BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 4:47:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Qweevox:

Things move slow in the none GD sub forums, this is an old post now, but damn that's a beautiful rifle.  
View Quote
Shoots sweet as well.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 5:19:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Slo Mo video of me shooting my (2nd Model) Brown Bess musket:

Link Posted: 2/16/2019 7:49:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: firedog51d] [#3]
Originally Posted By GunCat:
Slo Mo video of me shooting my (2nd Model) Brown Bess musket:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnMXp5ZEfYs
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 11:53:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Qweevox] [#4]
Originally Posted By GIJoe:

Shoots sweet as well.
View Quote
@GIJoe

It's truly a magnificent rifle.  Is this article about you and the rifle?

https://wrightsmanflintlocks.wordpress.com/2017/12/23/ferguson-flintlock-rifle/#more-216

Did you do a thread about it somewhere?  If so I'd like to read it.

Edit to add:  The Rifle Shoppe has a parts kit for $1695 or $1795 Who made the stock for you?  Did you have the engravings done, or did the parts come engraved?  Why didn't this design take off?  I mean it was way ahead of it's time, and appears more advanced than many offerings from the mid-19th century.

Damn, I really want one.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 9:28:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GIJoe] [#5]

@GIJoe

It's truly a magnificent rifle.  Is this article about you and the rifle?

https://wrightsmanflintlocks.wordpress.com/2017/12/23/ferguson-flintlock-rifle/#more-216

Did you do a thread about it somewhere?  If so I'd like to read it.

Edit to add:  The Rifle Shoppe has a parts kit for $1695 or $1795 Who made the stock for you?  Did you have the engravings done, or did the parts come engraved?  Why didn't this design take off?  I mean it was way ahead of it's time, and appears more advanced than many offerings from the mid-19th century.

Damn, I really want one.
View Quote
Yes!  That's my gun.  No thread.  Maybe I should have.  The RS kits come with the roughed out stock.  It's shaped and the lock area and barrel channels cut.  Basic castings for the bit parts.  There are some stampings on the lock, but the rest are Josh's work with my "vision".  I passed pictures i had found, in particular the works of version built by Ders Egg.  He penciled them up and sent them to me before he started.

Many reasons of how the design died as it did.  Extremely expensive to make at the time, Old School tactics, etc.  Good thing the Brits didn't realize what they had!

Here are some pics of the parts as they come from TRS:

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 10:47:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Qweevox] [#6]

Yes!  That's my gun.  No thread.  Maybe I should have.  The RS kits come with the roughed out stock.  It's shaped and the lock area and barrel channels cut.  Basic castings for the bit parts.  There are some stampings on the lock, but the rest are Josh's work with my "vision".  I passed pictures i had found, in particular the works of version built by Ders Egg.  He penciled them up and sent them to me before he started.

Many reasons of how the design died as it did.  Extremely expensive to make at the time, Old School tactics, etc.  Good thing the Brits didn't realize what they had!

Here are some pics of the parts as they come from TRS:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/19077/20160429_210905_jpg-850416.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/19077/20160429_210947_jpg-850417.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/19077/20160429_211004_jpg-850418.JPG https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/19077/20170304_141510resize_jpg-850424.JPG
View Quote
Yeah, you needed to do a thread on that rifle.  It'd make for great discussion.  But it's pretty cool that there is an article on the build. The builder did an great job on the stained wood.  The wood and metal compliment each other so well.  I love the engraving work, it really makes the rifle.  I bet the cost of that total project was fairly impressive.  At least the rifle looks like it would have an impressive price.

I really want one, do you mind giving me a ballpark idea of how much a project like that would cost?
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 11:13:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Yeah, you needed to do a thread on that rifle.  It make for great discussion.  But it's a good thing that there is an article on the build. The builder did an great job on the stained wood and metal compliment each other so well.  I love the engraving work, that really makes it.  I bet the cost of that total project was fairly impressive.  At least the rifle looks like it would have an exclusive price.

I'm really want one, do you mind giving me a ballpark idea of how much a project like that would cost?
View Quote
It is the most expensive rifle I own. for sure.  Knocking on 3K if my calculations are right.  That includes shipping the parts to him and shipping the finished rifle back in a crate.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 7:56:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Qweevox] [#8]

It is the most expensive rifle I own. for sure.  Knocking on 3K if my calculations are right.  That includes shipping the parts to him and shipping the finished rifle back in a crate.
View Quote
It looks every bit of that, and more.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 4:08:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#9]
Have a look at this shit and tell me it's not the best.

