Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/9/2006 6:11:29 PM EDT
If someone were to put a 5.5" long suppressor on an 11.5" AR upper, what would it qualify as?
The length would be the legal 16", but it would be suppressed. Would it qualify as a suppressed SBR, or simply a suppressed rifle?  
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:15:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't get in specifics with ya in this area but from what I understand if its a detachable device such as a flash hider / supressor it does not count on OAL of the barrel therefor would be considered an SBR? Help me out here if im wrong or only partially correct, im always willing to learn as well.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:00:10 PM EDT
[#2]
The suppressor would have to be permanantly attached, just like the 5.5" flash suppressors.  Otherwise it's an SBR.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:34:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:28:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Two Form 4's are required in this case, one for the SBR, the other for the suppressor.  I doubt you'd want to permanently attach the suppressor, it would normally be removed from the rifle for cleaning, and it still won't alter the need to file two Form 4's... and the associated tax payment for both the SBR and suppressor.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:32:09 AM EDT
[#5]
i would not perm attatch a supressor to anything.

1. you would have to damn near destroy it when removing if it needed service
2. would probably be cheaper in the long run to just pay the two taxes.

form1 for sbr and build your own and have an sbr
form 4 the can and have a can that can mount on multiple guns
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:57:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Two Form 4's are required in this case, one for the SBR, the other for the suppressor.  I doubt you'd want to permanently attach the suppressor, it would normally be removed from the rifle for cleaning, and it still won't alter the need to file two Form 4's... and the associated tax payment for both the SBR and suppressor.

This is the info I was looking for. Thanks.

Not a trick question, either- I forgot to take into account the 1/2" of threading.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top