Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/25/2005 8:41:55 PM EDT
Is there anybody that makes a cartridge conversion for the Navy Arms LeMat revolver? I think it would a gas to have 9rds. of .44 spl. coming out of this weapon.
                                                     Thanks,
                                                         Ken
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:43:23 AM EDT
[#1]
None that I've ever heard of. Plus, groove to groove on the bore is .452 which would probably rule out .44 special.

Cpt. Redleg
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:58:28 PM EDT
[#2]
True, do you think it could be done with some kind of .45 be it lc or otherwise? I know that the whole thing would need be taken apart the load. I just want to look in to all options before selling that part of my collection. If it can be made to fire metalic cartridges then I may keep it.
Blessings,
Ken
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:14:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, I'm sure in theory it could  be done, but it would be an awful lot of effort. The back of the cylinder would have to be milled down of course, plus some way to retain the rounds in the chambers would be in order, and the device to do that might then also require the frame itself be somehow modified. Of course, you'd need to find a machinist willing to do this which might not be easy and almost certainly would not be cheap. Depending on where you mounted the firing pin you might also lose shotgun capability if the pin were mounted on the hammer itself. If it were mounted in the cartridge retainer then that might not be an issue, but then I don't know if Krist may well have some sort of patent on such a device which would mean you'd run the risk of a lawsuit if they found out you copied it.

For caliber, I'd be more inclined to go with .45 Schofield. Smaller OAL, meaning lighter load capacity, which is good if the cylinder walls on the LeMat are as thin as I think I remember them being. Still uses the same diameter bullets as .45 LC.

If you're thinking of selling the thing let me know. I might be interested in another one. Shouldn't have sold my first one. All the neat toys always turn up AFTER Christmas!

Cpt. Redleg
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top