Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2017 1:10:38 PM EDT
Wanting to build something other than ARs. Coming from West Virginia, I have always had a fascination with the musket the WVU Mountaineer carries, which I believe by looking at pictures to be a build off a traditional Pennsylvania rifle. I am really wanting to build my own and have looked at several different websites but have no clue where to focus on. Any help, insight, or suggestions would be great!

Here is a video on Marvin Wotring who has been making the Mountaineer's Rifle.

Now, I am not looking to start from a block of wood like him, but would like to do the assembling, finishing, etc..

Pics for reference...

Link Posted: 1/13/2017 3:10:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Dixie Gun Works:  http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=5909
has a Pedersoli Pennsylvania Rifle Kit - .45 Cal. Flint for $650.    Kit has barrel blued to prevent rust (not finished). Skill level 1 - Beginners : Stock is 95% inletted. Will require final fitting of metal parts, final sanding & finish. May require some holes to be drilled. Metal may require some minor polishing. May require bluing or browning.

DGW is the Go shop for Black Powder supplies.  Buy their 2017 catalog for $5.00.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 8:34:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dixie Gun Works:  http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=5909
has a Pedersoli Pennsylvania Rifle Kit - .45 Cal. Flint for $650.    Kit has barrel blued to prevent rust (not finished). Skill level 1 - Beginners : Stock is 95% inletted. Will require final fitting of metal parts, final sanding & finish. May require some holes to be drilled. Metal may require some minor polishing. May require bluing or browning.

DGW is the Go shop for Black Powder supplies.  Buy their 2017 catalog for $5.00.
View Quote

Thanks for the reply!
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 8:55:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Anyone have any experience with trackofthewolf? I am liking the fact I can get a kit with a fancy maple stock..
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 3:12:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Track of the wolf was going to by my 2 cents to the thread, actually. They're a great place to deal with nowadays. I had an issue with them shipping slow 20+ years go, but that was a quirk or has been resolved. If Track doesn't have it, chances are it's not available outside custom shops, or not available at all. They're also rather more knowledgeable than Dixie, which is also a good place.

Cpt. Redleg
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 3:55:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Just posted a thread a while back about finishing my Kiblerslongrifles.com kit.  Might be an option for you.

Doc
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 5:05:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Anyone have any experience with trackofthewolf? I am liking the fact I can get a kit with a fancy maple stock..
View Quote

Look on YouTube. You will follow d that these guns take some skilll to build. You can easily turn 1000$ in parts into 300$ gun.

You will cut the dovetails for the barrel lugs and sights. You will sand, shape and inlet the stock, the barrel, lock, etc. the tang and breech will need to be fitted and timed as well as bent to the stock profile, all the metal will need a lot of fitting and final finish. The barrel will need the touch hole drilled and tapped for the liner.  It will also need draw files and finished. You will need to drill and tap the lock as well as the tang and trigger assembly.

From what I have found it takes several hundred hours to finish a ToTW kit.

Better to start with a Lyman or Pedersoli kit.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 11:25:32 AM EDT
[#7]
TVM TENNESSEE  Valley Muzzeloaders has some really nice rifles and kits available. I am looking at them myself. I have read pages of reviews on them, and pretty much not one bad word.
Check them out 
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 11:01:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
TVM TENNESSEE  Valley Muzzeloaders has some really nice rifles and kits available. I am looking at them myself. I have read pages of reviews on them, and pretty much not one bad word.
Check them out 
View Quote
This!!^^

Resurrection of an old thread to show off a TVM Late Lancaster rifle. Should be in my hands Friday.  Ordered it last January. Well worth the wait but I would like to build one but I don't have the tools or the skill, let alone the patience.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:39:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Track of the Wolf is fantastic
They are my go to for black powder stuff, super knowledgeable staff too.
I was just up at their shop a few days ago to pick up powder and some other stuff.

As others have mentioned, their kits do take a bit more skill.
stocks are pre-inlet but will require finish inletting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top