Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2006 9:17:08 AM EDT
I pretty much understand the whole sear concept but i have a few questions.  I was reading in the latest SAR that once you convert a lower group to accept a registered sear that even without the sear installed that gun would fire full auto whereas being considered a machine gun. So say i modify my 93 to accept a sear, then decide to put that sear in my 91 its my understanding of the article that my 93 is now an unregistered machine gun? Could i modify one trigger pack and use that same pack for all my guns, just switching the pack to the gun i want to shoot full auto, I would just buy an extra so i dont modify all my semi packs, are they interchangable like that? My last question is. The semi 21's that are on the market, could i use the sear to run one of them full auto? I know the sears are registered in 9mm,223,and 308, but in an earlier thread about sears it didnt mention the 21 as being a convertable gun. Thanks guys.  McM
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:30:13 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
...Could i modify one trigger pack and use that same pack for all my guns, just switching the pack to the gun i want to shoot full auto, I would just buy an extra so i dont modify all my semi packs, are they interchangable like that?... Thanks guys.  McM

The simple awswer is yes.
I have one sear, installed in one pack, that I move from a 91, to a 93, to a SP89.
You just need to change out the ejector (simple) for each gun.
If going from rifle to pistol caliber, or vice-versa, I change out the hammer spring (fairly simple).
Some people have said that their guns fire alright without the spring change.
YMMV

Doing it this way is a WHOLE LOT SIMPLER than moving the sear.
Regarding the 21's, probably, but not sure.
Mr. Osprey will be around shortly, and I'm sure he'll know.  

HKO

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:45:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Your sear pack will work in everything from an MP5k to the 21 with the proper trigger spring and ejector.

However... to use your sear pack in a semi 21 you will need to do the following:

1) The front edge of the sear trip will need to be squared off.
2) The trip lever must also be cut to clear the feed assy.
3) The front top left hand corner of the trigger pack has to be trimmed (slotted) to clear the ejector.

After doing these mod's the pack will still work in the other weapons as well with no ill effects.

HTH
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:37:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for clarifying that up. With an SP89, if i put a sear pack on one can i legally put on the K grip, or do i have to register the pistol to a SBR? Here in Michigan short barrel rifles are not allowed, but we have a new class three ruling comming into effect. Also say for some reason a sear breaks. or cracks can they be legally worked on, either by me or a class three gunsmith? Thanks for the information guys. McM
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:49:15 PM EDT
[#4]
McM,
Machine gun status trumps all other laws and rulings.  Once the sear is in the host you can put whatever you would like on the gun. Of course when the sear pack is removed, all the evil features must also be removed, ie; K-Grip, etc...

Over the many years I've been following HK conversions I've only heard of one sear breaking. But yes, sears can be fixed.  TIG welders is a wonderful thing!  

That's some really great news for you MI guys.  My friend 'Bust Off' is one of the two gentlemen who were instrumental in getting things changed(as they should be).

Click da Link

Have fun!!  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:25:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thanks for clarifying that up. With an SP89, if i put a sear pack on one can i legally put on the K grip, or do i have to register the pistol to a SBR?

Congrats on the MG ruling!

What Mr. Osprey said, the MG law takes over, once you put the sear in the firearm.

BUT, BE AWARE....
(and Mr. Osprey, please correct me if I'm wrong...)

There is a sequence of assembly/disassembly with the SP89 that must be followed.
Assembly: Remove stockplug. install sear/trigger pack, install stock, THEN install the vertical handgrip.
Disassembly: REMOVE VERTICAL HANDGRIP FIRST! Then proceed with stock/sear/trigger pack removal.

This is because without the sear installed, the SP89 is legally still a pistol.
Therefore, for example when disassembling, lets say you remove the stock, and then the sear/trigger pack. At that point you have in your hands a partially disassembled SP89 (reverts back legally to pistol status), with a vertical foregrip attached. This is now an unregistered Short Barrel Rifle.

This is bad, mmm'k?

Yeah, I know. This "state" can easily occur, and would last just long enough for you to pop the foregrip pin out, but be aware.

HKO

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:42:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Technically true about the order of assembly/disassembly.   You could, for a brief moment, have an illegal AOW or SBR unless you remove the K grip and the shoulder stock before you remove the sear.

I doubt anyone would call you on it though, as long as you took care of things quickly....  Like while you were moving the sear to another host while at a range...   You wouldn't want to transport it, or even let it sit there in a "bad" state while shooting another host.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top