Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2017 3:45:50 PM EDT
Looking at getting a holster for a 1851 Navy clone for the range and bumming around the woods. I`ve pretty much settled on one of the Slim Jim style holsters from El Paso Saddlery.

I know that black powder leaves lots of fouling and suspect that this would get inside the holster from re-holstering my revolver after firing.

Would there be a chance that at some point I`d want/need to clean the inside of the holster?

If so, would lined or unlined be easier to clean?
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 10:05:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never had a problem with unlined.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 11:01:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Lined or unlined will still hold fouling. The bigger danger to the pistol's finish would be the leather itself. It will still have chemical residue from the tanning process that can effect the gun's finish. I don't store any of my handguns in leather, BP or smokeless.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 11:40:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got several holsters and other pouches from El Paso Saddlery over the years and their quality is excellent.  However, my Slim Jim holster for my 1851 Navy isn't from them and is unlined.  Never had a issue after shooting it and holstering.  Course most of my shooting is done in the backyard and kitchen sink is 25 yds away.

CD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top