Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2006 9:23:43 PM EDT
Can someone give me the detailed exactly what has to be done when you get a sbr rifle from one sot dealer out if state? I know a bit but like to know more. I know that you send a copy of the sot to them they  the dealer has to do paper work to the atf before gun goes to my saot dealer,is it a good 30days-6 weeks Like i always hear now? The first sot has to sit on it to clear before sending to the other sot dealer right? Anything else? I take it you can't do form 4 til item is in dealer hands right? Thats my thinking anyway. just like to know for certain. i am going to be doing a trade for a sbr rifle to a out of state dealer. How things has speeded up lately with the atf I like to know hows things going now,plan on getting papers faxed so it be quicker. I hear its like 30 days on my end of it form3 to sbr is this right?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:14:19 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Can someone give me the detailed exactly what has to be done when you get a sbr rifle from one sot dealer out if state? I know a bit but like to know more. I know that you send a copy of the sot to them they  the dealer has to do paper work to the atf before gun goes to my saot dealer,is it a good 30days-6 weeks Like i always hear now? The first sot has to sit on it to clear before sending to the other sot dealer right? Anything else? I take it you can't do form 4 til item is in dealer hands right? Thats my thinking anyway. just like to know for certain. i am going to be doing a trade for a sbr rifle to a out of state dealer. How things has speeded up lately with the atf I like to know hows things going now,plan on getting papers faxed so it be quicker. I hear its like 30 days on my end of it form3 to sbr is this right?

Sounds about right, the dealer who has the sbr, out of state, must get the dealer SOT in your state, do the paperwork and if the dealer is set up to fax it, this can save time. To fax you must have signature and information on ATF file previous to faxing. The dealer out of state can only transfer the gun when the paperwork is in his hands, not before, not even sending a s/n in for the next transfer,which is on its way. When the dealer in your state has the gun, then he can send in the Form 4, or you can. Try to get your form 4 ready and as complete as possible, the day the gun arrives in your state you can send in the form 4.
Basically, dealer must have physical possesion of the gun. Form 3 has a limit of 30 days to transfer...dealer may have to call ATF if beyond 30 days, 90 day limit on form 4, both cases this is the soonest a dealer can call on the transfer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top