Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 10:56:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I just wanted to say THANK YOU @BigWaylon

Your well-written and comprehensive guide will help me adapt to the post 41f forms- even going to attempt to roll my own prints so I no longer burden the LEO, especially since it appears it is 2 cards for every item, not just total submission like in the past.  I would have them cast in bronze and mail them in if it would give me a permanent "entry" LOL but the dozens of previous cards must not have been enough

I appreciate your time.  I am not sure if you are aware, but take heart in knowing you are helping the NFA sickness spread like wildfire

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 3:09:04 AM EDT
[#2]
^^^^agreed.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 2:38:34 PM EDT
[#3]
kinda random, but im filling out the form 1, looked at the LEO list for each state, and i noticed when i googled the texas one, it looks like the zip code for the address should be 78752, NOT 78750. also the mailing address is different than the headquarters address. (HQ address listed in the section)
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 3:02:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 3:29:03 PM EDT
[#5]
i want to confirm, before i i submit my paper work, if i file as an individual (NOT TRUST) form 1, i do not have to fill out and submit a form 23, is this correct?
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 5:20:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:09:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Great post and very comprehensive.

One thing I noticed though that I wanted to mention is it looks like a change was made from the past regarding needing to print Form 4's double sided.

According to the current Form 4,

j. Photocopies or Computer Generated Versions or Downloaded Version from ATF Website. The form may be copied or downloaded (for example, from the ATF website (www.atf.gov)).  The form does not have to be printed front to back
View Quote
It also looks like this has been changed on the Form 1

i. Photocopies or Computer Generated Versions. The form may be copied or downloaded (for example, from the ATF website (www.atf.gov)).  The form does not have to be printed front to back.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:53:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 12:37:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Definition (e) on the Form 1 says:

Responsible Person. In the case of an unlicensed entity, including any trust, partnership, association, company (including any Limited Liability Company (LLC)), or corporation, any individual who possesses, directly or indirectly, the power or authority to direct the management and policies of the trust or entity to receive, possess, ship, transport, deliver, transfer or otherwise dispose of a firearm for, or on behalf of, the trust or legal entity. In the case of a trust, those persons with the power or authority to direct the management and policies of the trust includes any person who has the capability to exercise such power and possesses, directly or indirectly the power or authority under any trust instrument, or under State law, to receive possess, ship, transport, deliver, transfer, or otherwise dispose of a firearm for, or on behalf of the trust. Examples of who may be considered a responsible person include settlors/grantors, trustees, partners, members, officers, directors, board members, or owners. An example of who may be excluded from this definition of responsible person is the beneficiary of a trust, if the beneficiary does not have the capability to exercise the enumerated powers or authorities.

Seems to be pretty clear what the answer is based on your question and the definition on the form.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Clarification question:

My wife, my son (underage), and my attorney (brother-in-law) are successor trustees on my trust.  The way it is currently written, they become the trustee only when the person "above" them is removed from the trust due to death or resignation as trustee.  They are also listed in the beneficiary section with the same stipulations to becoming the trustee.  They do not currently have any rights to possess items in the trust until they are trustees.  

So my questions is:  Are they considered responsible persons and therefore need to be fingerprinted and listed on the forms?
Definition (e) on the Form 1 says:

Responsible Person. In the case of an unlicensed entity, including any trust, partnership, association, company (including any Limited Liability Company (LLC)), or corporation, any individual who possesses, directly or indirectly, the power or authority to direct the management and policies of the trust or entity to receive, possess, ship, transport, deliver, transfer or otherwise dispose of a firearm for, or on behalf of, the trust or legal entity. In the case of a trust, those persons with the power or authority to direct the management and policies of the trust includes any person who has the capability to exercise such power and possesses, directly or indirectly the power or authority under any trust instrument, or under State law, to receive possess, ship, transport, deliver, transfer, or otherwise dispose of a firearm for, or on behalf of the trust. Examples of who may be considered a responsible person include settlors/grantors, trustees, partners, members, officers, directors, board members, or owners. An example of who may be excluded from this definition of responsible person is the beneficiary of a trust, if the beneficiary does not have the capability to exercise the enumerated powers or authorities.