(Modern U.S. Bicentennial Society copy of The George Washington Flintlock Pistols, .54 cal., 8" brass barrels. These are hand crafted replicas of the pistols owned by George Washington (originals currently housed in the Museum at the West Point Military Academy). Made in 1976.

George Washington's Flintlock Replicas by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 5:16:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By SoloDallas:
Have a look at this shit and tell me it's not the best.

(Modern U.S. Bicentennial Society copy of The George Washington Flintlock Pistols, .54 cal., 8" brass barrels. These are hand crafted replicas of the pistols owned by George Washington (originals currently housed in the Museum at the West Point Military Academy). Made in 1976.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7867/47179086682_34cd9c249b_h.jpg
George Washington's Flintlock Replicas by SoloDallas, on Flickr
View Quote
Those are beautiful.

I was looking through IMA's site and found a pair of O/U pistols that I just fell in love with.  If I could find a source to make repros I would just to have them.

Link Posted: 2/27/2019 5:17:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By JAD762:

Those are beautiful.

I was looking through IMA's site and found a pair of O/U pistols that I just fell in love with.  If I could find a source to make repros I would just to have them.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1524/1342/products/on2445w__1_large.jpg?v=1505380932
View Quote
Seen those, share your same sentiment! Elegance, beauty.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 11:36:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pukindog] [#12]
This is my 4th 1858 replica and first one with a brass frame. I posted it back on page 7 of this thread but after shooting it the past two weekends I tried out some brass polish after cleaning it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 9:12:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By pukindog:
This is my 4th 1858 replica and first one with a brass frame. I posted it back on page 7 of this thread but after shooting it the past two weekends I tried out some brass polish after cleaning it.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/116588/18584-033119B_jpg-897402.JPG
View Quote
I know the brass frame on that gun isn't historically accurate, but it does look nice.  Having a full frame I would imagine it'd hold up better than open top brass framed revolver.  Have you noticed any stretch to it?
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 9:24:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Qweevox] [#14]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yeah, you needed to do a thread on that rifle.  It make for great discussion.  But it's a good thing that there is an article on the build. The builder did an great job on the stained wood and metal compliment each other so well.  I love the engraving work, that really makes it.  I bet the cost of that total project was fairly impressive.  At least the rifle looks like it would have an exclusive price.

I'm really want one, do you mind giving me a ballpark idea of how much a project like that would cost?
@GIJoe

I came across this one that sold at auction for over $3163.  In my opinion it's not as nice as yours. I like especially like the finish of your stock.

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/1030/1158/ferguson-breech-loading-flintlock-rifle

In any case, I thought you might find that interesting.

I also thought this video was pretty cool.

Almost Revolutionary: Patrick Ferguson's Breechloading Rifle
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 8:09:52 AM EDT
[#15]

I know the brass frame on that gun isn't historically accurate, but it does look nice.  Having a full frame I would imagine it'd hold up better than open top brass framed revolver.  Have you noticed any stretch to it?
View Quote
No but I haven't had it for very long and only got out to shoot it the past two weekends due to the weather. It was used when I bought it and it does seem to be in fine functioning shape.
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 10:34:05 PM EDT
[#16]
why ruger stopped making these i will never know. would love to own one someday.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 10:20:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 7:11:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By FrozenWinter:
Not a muzzle loader, but definitely black powder.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/199178/IMG_20190101_155007_929-793820.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/199178/martinihenry-491903.jpg
1875 mfg Mk II Martini Henry in 577/450
Enfield mfg and sold to Nepal in 1895

One of my 577/450 hand loads for it. Cases are cut down and formed 24ga brass shotshells.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/199178/20181104_193359-731351.jpg

And here's a video of me shooting it last winter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a44zB_b2UfQ
Please excuse the poor camera work, it was about -5 out and my frozen fingers had enough trouble just loading the gun, let alone getting my cell phone into landscape mode
View Quote
That video gave me vertigo!

J/K.....I need to post up pics of my MH.  Mine is a 1879 mkIII send to Canada.  They are fun to shoot but off the bench in a t shirt is one of my less smart moments.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 7:28:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 6:41:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Ive only had mine out 4 or 5 times so far.
Took me awhile to get enough brass made up for it.
I'd hate to think how many 24ga brass shot shells ive bunged up among the way
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By firedog51d:
That video gave me vertigo!

