Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2017 3:52:55 PM EDT
So, working on building my very first SBR, so I sent the lower off to a very well recommended company to be engraved as they are somewhat close to me and I'd seen lots of very good reviews on Arfcom and elsewhere. Got it back today(after a week of having the tracking number ), and not only is the trust engraving crooked , the other engraving I had them do (cosmetic) is a light engraving instead of the deep engraving as I'd requested via email. 

How pissed should I be? I mean yeah...it's gonna shoot the same regardless...but 

At work now, will post a pic once I get home.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 4:10:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Fill it in with black shoe polish.  Nobody gives a shit about my engraving.  I bet they feel the same about yours.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 4:53:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So, working on building my very first SBR, so I sent the lower off to a very well recommended company to be engraved as they are somewhat close to me and I'd seen lots of very good reviews on Arfcom and elsewhere. Got it back today(after a week of having the tracking number ), and not only is the trust engraving crooked , the other engraving I had them do (cosmetic) is a light engraving instead of the deep engraving as I'd requested via email. 

How pissed should I be? I mean yeah...it's gonna shoot the same regardless...but 

View Quote

Every time you shoot the gun, you are going to be pissed.

Lowers are cheap.  Hopefully you have followed my previous advise and not sent in the Form 1 yet.

Get another lower and start over.  Tell the engraver you expect them to do it right next time... and at no cost to your.

I cut my engraver some slack the first time because he told me he had never done any NFA engraving. We worked together to get him set up to do it right. I made him a jig to hold the lower so my first gun was free. I was not happy with the first attempt so we turned the lower over and did it again on the other side.  Beautiful... but now I have a SBR lower with crappy engraving on one side.  I wish I had started over on another lower.  Lowers were about 150 dollars at that time.  Now they are "almost" free.

Do yourself a favor and get a new lower and get it done right.  You can use the lower you have now to build a pistol or something.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 4:57:27 PM EDT
[#3]
The above advice is terrible in my opinion. I guess it all comes down to if you're a shooter or a "collector of pretty guns"

I sent 2 off last month and put "anywhere" in the engraving location box... Because I love to shoot, I dont polish my guns before I go to sleep nor do I cry if they get scratched

Ya everyone gets all excited about their first SBR and its a fun moment, but you honestly will not care.. If your think about it and are "pissed" everytime you shoot your gun you have some OCD issues that you'll have to see a therapist for

ETA if its Ident, they did several guns for me a while back that were fine (maybe its a "new guy"), but have since used Tar Heel State.. cheaper. All that being said there's no excuse for crooked engraving, I'm just saying dont worry about it
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 4:57:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Lowers are cheap.  Hopefully you have followed my previous advise and not sent in the Form 1 yet.

Get another lower and start over.  Tell the engraver you expect them to do it right next time... and at no cost to your.

I cut my engraver some slack the first time because he told me he had never done any NFA engraving. we worked together to get him set up to do it right.  I was not happy with the first attempt so we turned the lower over and did it again on the other side.  Beautiful... but now I have a SBR lower with crappy engraving on one side.  I wish I had started over on another lower.  Lowers were about 150 dollars at that time.  Now they are "almost" free.

Do yourself a favor and get a new lower and get it done right.  You can use the lower you have now to build a pistol or something.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I cut my engraver some slack the first time because he told me he had never done any NFA engraving. we worked together to get him set up to do it right.  I was not happy with the first attempt so we turned the lower over and did it again on the other side.  Beautiful... but now I have a SBR lower with crappy engraving on one side.  I wish I had started over on another lower.  Lowers were about 150 dollars at that time.  Now they are "almost" free.

Yeah, I didn't see that advice a year ago when I sent the form off.  

I know that now, and will definitely do that on any future lowers. But..kinda is what it is right now on this one, haven't contacted the vendor yet, gonna give them a chance to do something in regards to making it right. I guess worst case this one may end up being more of a rattlecan camo beater hunting gun than originally anticipated. 
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 6:40:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Hard to show once I blacked out our name, but added the lines for clarity. 

