Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2017 11:25:13 AM EDT
  Alright ArfCom, Here is a challenge for anyone who wants to step out of the norm. This Challenge spans the length of the Worlds Early Firearm History. It will span from the original “firearm” the handgone, up to but not including the first generation Style cartridge firearms produced. This will be a test of both shooting skill but also your loading and handling skills. Here are the specifics.
Target: shooters choice

Ranges/ shooting-5yrds standing unsupported for handgones, 10yrds standing unsupported for all Pistols, 50yrds standing unsupported for all single shot smooth-bore longarms and rifled long arms.

(Side note 1, I recognize that different ranges have different rules. So all pistol shooting will start not from a holster, but with the pistol laying on the bench in front of you pointed down range. If you have the ability to shoot from a holster, go for it. However, you will be scored the samelong arms will start, but stock at hip level, pointed down range
(Side note 2, all single shot firearms start he course of fire loaded. I'm sure that's pretty obvious, but I did not remember to add it to the rules so here it is.)

Handgone Class:This is class is for the very first firearms to be used. This class is limited to Handgone’s only. The course of Fire will be 5 shots at 5 yards on the clock. 

Pistol Class-Singleshot: This class is for all Traditional single shot pistols. Yes I realize thatthere are many ignition systems that provide different advantages and disadvantages. If there is enough interest I will break it up into pre and post percussion lock pistols. The course of fire will be 5 shots off hand at 10 yards on the 
clock. 

Pistol class-Muzzleloading revolver- This class is for percussion revolvers of all shapes andsizes. No cartridge revolvers or cartridge conversions allowed in this class. The course of fire will be 2 times the total number of shots your particular revolver is capable of at 10 yards on the clock. You may choose to leave an empty chamber or you may load full on the first cylinder, but the second cylinder should be a full load. 

Single shot Smooth-bore and Rifled Long Arms: this class is dedicated to all pre-metallic cartridgelong arms encompassing a time period up to the end of the US Civil War. These long 
arms, while dominantly muzzle loaded, may be breech loaded if it is period correct. The shooting scores will be separated by barrel type (smooth bore vs rifles. They will not be competing against each other). The course of fire will be 5 shots at 50 yards on the clock. 

Scoring: All scoring will be a composite score that will combine youraccuracy and your total time. While video's are encouraged, they are optional. However, you will need to post the following photos: 

1)Your chosen weapon 
2)Your chosen unshot target 
3)your target from your shooting position 
4)your shot target (only one take per target please. If youhave extra bullet holes on the primary target it will not be counted) with a 
ruler measuring your group size 
5)your shot target with a ruler measuring from the center ofyour group to your point of aim. 
6) pictures of your stopwatch/shottimer after completion

Calculation of Score
You will multiply your group size, by your distance frompoint of aim. This number will be multiplied by your time measured in seconds. The Lower the Score the better. 

Example1: Group size: 6in, distance from point of aim: 3in, timeto complete: 200 seconds 
Composite score:3,600 

Example2: group size 10in, distance from point of aim: 5in, time to complete: 150 seconds 
composite Score: 7,500 

Example3: group size 2in, distance from point of aim: 3in, time to complete: 500 seconds 
composite Score: 3,000 

LeaderBoards

Handgone
1) 7770-TerryC: 50cal handgonne
2) 
3) 
4) 
5) 

Single Shot Pistol
1) 
2) 
3) 
4) 
5) 

Muzzle Loading Revolver
1) Diesel_Maximus_2992: Remington 1858- 1066.4
2) 
3) 
4) 
5) 

Single Shot Long arm
1) 
2) 
3) 
4) 
5) 
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 2:21:24 PM EDT
[#1]
This sounds like fun.
I've got a 1851 navy I need to fix and a 50 cal flintlock I haven't even shot yet.
Guess i should get off my ass and get to the range.

How does the timing work? photos of stop watch before and after group or something?
Or are we just to self score and post our score with some pics?
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 3:09:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This sounds like fun.
I've got a 1851 navy I need to fix and a 50 cal flintlock I haven't even shot yet.
Guess i should get off my ass and get to the range.

How does the timing work? photos of stop watch before and after group or something?
Or are we just to self score and post our score with some pics?
View Quote
You can self score, just post the timer data with the pics (nice idea, thanks) and your final answer. We won't be to hard on anyone for math errors, I have enough trouble with that myself.