J/K.....I need to post up pics of my MH.  Mine is a 1879 mkIII send to Canada.  They are fun to shoot but off the bench in a t shirt is one of my less smart moments.
Ive only had mine out 4 or 5 times so far.
Took me awhile to get enough brass made up for it.
I'd hate to think how many 24ga brass shot shells ive bunged up among the way
LOL....I cheated and bought some loaded ammo and preformed brass.  I also picked up a mold for it.  As expensive as anything .577-450 is, I figured a mold would be a good investment.  I've never cast anything before.....or reloaded.  $5 a round has motivated me to try.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 6:53:10 AM EDT
[#21]
@FrozenWinter

BTW, are you familiar with Rob..aka Britishmuzzleloaders on you tube?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiT6Bzz2SPs&list=PLkOVIw4NSWVLjm7lyFTgxk1ePSIF9QO3Y

I really like his channel.  Although, it looks like his first video on reloading for the MH has been deleted.

Somewhere I have a link for reloading the carbine loads....lighter and cheaper load.  I will dig it out and post it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 9:18:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 9:18:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FrozenWinter] [#23]
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 9:23:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 6:58:42 PM EDT
[#25]
I got a bit of a hook up on 20 rnd from teh guy I got the MH from.  Still not cheap but better than retail.

IIRC the mold is from X-ring.  I will check it and let you know.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 11:57:38 PM EDT
[#26]
hickok45 just released a M-H video

CD
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 4:28:18 PM EDT
[#27]
I just received this yesterday afternoon - the snub-nosed Colt 1860 on the bottom. I have had the full-sized version for about 7 years.
From what little research I have done this is not an historically accurate replica and no such gun was ever made by the factory, but instead it is sort of a tribute to the cut-down versions people made for themselves in the 1870s. Of course they lost the front sight in doing that, but it was essentially a gut gun meant for close-up, can't miss work. Looking forward to shooting it this weekend if the weather doesn't stop me.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 11:12:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WildBoar] [#28]
Finally, I can play too. You all have some sweet stuff. Hoping to catch up to some of you.
anyway. My new baby. Spent more than I originaly planned on, but I wanted not only a real one, but one I could shoot.

Link Posted: 9/16/2019 7:44:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 9:22:04 AM EDT
[#30]

Beautiful rifle!
Have you shot it yet?
View Quote
Not yet. Just got back from vacation and it was waiting for me. I literally thought of that friggin rifle everyday I was on vacation lol.
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 9:23:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WildBoar] [#31]
Dbl post
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 10:00:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WildBoar] [#32]
Triple tap.post. sorry
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 11:29:02 AM EDT
[#33]
@WildBoar

If you don't mind,  about what did that run you?
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 3:57:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WildBoar] [#34]
Originally Posted By firedog51d:
@WildBoar

If you don't mind,  about what did that run you?
View Quote
Actually not as much as I expected.  $1400. While the gun is 100% 1864 manufactured (from what it appears so far), the lock and barrel are different manufacturers hence the price savings.

The lock is made in Windsor Locks, Ct by WM Muir & Co. (they made 30,000 for the Army) but the barrel is actually made Savage Revolving Arms Co.(not related to Savage Arms) and surcharged to New Jersey for militia use during the war so the barrel probably never saw combat hence why the bore is so nice. The eagle proof is hard to read (these denote mfr as each used its own variation of an Eagle head). The Eagle head on mine is partly rubbed off but looks to be either a Norwich or Savage (they are really close wit Savage having a pupil in the eye of the Eagle). Since Savage was only one of 3 manufactures to arm NJ, I am putting my money on Savage due to the Eagle stamp and the NJ on the side of the barrel. Muir and Co never made rifles for New Jersey, only Colt, Savage and Trenton so the Muir lock or barrel was swapped during ts career. Possibly the stock as well as the cartouches are worn off.

Good news for me though as I located an 1864 dated Savage Revolving Arms Co lock plate to put on there to make it more correct and later try and find a good condition Muir barrel. Though I have seen a few Muir locked rifles with Savage barrels (just not NJ marked)

I could have gotten a more correct piece ie Norwich, lock, Norwich barrel and stock but that was a bit crustier than I wanted. Or even a Bridesburg but  I do not mind the parts mix as I just wanted a good condition shooter from that era. If it were barreled without the NJ and had a Muir EAgle, it would go for quite a bit more I am sure.
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 9:15:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By WildBoar:

Actually not as much as I expected.  $1400. While the gun is 100% 1864 manufactured (from what it appears so far), the lock and barrel are different manufacturers hence the price savings.

The lock is made in Windsor Locks, Ct by WM Muir & Co. (they made 30,000 for the Army) but the barrel is actually made Savage Revolving Arms Co.(not related to Savage Arms) and surcharged to New Jersey for militia use during the war so the barrel probably never saw combat hence why the bore is so nice. The eagle proof is hard to read (these denote mfr as each used its own variation of an Eagle head). The Eagle head on mine is partly rubbed off but looks to be either a Norwich or Savage (they are really close wit Savage having a pupil in the eye of the Eagle). Since Savage was only one of 3 manufactures to arm NJ, I am putting my money on Savage due to the Eagle stamp and the NJ on the side of the barrel. Muir and Co never made rifles for New Jersey, only Colt, Savage and Trenton so the Muir lock or barrel was swapped during ts career. Possibly the stock as well as the cartouches are worn off.

