Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/3/2017 10:44:40 AM EDT
Not much else to say - just seems there is no news on it and the bill(s) has not progressed at all.  Am I missing some public updates somewhere or has everyone forgotten?

At this point, I am wishing I had just started the paperwork six months ago - at least I'd be about halfway to getting stamps back by now - maybe.

rrm
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 10:56:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Shoulda got a can 6 months ago.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 10:59:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank the nevertrumpers and the GOPe.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 11:07:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Republicans don't care about your freedoms.  Electing Trump didn't change that.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 11:07:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Bigger fish to fry at the moment.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 11:10:17 AM EDT
[#5]
I thought it got bundled with removal of sporting purposes into a bill that's currently in committee that has to approve it for it to reach the house floor?

Unless I'm mistaken, that is in fact progress.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 11:12:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I would say do it now. If it does pass I'm expecting every suppressor to be $1500 .

Call it a hunch. But the nfa dance is the only thing keeping more people from buying them. If there is an explosion in demand. You can count on that price going up.

Quickly
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 11:15:18 AM EDT
[#7]
The only way it passes is if it is rolled into an Omnibus or some random CR. That's how anything gets done in Washington these days.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 11:40:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bigger fish to fry at the moment.
View Quote
Oh there's plenty of fish that need frying, but republicans are just kind of staring at the oil with their hands in their pockets.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 11:58:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I thought it got bundled with removal of sporting purposes into a bill that's currently in committee that has to approve it for it to reach the house floor?

Unless I'm mistaken, that is in fact progress.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 12:02:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I would say do it now. If it does pass I'm expecting every suppressor to be $1500 .

Call it a hunch. But the nfa dance is the only thing keeping more people from buying them. If there is an explosion in demand. You can count on that price going up.

Quickly
View Quote
Sorry for the FNG mistake....I meant to quote this guy....if the HPA ever passes, suppressor prices are going to skyrocket with the increased demand because, to my admittedly limited knowledge, none of the suppressor companies are increasing their inventory expenses on the chance it will pass at some random point in the future.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 2:04:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
This says it all.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 2:16:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Sure, prices would increase in the very short term, but with the removal of regulations, small shops would pop up in weeks selling aluminum cans for $100, SS cans for $200, and inconel for $300. Everyone who already turns out firearm parts will roll out their own versions, ranging in price and quality. In short, without regulatory hurdles, the market will adjust rapidly.

But the HPA isn't going anywhere. Nobody gives two shits about it. There NRA and Trump got what they wanted from you, don't expect them to push for anything you want.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 2:55:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't think HPA will ever pass. I would love for it to, but I'm not making any decisions based upon its possibility whatsoever. As people always say, every extra day you wait to file your form is an extra day you wait to get your stamp. (Yes, wait times fluctuate, so not necessarily a one for one tradeoff, but you get the gist.)

My view, you want something, buy it. If cans come off the registry, YAY! We'll celebrate together. If that means that you spent $200 more right now that you would not have had to spend in the future, them's the breaks (and that assumes that the HPA that passes does not include the refunds; if it does all the better). Anyway, if $200 will make or break you, I'd advise not going down the NFA rabbit hole at all. NFAids is catchin' and it's spendy. If cans don't come off the registry, you'll be happy you didn't wait any longer to file.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 3:30:09 PM EDT
[#14]
It'll never pass.  It has become clear as crystal that Congress doesn't give a flying frack about you, me, or anyone except themselves.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 5:22:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quickly
View Quote
This. It's a lose, lose for us, always has been when the government is involved.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 7:21:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Sure, prices would increase in the very short term, but with the removal of regulations, small shops would pop up in weeks selling aluminum cans for $100, SS cans for $200, and inconel for $300. Everyone who already turns out firearm parts will roll out their own versions, ranging in price and quality. In short, without regulatory hurdles, the market will adjust rapidly.

But the HPA isn't going anywhere. Nobody gives two shits about it. There NRA and Trump got what they wanted from you, don't expect them to push for anything you want.
View Quote
Uh.........regulations has jack squat to do with the price of silencers.

BTW, there are already several manufacturers turning out $99 cans.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 7:43:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Oh there's plenty of fish that need frying, but republicans are just kind of staring at the oil with their hands in their pockets.
View Quote
This is gold.  I've never heard or read a better analogy to the current political circumstance than this one.

Republicans have it all but aren't doing anything with it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 7:30:09 PM EDT
[#18]
lol...

well I mean, get trump in office and get HPA and pro 2 a momentum... right?

LMFAO.

