Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2017 7:38:19 AM EDT
A very good friend of mine just purchased a rifle from a very old gentleman who told him it was a training musket from the Civil War. The seller told my friend that this musket has been in his family since the Civil War and he thinks it was brought home by a Great Grand Dad. I have not seen this musket.

It is a short Musket with a bayonet on it. He thinks the musket is English Made and does have the name "J. B. Mitchell" on the lock plate. The bayonet is marked "CS over LA". He only sent me two picture that I will post. I have asked him for more pictures of both sides of the entire musket and both sides of the entire bayonet. I will add them to this post when I get them.

Your opinions will Greatly Be Appreciated!

Dane

Link Posted: 7/9/2017 2:51:43 PM EDT
[#1]
A gun designed for the military would not have such decoration.  If used somehow in that war then probably somebody brought it from home to use or it was conscripted, that is, seized for military use.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 9:17:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Hard to say anything with just those few images.  

Recall that many gunsmiths salvaged parts from broken guns to build new guns.  I suspect this may be one such firearm.  

How about a full length shot.  Need a shot of the other side of the stock too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top