Seems to be pretty clear what the answer is based on your question and the definition on the form.
Maybe I'm just dense , but this does not seem clear to me.  I have the same question.  On my trust, I'm listed as the only current trustee/grantor.  I have others listed as future trustees, should I die, but they currently have no "power or authority to direct the management and policies of the trust".  As such, are they still considered "Responsible Persons"?  Now I'm not a lawyer, and this legal parsing of words and phrases gives me a headache.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 11:03:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 9:48:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks.  That makes sense.  The guy at the LGS however was telling me they all were "RP"s.  I'll have to inform him that he's wrong (nicely, of course ).
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 9:50:36 PM EDT
[#12]
So how does it work if a successor trustee is currently living in a non-NFA state like Kommiefornia?  Does that make the trust invalid?  I assume they will not be able to take the items into their home state, but will be allowed to handle and manage them in the free state where I currently live, should I die?  Sorry if this question is a bit too dumb.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 11:04:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 4:08:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So how does it work if a successor trustee is currently living in a non-NFA state like Kommiefornia?  Does that make the trust invalid?  I assume they will not be able to take the items into their home state, but will be allowed to handle and manage them in the free state where I currently live, should I die?  Sorry if this question is a bit too dumb.
View Quote
Make sure they inherit your house as well.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 4:52:04 PM EDT
[#15]
A huge THANK YOU to @BigWaylon for putting this together and maintaining it, I'm sure it was -and continues to be- a lot of work.

My first submission post-41F and this has been extremely helpful. 
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 4:58:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 5:09:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

@Mr_Maim

I haven't made many changes recently...anything you ran across that left you with questions or needed clarification? Any suggestions?
View Quote
I'm actually going through the "Form 4 as an entity" for a couple forms right now to confirm that they were done correctly. After that I'll be doing my RPQs for the same submittals.

I'll report back if I find anything that differs between the instructions and the forms themselves. 

ETA: Finished my submittals.

I'm amused that every FFL/SOT that has filled out the Form 4 for me as a business or entity has filled in the checkboxes in sections 14 and 16. Your instructions are correct and they should skipped if filling out the Form 4 as a business or entity.

Nice job, thank you for your hard work on this!
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:26:28 PM EDT
[#18]
what is the timeline to send in the cleo forms ?  send in when i send everything to ATF ?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:02:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 12:40:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quick question regarding Form 1 as a Trust.  On page 2; the Certification signature...  I signed it as, "my name / Trustee"  Is that ok or should I sign only?
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 4:58:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Also, for POB on the fingerprint card do I just put "TX" ?  Is the abbreviation okay?  Or do I need to put " city / state" ?  

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 7:38:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:30:27 AM EDT
[#23]
BigWaylon, thanks for this input as well as this thorough write up!  It helped a ton.  

For the POB I read that prior and interpreted as state only, which I believe it is.  I'll leave it as, "TX".

Thanks again

Quoted:

That's fine.

For POB, FBI guide says:

13. Place of Birth (POB) Block
Enter the subject’s state, territorial possession, province (Canadian), or country of birth. Use the correct abbreviation for foreign countries or correctly spell the name of the country. A list of approved abbreviations can be found in the NCIC Code Manual. Do not list a county as a POB.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 1:59:43 PM EDT
[#24]
With the forms no longer printed front to back should hey paperclip stapled or what?  Also I'm guessing they went to no longer front and back as its three pages now with the RP and payment on the third page??
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 11:00:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 7:52:43 AM EDT
[#26]
This has probably been discussed but, is it possible to check the status of a post 41F mail in on line? Thanks in advance, especially if this has been talked about.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 9:57:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
This has probably been discussed but, is it possible to check the status of a post 41F mail in on line? Thanks in advance, especially if this has been talked about.C
View Quote
Calling is the only way you can check the status. 
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 10:31:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Calling is the only way you can check the status. 
View Quote
Thanks, that's what I suspected.
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 2:08:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Hey Guys-