The GOP don't care about your 2a, it's a wedge issue for them. Trump is anti-2a, he said so in his book in writing. He only claimed to love the NRA when he hit the campaign trail.

You can't seriously believe this garbage...
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 7:42:24 PM EDT
[#19]
What ever happened to the Don Jr. Pro-2A committee?
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 7:50:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What ever happened to the Don Jr. Pro-2A committee?
View Quote
Started to fade into the background as soon as they didn't need the votes anymore. Now it's "There are Bigger issues to Deal with", eventually will become... need to focus on 2020 and can't have 2A record stand in the way of that, wait for second term... then it will slowly dither into obscurity. Happens every time the GOP takes the WH....

Short Term memory amongst the 2A crowd. All hopped up on gun powder and OD'd on CLP.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 8:53:27 PM EDT
[#21]
The shush act was recently introduced.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 10:07:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Has nothing to do with political party, it is just of zero significance for anyone to put any time or energy into (politically). Its 100x less important than even the last thing on their list.

Ya I get it "ohhhh ya its my freedom! USA USA give us our guns!" blah blah blah... but there are a million other things to say that about, it isn't going to make them say "you're right! Lets do this!"

And regardless of political party, both sides do not pass things just because... the "HPA" literally does nothing for them, and the people it does something for is a TINY group of people.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 1:36:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
the "HPA" literally does nothing for them, and the people it does something for is a TINY group of people.
View Quote
True, because the NRA gags themselves on the caaack of the GOP / Trump even if they don't / never deliver. So there is nothing to gain for them. They get the NRA no matter what.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 5:37:11 PM EDT
[#24]
At this point, I don't care and I'm not waiting around for it to pass.  I'm just going to pay my $200 and wait for a year and not worry about what brand of doing nothing the do nothings in Congress are up to.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:48:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uhh, when you start a sentence that way, one can be well assured that you're about to say something without substance.

Regulations increase the cost of dealing in NFA items, but more importantly, the hassle of compliance ensures that fewer companies are willing to produce silencers. Competition always lowers prices.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:53:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I don't think HPA will ever pass. I would love for it to, but I'm not making any decisions based upon its possibility whatsoever. As people always say, every extra day you wait to file your form is an extra day you wait to get your stamp. (Yes, wait times fluctuate, so not necessarily a one for one tradeoff, but you get the gist.)

My view, you want something, buy it. If cans come off the registry, YAY! We'll celebrate together. If that means that you spent $200 more right now that you would not have had to spend in the future, them's the breaks (and that assumes that the HPA that passes does not include the refunds; if it does all the better). Anyway, if $200 will make or break you, I'd advise not going down the NFA rabbit hole at all. NFAids is catchin' and it's spendy. If cans don't come off the registry, you'll be happy you didn't wait any longer to file.
View Quote
well said... I have zero faith that HPA will pass and people who sit around waiting for it to pass at retarded
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:30:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ding ding ding!

They all need removal. Starting with Ryan.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:32:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Sorry for the FNG mistake....I meant to quote this guy....if the HPA ever passes, suppressor prices are going to skyrocket with the increased demand because, to my admittedly limited knowledge, none of the suppressor companies are increasing their inventory expenses on the chance it will pass at some random point in the future.
View Quote
It's classified as a firearm.

I will be able to buy parts and make my own "firearm" the week after it goes into effect with..

Chinese parts, off eBay or Amazon.

None of those suppressor idiot companies are going to make shit from the law change.

There will be a run on suppressor host barrels, on the other hand.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 7:36:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Uhh, when you start a sentence that way, one can be well assured that you're about to say something without substance.      
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In your case I agree.

Regulations increase the cost of dealing in NFA items,  
Really?
I'm an FFL/SOT................so enlighten me on how ATF regulations increase my costs.  
I'll save you the embarrassment....they don't. The same recordkeeping applies to Title II (NFA) as it does to Title I (nonNFA).  Namely maintaining a "bound book". That requirement is the same for a kitchen table dealer doing two transfers a week as it is for Silencer Shop, Gemtech or Silencerco.

The cost to acquire and maintain an 07FFL/SOT/ITAR for a manufacturer is less than $3000 a year. And that isn't "regulation", it's normal business fees. And for a 01FFL/SOT dealer it's a whopping $500!!!!!!

If a potential silencer manufacturer bails on the idea because of $3K, he isn't much of a businessman is he?

but more importantly, the hassle of compliance ensures that fewer companies are willing to produce silencers. Competition always lowers prices      
Again, tell us more about "the hassle of compliance" that you believe cause companies to not manufacture silencers.
This should be good. It's always entertaining when someone who doesn't know jack shit about a subject tries to tell those in the business how to do it better.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:06:46 AM EDT
[#30]
HPA, SHUSH or whatever they call it this week isn't going to pass. Just buy one now. 

