Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 66
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 4:27:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Have been reading that a lot of stamps lost in mail or taking more time than usual to reach FFL. Four out of six approved on Apr. 10.  Waiting continues.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 9:33:30 PM EDT
[#2]
glitch bump
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 9:50:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GiggleSmith:
 I DID say S L O W L Y
If the trend hold I might be able to pick up my latest two cans in July and August instead of November and later.
View Quote

My can purchased Memorial Day Weekend of 2017 went Pending in February 2019 and my dealer received the stamp today.

But yeah no tell me more about how they're getting faster
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 12:53:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AZ-AR15] [#4]
Originally Posted By ArmyPilot12:

It was the ATF version of this...
https://i.imgur.com/0IPhoEql.jpg?1

View Quote

HA!  Basically.

eta: side note: apparently the guy at the shop (who was fired months ago) sold my neighbor a can that wasn't ideal for his weapon.  Then again, I don't think many cans are ideal for a 7.5"  556 AR15, but I think my poor neighbor got talked into that whole system by the crappy former employee anyway.  On top of that, he can't even give it a test run because he was sold the wrong mounting system for the can, and the correct mounting system is on back order right now.  Lol, I feel bad for the guy.  "Hey AZ, I think I figured out why they fired XXXX a few months back over at the LGS...".
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 3:45:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By ProfessorHorseyhead:

My can purchased Memorial Day Weekend of 2017 went Pending in February 2019 and my dealer received the stamp today.

But yeah no tell me more about how they're getting faster
View Quote
My Last time around it took 9 Months.
It has shrunk to 8 months.

So it's "Progress".

Link Posted: 4/25/2020 4:38:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1911xdm] [#6]
I called them yesterday 15 minutes before closing. I got the closed message. Those guys knocked off early on a Friday. Bunch of slackers.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 12:27:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't know what's worse, waiting for the approval or waiting for the stamp to arrive a dealer. Seem to be getting lost or taking three or more weeks.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 1:24:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 6:44:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Nfa branch is a total clown shoe operation. I call after 30 days and they tell me to wait a week as it may have been slowed down in the mail and gave me Amazon as the example.

Then they tell me to write a letter and gave me the instructions which I followed to a T. At the very end I put my new mailing address as I have since moved (after my purchase). I get the letter today and I was denied my certified copy because my new mailing address didn't match the address they had on file. Really?

As I'm dialing up the NFA branch to exchange some words, my dealer texts me and said he got the stamp in the mail today.

Unreal.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 8:52:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By abpMN:
Nfa branch is a total clown shoe operation. I call after 30 days and they tell me to wait a week as it may have been slowed down in the mail and gave me Amazon as the example.

Then they tell me to write a letter and gave me the instructions which I followed to a T. At the very end I put my new mailing address as I have since moved (after my purchase). I get the letter today and I was denied my certified copy because my new mailing address didn't match the address they had on file. Really?

As I'm dialing up the NFA branch to exchange some words, my dealer texts me and said he got the stamp in the mail today.

Unreal.
View Quote

Wow that sucks.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:15:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Perhaps if I call and tell them I'm planning on moving soon they'll expedite that shit... probably not, but I could dream.

What scares me is after seeing all these 11/19, 12/19, 01/20 check cashing dates, I see a "submitted 03/19, cashed 06/19, received 04/20" or some shit. At least last time I went through this BS it was in some kind of chronological order from date of receipt.

Maybe I'll call again and harass them this week.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:01:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Day 350.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:45:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Can went approved 03/25/2020

So I am over 30 days with no stamp to dealer yet. I was told by Silencer Shop that they ATF has 30 days to send the stamp to the dealer? Is there any truth to this?

I am not sure what to do but wait I suppose?

Of course my can is a Dead Air Ghost 45M - and the piston situation is almost as bas as the Stamp process...  Almost...
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 1:12:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By KS_HandK_Man:
Can went approved 03/25/2020

So I am over 30 days with no stamp to dealer yet. I was told by Silencer Shop that they ATF has 30 days to send the stamp to the dealer? Is there any truth to this?