Has the ATF mailing address to send Form 1 changed? I sent 3 Form 1 USPS Priority mail using this exact address:

NFA BRANCH
BATFE
PO BOX 530298
ATLANTA, GA 30353-0298

Everything I read says this is correct, what am I missing here? Just received an update on all the tracking numbers that says "Addressee Unknown" the envelopes are being returned back to me. USPS is closed now so I can't call to see what the problem is. Any ideas? Thx
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 6:52:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 9:07:06 PM EDT
[#31]
I created the label online using USPS click and ship due to my horrible handwriting and to avoid any issues like this. I just checked the address on label again and everything is correct. Below is a copy of the tracking history for all 3 envelopes shipped separately. Of course the CLEO notification was successfully delivered to there PO Box.

November 17, 2017, 2:47 pm
Addressee Unknown
ATLANTA, GA 30304
Your item was returned to the sender on November 17, 2017 at 2:47 pm in ATLANTA, GA 30304 because the addressee was not known at the delivery address noted on the package.

November 17, 2017, 7:35 am
Arrived at Post Office
ATLANTA, GA 30304

November 17, 2017, 4:18 am
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
ATLANTA GA DISTRIBUTION CENTER

November 17, 2017, 12:52 am
Departed USPS Regional Facility
ATLANTA GA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER

November 16, 2017, 5:14 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility
ATLANTA GA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER

November 16, 2017, 9:43 am
In Transit to Destination
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 6:28:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Does CLEO notification require photo and or fingerprints? Form 4 Trust 1RP per 41F amendment.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 10:03:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 10:52:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Thank you.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 1:41:22 PM EDT
[#35]
BigWaylon,
Pardon my ignorance, but I recall that someone (I believe it was you) posted somewhere the requirements that CLEO has pertaining to their responsibilities in handling the notifications. In other words, they were not required to keep them on file, they could if they wanted, but it was not a requirement. My understanding that it was probably handled according to their Departmental Policy. The reason I asked, is because my CLEO is in a small rural county. I doubt that they even have a policy and if I can show them what their responsibilities are, they may just sign off and not keep them. It is a "privacy" issue here, as their file will probably the top of their desk...
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 1:57:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 2:02:17 PM EDT
[#37]
That's the ticket. Thank you..
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 2:53:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 4:15:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quick "thank you" to BigWaylon for this thread. Great info and step-by-step details for getting things filled out and prepared properly.

Subscribed a bit ago, and I'm just now getting my envelopes ready to go out for my first two Form 1 applications.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 4:16:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Yes sir, understood.
I know my local quite well and suspect he doesn't fully know the regs. Plan to hand them to him personally, mainly concerned with his inability to keep a tidy office.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 8:40:27 PM EDT
[#41]
How to scan/print to FD-258

I've seen this asked quite a few times, here is how I do it.

Start with two separate quality ink prints on a FD-258 (roll your own, go to local LEO, etc) take extra precaution to keep your prints inbetween the lines and off any of the text.. will make your job easier later.

Scan your FD-258 cards in to your computer, I scan mine at 1200DPI, Document - black & white, PNG file type.

Once you get both of your FD-258 cards scanned in, open them up in your photo editor. I use Adobe Photoshop

Use the magic wand tool and select the white background, now click Select>Inverse. Press CTRL+X or click Edit>Cut to cut your selection. Press CTRL+N or click File>New.

Now paste your prints, CTRL+V or click Edit>Paste

Look to the lower right pane, it will say Layers and show Background and Layer 1. Layer 1 contains your prints and Background is just a white background. We need a transparent background so click the little lock next to Background to unlock the background. Now press Delete on your keyboard.