For the record, I hope I am wrong. Way wrong. But I just don't see it passing. In the grand scheme of things the number of supporters involved, while having grown significantly recently, is still very small. 
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 9:56:52 PM EDT
[#31]
I would say there isn't a chance of it passing in his first term, might have some luck with his second term as he has nothing to loose.

Then again he may only be a one term president, he's pretty old and feel like he might do 4 years and call throw in the towel.

Either way if you want a suppressor buy it now, pay the tax and get in line.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 10:07:31 PM EDT
[#32]
When people get off their butts and hound their congressmen and senators, yes.  Until then, no.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 10:25:43 PM EDT
[#33]
I love seeing bumped old threads from a year+ ago and reading someone saying "when hpa passes ill throw a silencer on it"
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 12:41:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

This says it all.
View Quote
they will leave it hanging for the midterms as another excuse to get gun owners out to vote, and then nothing will happen.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:38:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I love seeing bumped old threads from a year+ ago and reading someone saying "when hpa passes ill throw a silencer on it"
View Quote
This thread was started a week ago.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:52:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

This thread was started a week ago.
View Quote
lol I'm not referring to this thread, I don't think people are saying "if it passes ill get one" anymore, I think the attitude is ill just get to business now, and if it passes things will be easier.

When the first HPA threads started coming out people made it out to be a 95% sure thing that it would pass, screwing all the new guys into thinking they would just wait. Every once in a while an original post gets bumped on other forums and the hope was enthusiastic, but really sent newcomers in the wrong direction. Even the silencer companies had to change their tune cause people were holding off.. I remember people posting correspondence with the shops basically telling them "this is an extreme longshot" just a month after making it sound like (to someone with a very optimistic outlook) this was a sure thing, but I get it they had to get people on board somehow
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 7:16:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Politicians don't care about your freedoms!  They are elected, and in order to get elected they have to care about popular opinions in the districts they are elected in. They have to play the game to get the job. The only .gov people who care are the supreme court justices because they are life positions by appointment. Even then to get approved they have to play the game a little. The system isn't great, but it's what we've got. There are just not enough people writing their representatives to light the fire under their asses.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 8:04:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

The $200 transfer tax plus 10-?? month wait waiting for the F1/F4 approval has everything to do with the price of silencers.  Today's buyer isn't going to want a cheap crappy disposable $25 can that lasts half a year because he'll have $225 (plus cost/hassle for prints and photos), transfer fee up to $100, and a year long wait invested in it before putting the first round through it.  That buyer wants a quality product, which translates into a higher price.

Take away the $200 tax, the wait time, photos, fingerprints, transfer fee, etc. and you'll find parts lists from Home Depot or Lowes along with an instructional video on Youtube showing how to DIY a silencer in your garage for almost nothing in parts.  The buyer won't care if the thing blows up or fails because he has almost nothing invested in it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 8:10:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The $200 transfer tax plus 10-?? month wait waiting for the F1/F4 approval has everything to do with the price of silencers.  Today's buyer isn't going to want a cheap crappy disposable $25 can that lasts half a year because he'll have $225 (plus cost/hassle for prints and photos), transfer fee up to $100, and a year long wait invested in it before putting the first round through it.  That buyer wants a quality product, which translates into a higher price.

Take away the $200 tax, the wait time, photos, fingerprints, transfer fee, etc. and you'll find parts lists from Home Depot or Lowes along with an instructional video on Youtube showing how to DIY a silencer in your garage for almost nothing in parts.  The buyer won't care if the thing blows up or fails because he has almost nothing invested in it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. Call it whatever you want but when you remove the hurdles I guarantee there will be a glut of cheap cans everywhere as well as exponential growth in the homebrew market.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:59:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Cans would be cheap in time.

Dont believe me? Look at historical data on AR15 rifles. At one point you couldnt get one cheaper thsn 800 (remember the 80s and 90s), today you can buy on in the 300s if you look.