As for timing, most phones have a shot clock app, if you can't get that to work, a stopwatch or normal timer is just fine. Considering these times are going to be much longer than modern arms 1-2seconds here or there shouldn't be to much of an issue. This is just for fun and bragging rights anyway. 

You did did remind me of something I forgot and will add in the OP. All single shot weapons do not need to have the timer start with them empty. Pretty obvious, but I'll put it in text anyway

edit: I have an almost identical thread in GD with the edition of early "old west" cartridge categories for people who want to participate but don't have a traditional muzzle loader. 
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 10:47:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't think I want to shoot a handgone.  I need my hands!
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 1:22:33 AM EDT
[#4]
My cartridge runs; not even worth posting, yet.  

here is my Muzzle Loading Revolver Class entry; Course of fire was done one hand, unsupported (accept for reload)

The weapon- 

The Target- 

Ten yards- 

Finished Target/ ruler Photo's: 

Timer (run by my pops)- 

group size- 5.25 
Goup Distance from Poa- 3.25 
Time in seconds- 62.5 

Score:1066.4
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 9:58:52 PM EDT
[#5]
my 1851 still isnt working right but i'll give it a shot with my flintlock next time im out at the range.
Cant promise anything spectacular though, im still learning to overcome the flinch
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 8:51:08 AM EDT
[#6]
My handgonne entry . . .

I wish I could say I killed it, but not really. I kinda sucked at gonning, as will be seen.

This begins yesterday. I set up and took two practice shots, and the ignitor on my butane torch failed. Wind was pretty stiff, the little butane lighter I had for backup was not going to work.
Packed it in, went back today. This time I brought my linstock that I use with my cannons and mortars. Once the slowmatch is lit, it would remain lit in spite of the wind and would easily light the fuse.
The only way to put it out without dunking it in water is to snip the burning end off.

The gonne is .50 caliber. Shot with patched .490 round balls over 50 grains of FFg ignited by about 2" (roughly, cut'em as I went) pieces of visco fuse.

The target I would use was 14" x 18", even so shot 3 hit about 2" below the bottom edge, into the foam backboard.
There was something "off" about that shot. It didn't sound or feel right, and I did brush out some unburned powder afterward.
But it was a shot so it counts as a miss.

Something else odd happened on shot 5 (upper left hit), looks like something hit the paper to the right of shot 4 with enough force to tear it. The foam board behind it was not hurt.
There is also a stain there, only thing I can think of is the greased patch, but at 5 yards I wouldn't think it would have enough energy to tear the paper.
I have the target still taped to the backboard out in the truck, I'll study it more when I have time.

The stand is 5 yards from the chair back. The chair does double duty as a firing line and it held the linstock upright so my hands are free. There's enough of the lit match hanging out to use it as a fuse lighter.

I measured 7-1/2" extreme spread on the 4 shots that scored. Estimated the center of group about 4" from POA. You can look at the pic and adjust if necessary.
The miss was 11-1/4" low, I am not including it in my measurements. Off the paper.
Time was 4 minutes 19 seconds. I started the timer before I started loading the 1st shot and stopped it after the 5th was fired.

Things I took away . . .

Shit happens. When it happens you pack it in and try again later.

I should have started the shoot with a clean bore. I took several test shots before setting up for the shoot.
The third shot that didn't go just right was actually about the 8th shot for the day. Even running a brush down the bore between every shot (slowed me down but I might not have finished if I hadn't), the gonne was getting pretty hard to load and this was affecting it and me. Accuracy went out the window, only shot 1 & 2 really hit close to POA. I'm lucky I only threw the one shot off the paper.

I may try again and see if I can better my score.

Link Posted: 5/8/2017 6:24:12 PM EDT
[#7]
@Diesel_Maximus_2992

A question: I see a section on the leaderboard for "Cartridge Revolver" but no mention of it in the rules (yeah, *now* I read rules ).
Was this included by accident or is it a legit category.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:30:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@Diesel_Maximus_2992

A question: I see a section on the leaderboard for "Cartridge Revolver" but no mention of it in the rules (yeah, *now* I read rules ).
Was this included by accident or is it a legit category.
View Quote
its in the general discussions thread.I left those classes out because the class was not exclusive to black powder firearms. same for repeating long arms... Those two classes were to grab people that had lever guns or single action revolvers that either did not have the ability or did not want to shoot black powder in them. I wanted to give people a couple of classes as wide as i could so they could participate without sacrificing the heritage part of challenge. 

I missed the leader board part in my edit. Thanks, and sorry for the confusion. i goofed on that one. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top