I am not sure what to do but wait I suppose?

Of course my can is a Dead Air Ghost 45M - and the piston situation is almost as bas as the Stamp process...  Almost...
View Quote

Send a letter to NFA requesting a certified copy sent to you address. I had to do this last year for a machine gun. Took 12 months to get approved.  Another 30 days no stamp, requested copy and a week later I had it. 13 months and a week for my first machine gun.  Drove me nuts.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 3:04:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By cowboyrick:

Send a letter to NFA requesting a certified copy sent to you address. I had to do this last year for a machine gun. Took 12 months to get approved.  Another 30 days no stamp, requested copy and a week later I had it. 13 months and a week for my first machine gun.  Drove me nuts.
View Quote

Do you know if this was the West Virgina address?

I made the mistake of calling them and they told me to go through the dealer......
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 4:39:55 PM EDT
[#16]

I made the mistake of calling them and they told me to go through the dealer......
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cowboyrick:

I dont remember off hand. I know it's on thier website.  You dont have to go through dealer. Make sure you send it to your home address.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 7:17:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigWaylon] [#17]
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 12:52:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: abpMN] [#18]
Originally Posted By 1911xdm:

Wow that sucks.
View Quote

I called them on the 22nd and my stamp (Which was allegedly lost) was mailed on the 24th according to the postage on the envelope.

Clown shoe operation.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 1:45:34 PM EDT
[#19]
ATF is says to allow 45 days for mailing of approved form 4.
What a joke, one trip a month to PO?
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 2:14:32 PM EDT
[#20]
I just called again today. Said it was approved on the 23ed. But when I called on the 24th it was still pending. Who knows how long it will take for my dealer to actually get it. Seems mailing them is taking forever for everyone.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 4:41:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By 1911xdm:
I just called again today. Said it was approved on the 23ed. But when I called on the 24th it was still pending. Who knows how long it will take for my dealer to actually get it. Seems mailing them is taking forever for everyone.
View Quote

Somewhere the ATF has an Employee Suggestion Box that was empty for decades until some recently promoted mail room sadist jotted down “let’s speed up our approval time metric but create a lengthy, delayed outbound mail queue to let the serfs know we have many ways to delay their joy...”

I’m 5 months in on a Form 4 so I’m glad to see both the short batch processing and some of the older stuff get processed.  Sooner or later I expect mine will dribble out.  Around 10 months is when I’ll call again.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 7:32:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By KalmanPhilter:

Somewhere the ATF has an Employee Suggestion Box that was empty for decades until some recently promoted mail room sadist jotted down “let’s speed up our approval time metric but create a lengthy, delayed outbound mail queue to let the serfs know we have many ways to delay their joy...”

I’m 5 months in on a Form 4 so I’m glad to see both the short batch processing and some of the older stuff get processed.  Sooner or later I expect mine will dribble out.  Around 10 months is when I’ll call again.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By KalmanPhilter:
I just called again today. Said it was approved on the 23ed. But when I called on the 24th it was still pending. Who knows how long it will take for my dealer to actually get it. Seems mailing them is taking forever for everyone.

Somewhere the ATF has an Employee Suggestion Box that was empty for decades until some recently promoted mail room sadist jotted down “let’s speed up our approval time metric but create a lengthy, delayed outbound mail queue to let the serfs know we have many ways to delay their joy...”

I’m 5 months in on a Form 4 so I’m glad to see both the short batch processing and some of the older stuff get processed.  Sooner or later I expect mine will dribble out.  Around 10 months is when I’ll call again.

ATF efficiency can neither be created, nor destroyed.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 9:13:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Just submitted a Form 1 to SBS a Benelli M2, not in description??,  so it goes into research, more time. It's only been around for years, but not in their database??? I can't be the first one to do this.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 10:56:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 3:00:08 PM EDT
[#25]
So I keep seeing 45 days and 75 days as the estimate for Form 4 to get to the dealer after approval. Has anyone actually heard this from the actual NFA?  When I spoke to them about my approval they said the standard 30 days. I am at 3 weeks which to me is ridiculous in itself.