Look at AR lowers. You can get them todays in the 20s if you shop [for an aluminum one], in the past they were a lot higher
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 11:14:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. You fell for it if you think otherwise.  And you'll fall for it again.  Time and again.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 11:50:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

This. You fell for it if you think otherwise.  And you'll fall for it again.  Time and again.
View Quote
I'm not sure anyone "fell" for anything, the NRA and Trump didn't campaign on getting silencers legalized for the 0.0001% of the population. People research every HPA article ever written on the web and run across a few NRA blog links to HPA and all the sudden think the NRA is giving their left nuts to get it passed. If you weren't searching for it you wouldn't see anything about the HPA, it is/was a an extreme niche subject.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 1:46:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'm not sure anyone "fell" for anything, the NRA and Trump didn't campaign on getting silencers legalized for the 0.0001% of the population. People research every HPA article ever written on the web and run across a few NRA blog links to HPA and all the sudden think the NRA is giving their left nuts to get it passed. If you weren't searching for it you wouldn't see anything about the HPA, it is/was a an extreme niche subject.
View Quote
Let me expand on "fell for it": If you voted for Trump because you thought he and the Rs would liberalize gun laws to the point of fulfilling your hopes and dreams, then you fell for it.  NRA doesn't care about HPA and neither does Trump.  Too niche as you say.

Suppressors, full auto weapons, bazooka, phased plasma rifle in the 40-watt range - not going to happen.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 1:52:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Let me expand on "fell for it": If you voted for Trump because you thought he and the Rs would liberalize gun laws to the point of fulfilling your hopes and dreams, then you fell for it.  NRA doesn't care about HPA and neither does Trump.  Too niche as you say.

Suppressors, full auto weapons, bazooka, phased plasma rifle in the 40-watt range - not going to happen.
View Quote
this man gets it.... why can't everyone else.   This isn't a sword that any politician will fall on in the near future... too little to gain, too much to lose.... they are better just to keep their mouths shut and allow status quo... sucks, but it is what it is
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 1:53:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes I agree they could care less, but they still get the vote even if zero action is taken and we are at a standstill, because a standstill is better than going in reverse (which for the first time in a long time looked VERY possible with a different election outcome)

I get the optimism, when people like me say things that sound counterproductive to the "movement" its not because we dont want it to happen, I have multiple cans and would love to walk into a store and walk out with the newest and greatest, its for when I see people post that they're waiting for HPA to pass to buy a $300 can, just buy it already you're just wasting time
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 3:15:23 PM EDT
[#46]
I think it will pass any day now and you guys should continue to hold off on submitting your forms.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 6:35:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Yup. Call it whatever you want but when you remove the hurdles I guarantee there will be a glut of cheap cans everywhere as well as exponential growth in the homebrew market.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If y'all go back and reread the thread, you'll see that I was replying to his post about regulations affecting MANUFACTURERS AND DEALERS.......not buyers.
Everyone ALREADY KNOWS how the HPA will affect buyers.

Here's what he wrote:
bluefalcon wrote:.....Regulations increase the cost of dealing in NFA items, but more importantly, the hassle of compliance ensures that fewer companies are willing to produce silencers. Competition always lowers prices.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 7:47:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

If y'all go back and reread the thread, you'll see that I was replying to his post about regulations affecting MANUFACTURERS AND DEALERS.......not buyers.

Here's what he wrote:
View Quote
You don't think with increased downward sales pressure from home brew DIY, that manufacters will reduce their price as well to stay more competitive?
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 8:05:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
You don't think with increased downward sales pressure from home brew DIY, that manufacters will reduce their price as well to stay more competitive?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's what he wrote:
Sure.....for low end models.
But that wasn't the argument. Bluefalcon believes the "high cost of regulation" prevents new manufacturers and dealers from the NFA market. It doesn't because the cost to engage in manufacturing or dealing in NFA is merely pay $500-$1000 SOT and $2,250 ITAR for an 07FFL (manufacturer) and a paltry $500 SOT for an 01FFL (dealer). Recordkeeping is the same for Title I as it is for Title II.

If $3,000 discourages a manufacturer from entering the NFA business then they aren't really wanting to do it in the first place.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 8:14:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Sure.....for low end models.
But that wasn't the argument. Bluefalcon believes the "high cost of regulation" prevents new manufacturers and dealers from the NFA market. It doesn't because the cost to engage in manufacturing or dealing in NFA is merely pay $500-$1000 SOT and $2,250 ITAR for an 07FFL (manufacturer) and a paltry $500 SOT for an 01FFL (dealer). Recordkeeping is the same for Title I as it is for Title II.

If $3,000 discourages a manufacturer from entering the NFA business then they aren't really wanting to do it in the first place.
View Quote
If you look at it from the strictest sense then yes you would be correct in that it is ~$3000 hurdle, but if you look at the macro effects of how regulation on the consumer effects manufactures then there is no way you can say that deregulation will increase or keep prices the same.

ETA: not just low end models look at Larues offerings lately they too have been effected by downward consumer pressure.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top