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigWaylon] [#27]
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 2:24:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: joe_sun] [#28]

I'd absolutely call back. If you got an error letter, there's only 30 days to make the corrections in order to keep your place in line.

Does the letter have an email address for direct contact? I know I ended up emailing back and forth with the research assistant, but can't remember how I ended up with her address.

ETA: email address was on the error letter I received
View Quote
That's what I was concerned with, no email address just the Examiners name and phone number, it's Jason Dicken. I'll keep trying on Monday and hopefully I'll get though.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 2:35:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: moose-hunter] [#29]
Originally Posted By moose-hunter:

View Quote
And today...  Hit my second milestone...

1 year ago today, my check was cashed...  

On a side note...  The NFA Tracker "form 1 trust" transfer chart looks dismal to say the least...
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 6:47:00 PM EDT
[#30]
And THAT, boys and girls, is why I will stick to Individuals when submitting NFA.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:26:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: moose-hunter] [#31]
As posted in the "Post 41F" tread by rdennis...

Form 1 Trust mailed 9/10/16
Pending 9/26/16
Approved 9/7/17
Received in mailbox 9/16/17

Fact or fiction?

(please oh please oh please let it be true seeing my 9-12-16 submission...  please oh please...)

Link Posted: 9/20/2017 9:45:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 1:16:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By ipsilateral_7:

I'm in exact same boat.  Form 3 start 7/7 approved end of oct, did SS kiosk and took ~a month to get email from them for documents and then a few weeks for pending status.  So I'm sitting on a pending date of 12/21/16. I've got 2 form 1s I want to submit but not sure if I want the wait just yet.
View Quote
Sounds legit
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 1:46:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By abnt89:
I posted in the form 1 thread but figured I'd do it here too since you're on the topic.

Form 1 SBR - Trust

Submitted    7/30/16
Approved     8/24/17

Got it in the mail yesterday, a total of 405 days.
View Quote
How many people?
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 9:25:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Anyone in Texas getting any individual form 1s approved in the Jan-Mar 2017 time frame? Seeing lots of approvals(even some from April) in that area but mine is still pending. Starting to wonder if the examiner per state stuff is happening again. 
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 11:22:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Even thou there was nothing wrong with my paperwork, the ATF examiner made me submit the paperwork to "Correct it" which was just sending in a copy of what I had already sent in. He confirmed he received it on Monday and that it was acceptable. I thought the process would be pretty quick after that but I just called and it's still pending.

How long does it take to approve after a correction has been submitted?
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 11:58:04 AM EDT
[#37]
what is your pending date, etc?

I've seen 2 weeks but also could be just the "pre-review" stuff
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 1:25:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By dragpo:
what is your pending date, etc?

I've seen 2 weeks but also could be just the "pre-review" stuff
View Quote
Form 1 Trust mailed 9/8/2016
Pending 9/12/16
Correction letter sent 9/6/2017
I received the letter on 9/15/17 and called the examiner that day leaving a VM explaining their error. I don't receive a call back.
9/18/17 early morning I call back and speak to the examiner. I'm told to send in the trust amendment even thou it's in the original paperwork. I email the form to the examiner asking to confirm receipt.
9/19/17 no reply to email so I send another email. Later in the afternoon I receive a reply saying the paperwork was received on 9/18/17 and it is acceptable.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 1:26:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Chota:
Anyone in Texas getting any individual form 1s approved in the Jan-Mar 2017 time frame? Seeing lots of approvals(even some from April) in that area but mine is still pending. Starting to wonder if the examiner per state stuff is happening again. 
View Quote
I'm pretty certain it's by state now.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 1:42:06 PM EDT
[#40]
The handful of posts just on this page alone explain exactly why trusts are screwed now. Before it was as easy as just giving a quick look to make sure everything was signed on the trust and that it matched the form. Now they're having to actually dig into the language to verify who all is a responsible person and then follow up with people when it's not clear to them. Then add on the multiple background checks and the processing time for a trust post 41F is now increased by magnitudes. Wouldn't surprise me if they made an internal decision to focus most of their resources on the individual forms to make sure they don't fall behind even further and only have one or two more knowledgeable people doing trusts until who knows when. Kicking myself hard for doing a trust now, especially since it's just me on it at the moment.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 2:17:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By joe_sun:

Form 1 Trust mailed 9/8/2016
Pending 9/12/16
Correction letter sent 9/6/2017
I received the letter on 9/15/17 and called the examiner that day leaving a VM explaining their error. I don't receive a call back.
9/18/17 early morning I call back and speak to the examiner. I'm told to send in the trust amendment even thou it's in the original paperwork. I email the form to the examiner asking to confirm receipt.
9/19/17 no reply to email so I send another email. Later in the afternoon I receive a reply saying the paperwork was received on 9/18/17 and it is acceptable.
View Quote
Thanks for the info - keep us posted of course. It looks like they are further in the process at least if you're speaking to an examiner. The background checks themselves can't actually take THAT long so I'd "assume" the hardest part is reading the trusts as mentioned in the previous post.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 7:29:43 PM EDT
[#42]

I just got THE call from my Class III.
I'll be picking it up tomorrow afternoon after work.

That made it 264 days Total.
It also means that my Original estimates were Dead On.

I'll fill in the finished numbers tomorrow after I read them.

Link Posted: 9/21/2017 7:37:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By timkel:
Do you think he/she cares how long you have to wait?
https://s5.postimg.org/mljtpyupz/govies_ATFforms002.jpg
View Quote
Actually I bet he/she does.

Does he/she think you care that his/her bosses (ultimately us) won't hire enough people to get the job done on time?

I have no complaints.

But the wait does suck for now.

They're working on it. It will get better.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 8:21:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Unkydon:

View Quote
Lol.

No.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 9:18:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 9:23:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Nada-Nada:
Lol.

No.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Nada-Nada:

Lol.

No.
Barcode Generator
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 9:27:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CrawdadsRevenge] [#47]
Originally Posted By GiggleSmith:
(snip )
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 9:40:39 PM EDT
[#48]

Barcode Generator
View Quote
Yea, read the thread. See my posts in that same thread.

NFA wait times go up and down. I had a form 1 SBR approved in just a few months years back. Now we're back to more than a year.

The 2A community is deluding themselves if they think the Anti-Gun ATF has any intention of keeping wait times for NFA down to a reasonable level for any length of time.

They have to play the game, come off as reasonable people, especially in the political atmosphere, make largely meaningless overtures, then any slight improvements end up walking back and becoming even worse over time.

The ATF could approve these in less than a day if they actually cared to so do.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 11:30:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Do us all a HUGE favor. Don't file another one.
View All Quotes

I'll second this!
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 12:35:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Aby001:
I'll second this!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Aby001:

I'll second this!
3rd
Page / 66
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top