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 7:31:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Gen Disc type response removed
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 7:32:06 PM EDT
[#7]
looks fine to me.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 7:37:34 PM EDT
[#8]
It's your lower, so you can not like it if you choose. You can call the company and see if they'll do something to make it right. By that I mean refund you some money, not pay for a whole new lower.

The fact is that should've been engraved straight. You paid for something and it should be done correctly.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 7:38:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I had a local trophy shop do mine... DONT USE YOUR LOCAL TROPHY SHOP FOR ENGRAVING.

All said and done, it cost me $0. Because they fully refunded every dime of my money, and the owner went back over it to clean it up as best as possible. I had one of the lowers cerakoted, and once stripped and coated, you barely notice the jacked up engraving. Nobody else has ever noticed it. Next set of engraved lowers... they're getting sent to Tar Heel.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 7:45:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Shoot it enough and it'll stop bothering you.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 7:56:59 PM EDT
[#11]
It looks worse in person, and most of my rifles end up with the thrown down the driveway look anyways as I don't really care for pristine safe queens. But, if you pay decent money to an 07 FFL to do shit right, I don't expect the shit to come back crooked. Even if it is just a stupid engraving.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 8:08:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It's your lower, so you can not like it if you choose. You can call the company and see if they'll do something to make it right. By that I mean refund you some money, not pay for a whole new lower.

The fact is that should've been engraved straight. You paid for something and it should be done correctly.
View Quote
Thanks, that's kind of been my line of thinking this whole time. I don't really have expectations of the engraving being perfectly level just due to the process and the fact that it's just a few silly words on a lower, but I shouldn't be able to look at it from couple feet away and see it's off either.

The lower is what it is, it's not like it can be fixed and I wouldn't expect a replacement, but I'll update this thread with the vendor's response anyways. I'm actually probably more annoyed with the cosmetic engraving not getting done in the deep marking now, as I planned on coating this gun. Guess I'll decide which I want more. 
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 8:34:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I sent 2 off last month and put "anywhere" in the engraving location box... 
View Quote
There's an engraving location box
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 8:54:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
There's an engraving location box
View Quote
Not on the form 1 ha.. on the engravers website when you order an engraving service (Tar Heel State in my case) before you send it
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 9:14:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Ah, OK. Thanks
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 11:51:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Dude, you couldn't pay me to give a shit about that. What's the difference from one extreme end to the other? 1 millimeter?
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 12:11:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Dude, you couldn't pay me to give a shit about that. What's the difference from one extreme end to the other? 1 millimeter?
View Quote
It honestly looks worse in person than the pic shows. And yeah, it's not cocked at a 45 degree angle, but it's very noticeable given that it's right below a perfectly horizontal reference point. But maybe you're cool with paying pretty decent money for less than great work. Hell, guess I shoulda just busted out the dremel! 

Regardless, vendor got back to me and is handling everything in a very upfront way. So I'm good. 
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 12:12:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Definitely needs to be smashed with a hammer and thrown into a fire.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 12:15:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Personally, I wouldn't care because I have zero plans of ever selling my SBR lowers.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 12:31:41 AM EDT
[#20]
cut it with a bandsaw and send it back...

that'll learn em.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 12:40:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It honestly looks worse in person than the pic shows. And yeah, it's not cocked at a 45 degree angle, but it's very noticeable given that it's right below a perfectly horizontal reference point. But maybe you're cool with paying pretty decent money for less than great work. Hell, guess I shoulda just busted out the dremel! 