You should now see your fingerprints (and all the FD-258 form info) on a checkered background vs white.

Click the selection tool and make a box around just your prints, all of your prints in one large box. Now click Image>Crop

Now use your Eraser and erase the lines between your prints and any text. You want to just have your fingerprints left.. if your prints are over a line or text, you will need to zoom in, reduce the size of the Eraser tool and remove the lines.

Once you get done, download this .PDF of the FD-258 Open this PDF up in your photo editor, in Photoshop this will open with a transparent background. In Photoshop an Import PDF box will pop-up, make sure you select the Resolution to match the resolution your scanned your prints, in this case 1200DPI

Now go back to your fingerprint tab, press CTRL+A or click Select>All, then press CTRL+X or click Edit>Cut.

Go back to the FD-258 tab and press CTRL+V or click Edit>Paste.

This will place your finger prints over the FD-258 card. Click on the newly created layer and click Select>All.

Now click on the Move Tool and drag your prints down so they line up with the FD-258 card. At this point go ahead and print out a test page so see how your prints look, you may need to go back and adjust Brightness, Contrast, Levels, etc. I would recommend printing a test after each adjustment to see how it looks. Compare it to your original Ink FD-258.

Once you're happy with how your prints look you can select Layer 1 and press Delete. You should now have just your prints left in the correct location to fit on a FD-258. Now click on File, Print.

When the Print window pops up, click on Print Settings... change Paper Size to User Defined, 8.0" x 8.0", Portrait, Plain Paper and the Resolution to 1200DPI.

Load a few FD-258 cards in your printer (you can write Top and draw an arrow on a piece of paper and print off a test page to see the correct orientation) in my Brother laser printer I place the FD-258 cards face down, with the fingerprint portion of the card being pulled in first.

Now click print. You may get a pop-up stating the image is larger than the print material, just check Do not show again and click ok.

I do not have to play around with margins or any other settings, my prints come out perfectly centered on FD-258 cards every time.

If you have any questions feel free to ask, these instructions are for Adobe Photoshop but you should be able to use any other halfway decent Photo editing software. I have used GIMP before which is very similar to Photoshop, its free and it can be used on several different operating systems, including GNU/Linux.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 7:53:22 PM EDT
[#42]
confused on the self part for employer on the fingerprint cards.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 9:32:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 11:18:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Because it doesn't matter.

The FP cards are a generic form used for BG checks. If having a BG check done is a requirement for you getting a job, you'd use the same form and put the potential employer's name in that field. Since these FPs have nothing to do with a job application, most either leave it blank or put "self" (or incorrectly put the employer/department of the person taking their prints, like a PD or Sheriff's office)...and all of those are approved, which pretty much provides it doesn't matter.
View Quote
can you leave it blank?
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 3:12:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 6:03:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Based on what a lot of people report, yes. But I don't know I've ever left it blank.
View Quote
thanks I am just worried that at a future time they could cry about some technicality or some such and cause a hassle or try to charge with a crime or something.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 8:45:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Here's a completed form I just got back. It's one of the custom ones I did that has 11 firearms instead of the 3 the actual form has.
View Quote
BW, how did you create your own form 5320.2 to add additional lines for more than 3 firearms?  I need to list 5 firearms (not putting my silencers on the form) for a permanent move.

Having a single form with everything listed is so much cleaner, or better imo, vs filling-out more forms in the event a person has more than three lines/sbr's (per instructions).

All my stuff is on two trusts (one trust for Form4 sbr's and silencers, then another trust for Form1 sbr's).  It's all "pre-July 2016".  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:54:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 8:31:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Little update for those interested...

Followed this thread's suggestions as laid out by BigWaylon, and submitted my packets to ATF on 2-28-18

Today, received approved (on 7-5-18 and 7-6-18) stamps in the mail. GTG!

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 5:18:25 AM EDT
[#50]
Question.... Who's responsible for mailing in the CLEO notification?  My SOT said he mails them in.

Thanks
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top