I am wondering if I should still submit for a certified copy at 30 days if it hasn’t arrived by then.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 6:48:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By alex71:
So I keep seeing 45 days and 75 days as the estimate for Form 4 to get to the dealer after approval. Has anyone actually heard this from the actual NFA?  When I spoke to them about my approval they said the standard 30 days. I am at 3 weeks which to me is ridiculous in itself. 

I am wondering if I should still submit for a certified copy at 30 days if it hasn’t arrived by then.
View Quote

I'm at 23 days since my approval for 2 stamps.  At 30 days I'm submitting a request for certified copies and another request every day until I receive them. It is absurd that it takes so long. Took me 6 weeks last year to get my stamp mailed for a machine gun after approval.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 11:51:03 PM EDT
[#27]
From Another Site:
Form 4 individual via kiosk on Octane 9HD can - 199 days
Purchase 10/12/2019
Check cash 10/31/2019
Approved 03/13/2020
In hand 04/28/2020
View Quote
 28 weeks
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 11:14:53 AM EDT
[#28]
My approval was on 3/25/20

Got the call yesterday and picked today.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 2:46:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2Keylows] [#29]
Originally Posted By alex71:
So I keep seeing 45 days and 75 days as the estimate for Form 4 to get to the dealer after approval. Has anyone actually heard this from the actual NFA?  When I spoke to them about my approval they said the standard 30 days. I am at 3 weeks which to me is ridiculous in itself. 

I am wondering if I should still submit for a certified copy at 30 days if it hasn’t arrived by then.
View Quote

I made that mention in the Cqbr thread. I called on the 29th (Wed) to check on a 4/15 approval.
Guy stated allow up to 75 days for dealers to receive physical stamps... Not sure if he over extended the times to prevent excessive calls.

As someone else mentioned, I'm still going request a certified copy when day 30 rolls around.
Day 360 and counting.

ETA: Stamp in hand on 5/8/2020
Atf post marked on 5/1/2020, 23 days from approval to dealer.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 3:02:41 PM EDT
[#30]
You guys are not building up hope I will see my two approvals anytime soon.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 4:09:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By 2Keylows:

I made that mention in the Cqbr thread. I called on the 29th (Wed) to check on a 4/15 approval. 
Guy stated allow up to 75 days for dealers to receive physical stamps... Not sure if he over extended the times to prevent excessive calls. 

As someone else mentioned, I'm still going request a certified copy when day 30 rolls around. 
Day 360 and counting. 
View Quote

At this rate, getting the stamp after approval will equal the time it took to get approval. Totally unsat they can't get to PO once a week, or in their case, I bet the PO comes to them.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 4:27:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By 1911xdm:
You guys are not building up hope I will see my two approvals anytime soon.
View Quote
My galaxy brain rationalization is that my not yet approved F4 (Oct 19 pending) will get to me faster once its approved and the delivery times return to normal-ish (let's call it two weeks +/-)
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 4:35:12 PM EDT
[#33]
You guys are not building up hope I will see my two approvals anytime soon. 
View Quote

My personal expectation Dates from two different February purchases are the middle of August and the middle of September
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 12:44:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Well I called the atf and asked about mailing approved forms. The lady told me they just sit there and the mail room only works a few days a month. No wonder it’s taking 30-45 days to mail out approvals.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 2:07:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Well I called the atf and asked about mailing approved forms. The lady told me they just sit there and the mail room only works a few days a month. No wonder it’s taking 30-45 days to mail out approvals.
View Quote

What a joke, few days a month. Probably still get a full months pay doing nothing.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 2:43:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By coanan2:

What a joke, few days a month. Probably still get a full months pay doing nothing.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By coanan2:
Well I called the atf and asked about mailing approved forms. The lady told me they just sit there and the mail room only works a few days a month. No wonder it’s taking 30-45 days to mail out approvals.