Regardless, vendor got back to me and is handling everything in a very upfront way. So I'm good. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty decent money? Engraving is like $30. Less than great? It's a legally required engraving, not a beauty pageant. You sound like the kind of guy who puts a piece of velcro on the brass deflector so it doesn't get scratched.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 1:27:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's the main thing. I had a gunsmith do a less than perfect job on something I paid a premium to get right. It was their speciality.
They paid shipping both ways, had a one week turnaround, and provided $40 worth of extra service. Also, I had over 50 emails answered in a timely manner from start to finish.
They made it right, and I'm very happy with the final product.
Good luck!
And it doesn't look that bad, if they make it right in other ways shoot the crap out of it!
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 1:39:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Pretty decent money? Engraving is like $30. Less than great? It's a legally required engraving, not a beauty pageant. You sound like the kind of guy who puts a piece of velcro on the brass deflector so it doesn't get scratched.
View Quote
Actually, as see above I don't really give a crap about the appearance of my rifles if it's stuff do to them. I don't care if they get scuffed, scratched to shit, I'll rattle can them if need be, etc. They're tools, and I treat them as such (you should see my 870 ). Engraving was more than that with the other stuff I had done simultaneously, both Ident and Gray (Texas companies) charge around $60 for standard SBR engraving. Still, not much in the grand scheme of building a rifle, but if I pay someone money to perform a job, regardless of how much money that is, I expect a good job. I don't really see why that's such a hard concept to understand.

Regardless, off to order some more parts and shoot the hell outta this thing! 
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 2:00:40 AM EDT
[#24]
So who did this work?
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 9:55:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
cut it with a bandsaw and send it back...

that'll learn em.
View Quote
Obligatory reference.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 11:21:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
I will never understand why people make excuses for bad work,  and defend companies to do it.

This kind of thing wouldn't be a big deal to me, but that doesn't excuse the fact that someone did subpar work
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 11:27:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Actually, as see above I don't really give a crap about the appearance of my rifles if it's stuff do to them. I don't care if they get scuffed, scratched to shit, I'll rattle can them if need be, etc. They're tools, and I treat them as such (you should see my 870 ). Engraving was more than that with the other stuff I had done simultaneously, both Ident and Gray (Texas companies) charge around $60 for standard SBR engraving. Still, not much in the grand scheme of building a rifle, but if I pay someone money to perform a job, regardless of how much money that is, I expect a good job. I don't really see why that's such a hard concept to understand.

Regardless, off to order some more parts and shoot the hell outta this thing! 
View Quote
Should have used Veritan Machine.  No, I'm not affiliated. They do great work and have a quick turn around. They send a proof image before engraving too.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 1:48:53 AM EDT
[#28]
I used Capitol Armory and I was in and out in 20 minutes, they showed me a sample before they did my two lowers.  It was fast and done right, I wouldn't hesitate to have them do it again.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 10:21:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Know how often I look at the engraving on my SBRs?  I actually don't remember the last time I even noticed it and one of them is WAY worse than your pic.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:35:22 AM EDT
[#30]
I'd just run it, my engraving job didn't turn out very good either but you really stop noticing after a while when you're having fun blasting away with your new SBR!
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 12:29:03 PM EDT
[#31]
I wouldn't deal with them ever again, but wouldn't let that bother me for shooting the gun and enjoying it.

Mine were done by Tarheel, excellent service and very fast.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 8:48:23 PM EDT
[#32]
One of mine is slightly crooked like that. It bugged me for about two days. I don't even notice anymore. Not like Form 1 SBRs have any significant value anyway. 
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 8:53:40 PM EDT
[#33]
OP, you really wont even notice it after you rattle can it anyways!

Non issue!
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 2:27:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 1:06:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. The things people worry about. SMH
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 9:43:26 PM EDT
[#36]
If it makes you feel better, this is what an engraver did to my full auto lower (mind you it's on a Form 2.  Third hole not drilled yet).  He put the "AUTO" on the wrong side of the wrong hole! I wasn't happy.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:56:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 1:14:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
If it makes you feel better, this is what an engraver did to my full auto lower (mind you it's on a Form 2.  Third hole not drilled yet).  He put the "AUTO" on the wrong side of the wrong hole! I wasn't happy.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/249712/20170913_214027-3628x2721-306972.JPG
View Quote
To hell with the location....

