Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Good NFA Trust FAQ Link (Page 4 of 5)
Page / 5
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 7:26:22 PM EDT
[#1]
If one already has a revocable living trust can we just use it?

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 7:29:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bassackwards:
View Quote

Yes. There's nothing special about a "gun trust". Most simply just add some verbiage which the National Firearms Act already covers.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 8:06:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Originally Posted By bassackwards:

View Quote
You may need to add an amendment stating that all trustees remain non-disqualified persons as far as NFA possession...

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 8:08:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Originally Posted By woodzusa:

Another dumb question. If I am the settlor and and trustee and have my wife as the successor trustee and beneficiary, then that is GTG?  Yes

Or do I need a co-trustee?  No

And I am right in assuming that I do not have to list any non NFA items on the amendment going in to the ATF? I would just list say the stripped lower I plan on using for an SBR?  The trust just needs to be funded in most cases.  Mine does not list specific items on the submission I send to the NFA...
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:32:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a few dumb questions:

What happens if all potential trustee's live out of the state where the trust is established?  Is the simple answer that they just have it notarized in their state and forward it on to the next trustee?

If the beneficiary is an infant (not mine), are the parents required to sign some sort of acknowledgement?  Would I need a different trust for any financials I wanted to leave her as well?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:48:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By legion07:

What happens if all potential trustee's live out of the state where the trust is established?  Is the simple answer that they just have it notarized in their state and forward it on to the next trustee?

If the beneficiary is an infant (not mine), are the parents required to sign some sort of acknowledgement?  Would I need a different trust for any financials I wanted to leave her as well?
View Quote
When I had my trust created, I knew their would be out of state trustees, so I executed it with just my wife and myself as trustees and then added the out of state trustees a week or so later.  My beneficiaries may or may not have been born yet (natural born children of my daughter) and she is the successor trustee.  If you're planning to add financial assets, you should consult an estate attorney as well as a financial advisor...

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:02:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By AlabamaPaul:
When I had my trust created, I knew their would be out of state trustees, so I executed it with just my wife and myself as trustees and then added the out of state trustees a week or so later.  My beneficiaries may or may not have been born yet (natural born children of my daughter) and she is the successor trustee.  If you're planning to add financial assets, you should consult an estate attorney as well as a financial advisor...  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By legion07:

Thank you!
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 3:17:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Is there no right to privacy with a trust? Bought one of the gearhog 199 trusts and the dealer really don't like trusts since you have no right to privacy like if you do it in your name. I didn't know that
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:30:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I am in the process of creating my trust now. I currently own 2 stripped lowers that I would like to SBR. Should I list these lowers on the trust right away, or wait until later?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:36:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Can the address of the trust be changed? Does it need to if I Move to another state?
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 2:32:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By IHTFP08:
Can the address of the trust be changed? Does it need to if I Move to another state?
View Quote

I came here looking for the answer to this exact question. I'm in the process of moving, does my trust move with me? What about the engravings that have the old city, state? What if I just submitted a Form 1 and have another to submit, but the move just happened, does the city, state on one lower differ from the city, state on the other?
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 7:12:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By jafish:
I came here looking for the answer to this exact question. I'm in the process of moving, does my trust move with me? What about the engravings that have the old city, state? What if I just submitted a Form 1 and have another to submit, but the move just happened, does the city, state on one lower differ from the city, state on the other?
View All Quotes

There is usually not a problem with the trust when moving as it is set up to be administered under the laws of the state under which it was created.  There is also no issue with the engraving on existing items as they're supposed to reflect where the item was actually made which is independent of the trust...

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 9:07:50 PM EDT
[#13]
There is usually not a problem with the trust when moving as it is set up to be administered under the laws of the state under which it was created.  There is also no issue with the engraving on existing items as they're supposed to reflect where the item was actually made which is independent of the trust...  
View All Quotes

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 2:29:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Great thread! I have a trust with a can on it already. I want to make an
sbr. How do I add it to my existing trust? Do I just add it to the property list?
Do I do this before or after I submit my form 1?
Thanks
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:12:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: acman145acp] [#15]
Is their any issue with more than one trustee setting up and account and efiling ?

I've searched and read and searched some more and didn't see this covered sorry if i missed it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:18:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By acman145acp:
Is their any issue with more than one trustee setting up and account and efiling ?

I've searched and read and searched some more and didn't see this covered sorry if i missed it.
View Quote

Shouldn't be any issue.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:43:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By BigWaylon:

Shouldn't be any issue.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By acman145acp:

Shouldn't be any issue.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 8:51:34 PM EDT
[#18]
clicking the link and getting all the info but not seeing the form itself
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 8:37:19 PM EDT
[#19]
I recently set up a trust and have 4 items in jail. The process is much less intimidating than I though it was. So on to my question. I have 2 friends (brothers) moving to TX from CA in August. (I did this 2 years ago) Can they create a trust now and order silencers?