What a joke, few days a month. Probably still get a full months pay doing nothing.

At this point, I honesty believe the only reason that Congress doesn't just completely defund the NFA branch and tell us all to get F'd is that police departments are required to go through the NFA process to get certain things.  There is a pretty universal belief among legislators that the 2nd amendment does not extend to or protect NFA items, period.

They did the defunding trick with 18 USC 925(c), which was previously one of the only avenues felons had available to get their firearms rights restored.

Link Posted: 5/8/2020 2:18:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Ok I’ve had a Mask HD pending since July 2019 and a Wolfman since November 2019

No word.  NFA branch only says “pending”.  My first NFA items.

My best friend has had five stamps approved inside 90 days.

Four cans and an SBR. (DAKOTA MP5SD two stamp) was two of them.

This forum and the internet in general is awash with 45-90 day approvals and I’m sitting with my proverbial dick in my hand

What kind of bullshit non sense is this shit???

Link Posted: 5/8/2020 2:35:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1911xdm] [#38]
Originally Posted By gotuonpaper:
Ok I’ve had a Mask HD pending since July 2019 and a Wolfman since November 2019

No word.  NFA branch only says “pending”.  My first NFA items. 

My best friend has had five stamps approved inside 90 days. 

Four cans and an SBR. (DAKOTA MP5SD two stamp) was two of them. 

This forum and the internet in general is awash with 45-90 day approvals and I’m sitting with my proverbial dick in my hand

What kind of bullshit non sense is this shit???

View Quote

Welcome to the nfa world. Sometimes mine takes 300 days sometimes it takes 90 days. I always just plan on 9-10 months.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 2:39:06 PM EDT
[#39]
One thing we do know is, they're not going in order.  It's all over the place, no rhyme or reason to it.  I sent in six, same package, five get approve March 10th, sixth one May 5th. To top if off, it's taking over a month to get them mailed out.  Only the gov. can stay in business doing this.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 2:50:36 PM EDT
[#40]

This forum and the internet in general is awash with 45-90 day approvals and I’m sitting with my proverbial dick in my hand

View Quote

Same for me.  I have three cans in 7/19, 10/19 and 3/20.  Nothing on the first two but everyone else around those dates has had theirs approved for months.  Its maddening.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 3:15:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By laxman09:

Same for me.  I have three cans in 7/19, 10/19 and 3/20.  Nothing on the first two but everyone else around those dates has had theirs approved for months.  Its maddening. 
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By laxman09:

Same for me.  I have three cans in 7/19, 10/19 and 3/20.  Nothing on the first two but everyone else around those dates has had theirs approved for months.  Its maddening. 

It doesn’t help this is my best friend and gun buddy and he’s racking up stamps like nothing and I can’t get my first one.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 3:16:22 PM EDT
[#42]
I wonder if they will get so slow that either people will give up on using them and build their own illegal cans, OR, if the courts will decide that the extremely long delays amount to a denial of people's rights.  I can understand something like 60 days or so, but a year is just beyond reasonable.  

I'm sure BATFE could come up with enough excuses to say that with all the expenses, and personnel out because of Covid-19, the delay will be five years.   At some point the court may decide the either the moment BATFE cashes the check it is an automatic grant because the tax has been paid, or if BATFE holds onto the check, the court could decide that the citizen has attempted to pay the tax, and they are being denied a right.

Simply put, the agency will make all manner of excuses why it has such extended wait times.  Perhaps congress needs to pass a law saying that BATFE gets a certain number of days to process the requests, or it is an automatic authorization for the applicant.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 4:28:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Genin:
I wonder if they will get so slow that either people will give up on using them and build their own illegal cans, OR, if the courts will decide that the extremely long delays amount to a denial of people's rights.  I can understand something like 60 days or so, but a year is just beyond reasonable.  