The damned FONT is WRONG!!!
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 1:20:21 AM EDT
[#39]
What are we bitching about again????  
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 7:47:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/249712/20170913_214027-3628x2721-306972.JPG
View Quote
lololol oh man that's classic
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:02:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Yeah I wasn't happy. Luckily I was using a KNS anti rotation set up and it covers most of it. Needless to say I don't go back to that engraver anymore.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 11:54:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Here is the thing, I krylon my guns because they are tools and looks don’t matter per say

But 1, you paid for a job that wasn’t done correctly, and 2, you can’t remive a bad engraving and redo it.

Doesn’t bother some people?  Good for them. It obviously bothers you because you made this thread. Call the company and calmly explain it’s not acceptable. You should be fine.

Ultimately they should foot the bill for everything including the lower but you might have to buy that yourself

And who is going to complain about having a spare lower?  They always turn into another gun and that’s awesome.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 11:58:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Side note: in this thread we learn about the people I’d hire and the people I wouldn’t.

I’d hire the OP and people who agree with him. It shows they pay attention to detail, want the job done right, are meticulous, et cetera.

The rest of you would probably make for average employees. “Good enough”.  I’m sure you’ll all squawk about how awesome you are but your attitude toward this shows otherwise.

Just making an honest observation
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 12:46:09 PM EDT
[#44]
I would not give that a second thought

its a tool, not a museum piece
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 12:55:04 PM EDT
[#45]
This guy does all my engraving his work is always great.  Inside the lip of the magwell is my favorite.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 2:20:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 2:46:35 PM EDT
[#47]
As a guy that does CNC work for side business, I would not accept that result from myself.   Yes, it's not a huge error, but personally my eye is drawn right to any lines that aren't parallel like that and I would expect myself to produce better results than that for a customer's money.

I'd certainly refund the amount they paid.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 3:36:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Side note: in this thread we learn about the people I’d hire and the people I wouldn’t.

I’d hire the OP and people who agree with him. It shows they pay attention to detail, want the job done right, are meticulous, et cetera.

The rest of you would probably make for average employees. “Good enough”.  I’m sure you’ll all squawk about how awesome you are but your attitude toward this shows otherwise.

Just making an honest observation
View Quote
It isn't about how well I do attention to detail in things I do.

It is about how I react to work by others that is not quite done right and priorities in my life. It is not straight, but is spelled correctly and the letters line up. It isnt perfect but it is legal. It also is not a museum peice. It is a tool. If he uses it, it will get scratched, scuffed, nicked, and worn.

Is it wrong? Yep. I am going to waste my time demanding my money back ? nope. It can not be fixed and it isnt worth $30 or what ever he paid to complain about something that can not be fixed.

If I have more engraving done Zi would probably  bring that to show him and ask the next one be straighter, but life is too busy and too short to be spending time not happy about some letters not being perfectly straight on a gun that if we were truely free would not even be there.

That is life.

The engraving is not straight on his SBR

Somebody is going to put a door dent in his new truck at the home depot parking lot

His dog is going to crap on his new carpet

The guy that paints his house is not going to tape everything just right and there will be trim paint on the wall.

Shit happens. Yep he paid for a sub standard job. If I got upset everytine I paid someone to do something and they did it less well than I would have done, I would spend my entire life not happy.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 3:42:26 AM EDT
[#49]
Gen Disc type response removed
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 7:05:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I had a local trophy shop do mine... DONT USE YOUR LOCAL TROPHY SHOP FOR ENGRAVING.

All said and done, it cost me $0. Because they fully refunded every dime of my money, and the owner went back over it to clean it up as best as possible. I had one of the lowers cerakoted, and once stripped and coated, you barely notice the jacked up engraving. Nobody else has ever noticed it. Next set of engraved lowers... they're getting sent to Tar Heel.
View Quote
This. Local engraver screwed a 1919 side plate of mine, I too paid nothing.  For what it's worth though, your Lower looks OK to me.  It's not like they ran the engraver off the side of the receiver...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top