Here are a few more details. They are coming out to visit next month and can notarize a trust here in TX. They can also bring their small safe and leave it at my home. I would be willing to be a trustee. I could have access or no access to it. Not that they will receive anything by Aug. With this scenario is there any way they could start form 3 / form 4 100% legally before they move here?
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:29:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 10:56:00 AM EDT
[#21]
I have a revocable trust that I established in MD.  I moved to KY permanently and filed the papers with BATFE.  What must I do to purchase NFA firearms in KY?  Can I just use the same trust?  I think it might be just an addendum to the trust stating that it now operates in KY.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 11:04:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 11:45:54 PM EDT
[#23]
while traveling to the range or shooting at the range with my silencer, does a PDF of my trust and F4 saved on my phone suffice, or do I need a physical copy of them both with me? In Colorado
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 6:54:14 PM EDT
[#24]
If I already have a suppressor that I got through the "normal" method, can I create a trust, add it to the trust, and have friends as part of the trust so they can use it?
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 11:30:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AlabamaPaul] [#25]
Originally Posted By pathfinder74:
If I already have a suppressor that I got through the "normal" method, can I create a trust, add it to the trust, and have friends as part of the trust so they can use it?
View Quote
Sure, you can do that, but it will cost you $200 and a long wait to transfer it to the trust.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:40:17 AM EDT
[#26]
I got the impression that a trust allowed for quick easy changes?   Is that not the case?
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 12:10:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By elkoholic:
I got the impression that a trust allowed for quick easy changes?   Is that not the case?
View Quote

Once the item is property of the trust it easy to make amendments. But the trust has to own it first, which requires a transfer from one entity (here, it sounds like an individual) to the trust, which would require a $200 tax and approved Form 4. Despite the cost, the advantage to doing so would be the individual owner, provided they are the/a trustee to the trust, continually posesses the NFA item.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 3:30:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Has anyone heard anything about this and whether it's legit?

The ‘Single Shot Trust’ Takes Aim At Post 41F NFA Buying
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 8:39:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:38:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ENGCPT] [#30]
So what is to stop me from adding someone else to the trust and then removing myself and walking away with a couple hundred bucks?
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 5:06:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Does a trust have to have co-trustees initially?
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 6:46:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigWaylon] [#32]
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 8:25:46 PM EDT
[#33]

No. (Unless yours is specifically worded to require it)
View Quote
So if I want to have my name only on the trust initially for simplicity reasons, then once I have the NFA items in my possession, I can submit the proper forms to atf and add my wife to my trust as a co-trustee?
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 8:30:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 9:10:35 PM EDT
[#35]

There's nothing to submit to the ATF if you add her after the fact.

The only time they're involved is if you file again and she's still a trustee.
View Quote
So even though she'll have access to the NFA items, the only time a co-trustee will require a background check is if they are already identified as a co-trustee upon initial form 1 / 4 submission? Am I understanding that correctly?
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 9:56:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 10:01:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Awesome. Thanks for the info BigWaylon.
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 10:06:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 11:34:18 PM EDT
[#39]
I’ve got a trust I had made 8 years ago in PDF format. I want to remove trustees because of 41F.

Anyone modified the trust themselves successfully?  
Any tips?  
Under the trustees portion, do I just put “None”
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 9:06:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SC4eyes] [#40]
dupe
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 10:40:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SC4eyes] [#41]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By woodzusa:

Another dumb question. If I am the settlor and and trustee and have my wife as the successor trustee and beneficiary, then that is GTG?  Yes

Or do I need a co-trustee?  No

And I am right in assuming that I do not have to list any non NFA items on the amendment going in to the ATF? I would just list say the stripped lower I plan on using for an SBR?  The trust just needs to be funded in most cases.  Mine does not list specific items on the submission I send to the NFA...
As I understand it, I can do all the paperwork, prints, pictures, etc. to set up my trust. Send that to the ATF.

And after the trust is approved, e-file for a suppressor.

Link Posted: 8/9/2019 8:27:03 PM EDT
[#42]
I didn't read the many pages of posts so my apologies if this has been asked and answered.
Can I add my wife as a trustee after there are NFA weapons on here? Would I need to submit photos and finger prints for ever gun?
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 8:50:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 7:17:52 PM EDT
[#44]

If she’s a trustee when you submit...yes, photos and fingerprints are required. If she’s not, they aren’t.

No proactive sending of any paperwork at any other time when trustee changes are made.
View Quote
Thank you!
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 1:42:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Girthrockwel] [#45]
I have an NFA trust that I used to purchase a can with pre 41F. How big of a deal is it to remove two other people from the trust for ease of filing for other items?  If I decided to just get another trust put together for future purchases, is there an online solution that's safe and cheap or is it better to go through a local attorney?
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 7:20:42 AM EDT
[#46]

Yep. Only matters at the time of submission.  It's a grey area about adding them while awaiting approval, but none of their concern after approval.
View Quote
Doesn't that circumvent the whole point of 41f?
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 9:11:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BigWaylon] [#47]
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 1:35:51 PM EDT
[#48]

It’s playing by the rules we were given with 41F. It’s also why 41F isn’t as big of a pain (not saying I like it) as some would have you believe.
View Quote
Sounds like.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 4:54:00 PM EDT
[#49]
If Person A creates a trust in one state can they add another trustee living in a different state?
Are trusts only to exist in the state it was created in?
If person A dies can items in the trust go to the second trustee living in the other state? (the items are legal in both states).
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 6:21:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 5
Good NFA Trust FAQ Link (Page 4 of 5)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top