Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2006 5:20:58 PM EDT
I have been thinking about getting a suppressor for my Savage 10FP .308, I have read that a can has real benefits to the shooter thru higher velocities, greatly reduced recoil and muzzle blast resulting in increased accuracy.  Do you find this to be true? Any other benefits?

Any input will be helpful and appreciated as this is a major purchase.

DD
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:02:45 AM EDT
[#1]
www.silencertests.com

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:22:49 PM EDT
[#2]
1. You'll pick up a little velocity (perhaps 50 FPS) due to freebore boost.
2. Recoil will be diminished somewhat.
3. Muzzle flash will be pretty much nonexistent.
4. Suppressors have been known to tighten shot groups. Point of impact may change between suppressed/unsuppressed though.
5. The largest benefit is the reduced sound pressure level.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:26:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:31:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I have about 2500 rounds through my savage 10fp in .308, barrel cut to 18" by AWC, and use an AWC thundertrap. I have found the gun is capable .25MOA accuracy at 200 yards, and is nowhere NEAR this accurate w/the can off. I shoot federal gold match .168grn, using my 3rd gen SA BDC reticle and have never had an issue.

My rifle is usually the talk of the range when I bring it out and is scary quiet with sub-sonic. I recommend EBR sub-sonic over TTI, because I have had too many squib rounds using TTI.

You will not regret using any of the following:
• SRT Shadow - the quietest I think going now?
• AAC Cyclone
• AWC Thundertrap
• Gemtech TPR-S  
• SoundTech BlackStar
• SWR Omega 30

If more people knew how easy it was to get a silencer, and how beneficial they were more people would have them, IMHO.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:53:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies

I am looking at the AAC Cyclone, the accuracy benefit due to the reduced recoil is my main reason for considering acquiring one.

But no I didn't overlook the COOL factor, it would complete the package very nicely.

DD

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:49:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Somthing else you may want to consider... is selling off the savage and buying a remington .223 bolt gun  to convert to .300 whisper. It's a helluva queit, low-recioling, accurate package.

I will be building mine and posting the progress w/pics very soon.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:51:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh... and the reciol is reduced to practially nothing on my choate stocked .308 with sub-sonic rounds and the can installed.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:52:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't forget JET cans. Lightweight.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:25:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Above all else.....suppressors make your face hurt!
(Way too much smiling!!)

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e231/OregonForester/10-22.jpg
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:52:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Oregon Forester I used to have a 10/22 it didn't make much noise as it was, I imagine all you hear with that sweet thang is the clack of the action.

There was a pic of a Beretta neos with a can on it here somewhere, I can't seem to find it again. If anyone knows where to find it please hook me up.

DD
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:58:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top