Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/11/2005 10:17:18 AM EDT
Hi, folks.

I think I am going to invest in an in-line muzzleloader, and I'm either going to buy a 209x50 barrel for my Encore or get an Omega.  Anyone have any thoughts on which route I should take?  Money is a concern, but not foremost.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 2:19:16 PM EDT
[#1]
The Encore barrel is awesome and would be a bit less than the Omega since you already have the Encore frame.  I LOVE my Encore 50 but because all I use it for is muzzleloading I probably would have gone with an Omega because it is simpler, more rigid and less expensive.  They probably shoot about the same.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 3:10:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Myself and two of my hunting crew went with the T/C Encore 209X50. I have had good luck with mine as have both my frinds that have them. Both of them went with the blue/wood model and I opted for the stainless/syn model. With 100grs of Pyrodex, Federal 209 primer, and a Hornady 240gr XTP sabot  they will shoot under 1.5 inches. We have also found that by adding a third pellet of Pyrodex (150grs total) they will shoot just under four inches low at 200 yards. Now we were shooting off a bench with sand bags and have Leupold VX-III 2.5X8 power scopes mounted up top, but the Encores shoot very well.....JMTCW.  Trapfan
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:17:37 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Myself and two of my hunting crew went with the T/C Encore 209X50. I have had good luck with mine as have both my frinds that have them. Both of them went with the blue/wood model and I opted for the stainless/syn model. With 100grs of Pyrodex, Federal 209 primer, and a Hornady 240gr XTP sabot  they will shoot under 1.5 inches. We have also found that by adding a third pellet of Pyrodex (150grs total) they will shoot just under four inches low at 200 yards. Now we were shooting off a bench with sand bags and have Leupold VX-III 2.5X8 power scopes mounted up top, but the Encores shoot very well.....JMTCW.  Trapfan

Thanks, guys.  That's pretty impressive, Trapfan.  That trajectory amazes me.  I was thinking about going with the 250-grain SST-ML speed sabot, but I have not gotten to playing with ammunition yet.  I was also leaning Encore, because I thought it must be easier to clean given you can completely remove the barrel.  But that might not make a difference.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:23:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the Encore in .50cal and .308.  Go with the Encore.  You will not be disappointed.  Make sure you get high quality scope rings though, the extra cost will be worth the headache avoidance.

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 12:14:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks, guys.  That's pretty impressive, Trapfan.  That trajectory amazes me.  I was thinking about going with the 250-grain SST-ML speed sabot, but I have not gotten to playing with ammunition yet.  I was also leaning Encore, because I thought it must be easier to clean given you can completely remove the barrel.  But that might not make a difference.

Being able to take the barrel off really isn't an issue for cleaning as you can pull the breach plug on either and clean straight through.  On the Encore if you take off the extractor or use the fold away extractor you just break it open, unscrew the breach plug and clean away.  

Thanks again.

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:53:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the input, folks.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:23:40 AM EDT
[#7]
+1 for the Encore.  I have an Omega and it is an excellent rifle, but if you already have an Encore frame I'd just buy the barrel.  As far as performance, ease of use or ease of cleaning, they will be just about the same.  

Once you get it though, I would definately spend the time working up a load.  Try a range of bullets and find which groups best with your barrel.  I have read that Thompson barrels tend to like the 200 grain T/C "Shockwave" bullets and the 295 grain Powerbelt bullets the most (both with 100 grains of Pyrodex).  I personally have had very good luck with the Powerbelts.  The only way to be sure though is to put your time in shooting and testing.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:37:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I have an Omega and really like it. I've shot three deer with it.  

I've found it gets decent accuracy with just about every sabot and bullet combo I've tried.  You just need to tweak the powder level a bit. Some loads do better than others but all were good enough for M/L ranges.  

Conicals are a different story. The three I've tried do 6" or worse at 50 yds off a sandbag with a 6x scope.

Since you have an Encore I think that makes more sense for you.

Be sure to get a stainless steel barrel.  BP and the substitutes are all corrosive. SS will give you some extra time before you need to clean.  FWIW SS is not perfect, it will corrode a bit.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:52:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I am close to putting down the money on the Encore barrel.  I have been a little hesitant, as the costs seem to keep adding up:  stock set, the replacement extractor, etc.  I tallied it up and balked before I submitted my order.  I'm definitely sold on the Encore, and I was playing with one at the gunshop.  We'll see if I can suck it up and put down the cash.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:57:09 PM EDT
[#10]
If you've already got an Encore, the 50x209 barrel is the way to go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top