Good news for me though as I located an 1864 dated Savage Revolving Arms Co lock plate to put on there to make it more correct and later try and find a good condition Muir barrel. Though I have seen a few Muir locked rifles with Savage barrels (just not NJ marked)

I could have gotten a more correct piece ie Norwich, lock, Norwich barrel and stock but that was a bit crustier than I wanted. Or even a Bridesburg but  I do not mind the parts mix as I just wanted a good condition shooter from that era. If it were barreled without the NJ and had a Muir EAgle, it would go for quite a bit more I am sure.
View Quote
Thanks for that info.  I've been toying with selling my Birmingham built Parker Hale and putting the $$ a shootable original or mostly original.    I see originals or originals that were re-barreled on the N-SSA forums often.  That ticks off a couple of boxes for me.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 9:56:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WildBoar] [#36]
Not a full gun but it is part of a black powder gun that is going on my musket to have a more complete piece
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 3:34:55 AM EDT
[#37]
My new baby, holster made by an ARFCOM member.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 1:55:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WildBoar] [#38]
Sweet. Both holster and pistol. I have to stop watching this thread as it adds to my want list and I have shitty willpower
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 10:44:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WildBoar] [#39]
5th Model Burnside Carbine made in 1864  I will try to get bore pics but its damn near perfect in the bore.

Link Posted: 11/6/2019 8:09:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Experimenting with different charge weights of Olde Eynsford to improve accuracy.

Link Posted: 12/12/2019 10:43:10 AM EDT
[#41]
All of my black powder revolvers in one place. I may buy another at some point if I come across something I do not already have.
Friends who have shot them are mostly like "meh.." especially after they witness the loading process, but for some strange reason I do enjoy shooting them.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 7:25:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Added a revolver the other day since it was one of the few at Cabelas's I did not already have - a Pietta Pepper Box.  Essentially the same as the 1851 above it except with an extended cylinder. it fires directly from the chambers in the cylinder.  I have not figured out yet what I will use to load it since it does not have a loading lever and unike the short 1860 in my post above it did not come with a tool.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 11:06:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 12:50:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pukindog] [#44]

If nothing else maybe pick up a short starter
That might do it.

Otherwise, something like this would do the trick.
http://www.curtrich.com/zBaylor14_0216loading640.jpg
View Quote
I do have a .50 caliber starter but of course it is too big to even get it started. I haven't seen one anywhere in .36 caliber.

So here is what I ended up doing: I found a long plastic (possibly Delrin) screw that is designed to hold a commode seat on, then used a Dremel Tool and knife to remove the threads and put a somewhat concave face in it. I then used it with a rubber mallet and it seems to have worked fine.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Unfortunately it is raining again today as it has done since I got this, so no range trip until at least next weekend.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 8:24:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Not mine, but I get to shoot them a lot. Gun with the flash visible is a 5 ounce BP charge and the other one is 8 ounces. They are both 3 inch ordinance guns (rifled). The one with the flash is an original 1861 made gun that has been partially bored out for conversion to a breach-loaded gun (which thankfully never happened). The reason we used a smaller charge was because we were having problems that weekend getting the 8-ounce charges over the lip left over near the breach from the boring.

Always a fun time!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 4:43:28 AM EDT
[#46]
My bess with her companions in the kitchen;
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 7:44:11 AM EDT
[#47]
.50 caliber Kibler gun I just finished getting together:

Link Posted: 5/6/2020 12:13:57 PM EDT
[#50]
.40 cal flintlock Southern Mt Rifle from Jim Kibler kit

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMjG1i3CI2iujgdb425jJvKqu3y4dv24nzLl9Qz
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPkYVPClfSx2izsTHlP6-1hv2dHKccfynHnOFDZ
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipNHzaMxktb8X7z7K21n4iaAbb94fpWRNJX6vcqa
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipP2YD80MVFbeIrUcGTxuPQT7SLTqrSO5GB1y0hi
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMEr5ju8FAQNTTIUsGrznKwqVHePRhJ21IkH9iP
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipO1-ChCUzPokZb3Z7x-iALPOYxxcD02JaG6oNqy
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipP3jkRAzDVVmzfP-NbQ9gWzwJ90B2_l7QG0mCAa
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top