I'm sure BATFE could come up with enough excuses to say that with all the expenses, and personnel out because of Covid-19, the delay will be five years.   At some point the court may decide the either the moment BATFE cashes the check it is an automatic grant because the tax has been paid, or if BATFE holds onto the check, the court could decide that the citizen has attempted to pay the tax, and they are being denied a right.

Simply put, the agency will make all manner of excuses why it has such extended wait times.  Perhaps congress needs to pass a law saying that BATFE gets a certain number of days to process the requests, or it is an automatic authorization for the applicant.
View Quote

They do it with NICS checks. No way they can’t do it with this stuff.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 6:58:58 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm sure BATFE could come up with enough excuses to say that with all the expenses, and personnel out because of Covid-19, the delay will be five years.   At some point the court may decide the either the moment BATFE cashes the check it is an automatic grant because the tax has been paid, or if BATFE holds onto the check, the court could decide that the citizen has attempted to pay the tax, and they are being denied a right.
View All Quotes

I don't expect the courts to offer any more relief on this issue.  Many federal courts won't even agree that you have a 2nd amendment right to "assault weapons", let alone NFA shit.  If they don't think you have a right to NFA stuff, then the ATF can make the delays as long as they like.  They could even just defund the whole mess and refuse to process them outright.

Simply put, the agency will make all manner of excuses why it has such extended wait times.  Perhaps congress needs to pass a law saying that BATFE gets a certain number of days to process the requests, or it is an automatic authorization for the applicant.

Loosening restrictions on NFA anything is a loser in Congress.  Nobody's going to touch that with a 20ft pole.  The NFA community is too small for them to see any benefit from doing it, and you know the next time somebody did something bad with an NFA item the media would be clamoring for the heads of whoever voted for it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 7:04:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Turbo K bought 4-24-19
Check cashed 5-16-19
Approved 4-28-20
waiting for stamp to arrive
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 4:19:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: monkeypunch] [#46]
In my annoyance of waiting on 3 Form 4s, I submitted a Form 1 this morning. I didn't think or notice it until after I submitted and was looking at the CLEO copy, but I put "6.8 SPC" under caliber on the RP 2320.23 form. The line item I did correctly and used 6.8MM. Odds I get rejected? Its absurd anyone would have to worry about a minor clerical thing like this.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 4:53:15 PM EDT
[#47]
We just got back 3 for 2 of our customers.  2 were submitted in October, 1 in April.  All came in the same day.  On the April one, the difference between the approval date and the postmark was 30 days.  30 days to get from the approver's desk to the post office?  Talk about efficiency!
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 6:23:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By WWoodworth:
We just got back 3 for 2 of our customers.  2 were submitted in October, 1 in April.  All came in the same day.  On the April one, the difference between the approval date and the postmark was 30 days.  30 days to get from the approver's desk to the post office?  Talk about efficiency!
View Quote

Yup.  Got my Form 4 back two days ago and on the stamp was the date of approval: April 1.  Called the ATF like 10 days prior as well and they said then that it was still pending.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 6:28:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 9:54:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1911xdm] [#50]
Originally Posted By BigWaylon:

That fits the theory I posed earlier. 

If they’re working from home, they’re approving them in batches and making occasional runs back to the office. It’s not until the forms are back in the office that the registry is updated and the mailing process started.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BigWaylon:
Originally Posted By AZ-AR15:

Yup.  Got my Form 4 back two days ago and on the stamp was the date of approval: April 1.  Called the ATF like 10 days prior as well and they said then that it was still pending. 

That fits the theory I posed earlier. 

If they’re working from home, they’re approving them in batches and making occasional runs back to the office. It’s not until the forms are back in the office that the registry is updated and the mailing process started.

Well a lady on the phone at the atf said the mail room only works a few days a month cuz of covid.
I have two approvals I’m waiting on since 4/23. I’ve never not had a strap in my hands a week after approval
Page / 66
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top