BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 10:05:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Sorry thought you got one of the smaller sizes.  You gotta post pics when your done!!!!

There are other paints you canuse if you donsome searching if you dont want to go the 1944 route. I have a really good list of paints and colors and RAL numbers but unfortunatley its packed up with all my helmets for an impending move.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 1:53:13 PM EDT
[#2]
@NoMoAMMO

You beat me on that M35 while I was researching.

Pretty sure the decals are fake.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 2:53:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry man! Its going to get redone once I get moved into a nice early DD Luft M35
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 3:35:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Sorry man! Its going to get redone once I get moved into a nice early DD Luft M35
View Quote
It’s all good.

I really need to do some more reading so I know what I’m looking at immediately.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 4:02:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It’s all good.

I really need to do some more reading so I know what I’m looking at immediately.
View Quote
Thats a crazy deep rabbit hole, good luck!!

You should check out the helmet section over on the Wehrmacht Award Forums.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 6:12:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Paint is OOS at 1944.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 7:36:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Paint is OOS at 1944.
View Quote
I'm on my phone right now but if you google "German helmet RAL codes" you can find other options if you don't want to wait on 1944
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 7:05:14 PM EDT
[#8]
@Sputnik556. Were you able to find a suitable paint?
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 9:12:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
@Sputnik556. Were you able to find a suitable paint?
View Quote
I did, but don’t have an airbrush.

I’m going to wait on the 1944 spray.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 10:04:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Oooh do an early snake leg eagle with the Luftwaffe blue paint!
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 6:23:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Any update?
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 7:44:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Any update?
View Quote
No, I got busy with other things.

Need to get back on track.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 12:13:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

No, I got busy with other things.

Need to get back on track.
View Quote
You get to it yet?
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 12:18:04 AM EDT
[#14]
How about now ??
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 6:26:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:33:27 AM EDT
[#16]
I used to reenact back in the 1990s, when you could still find pretty good deals on original and immediate postwar stuff. I had a set of SS uniforms, gear and equipment to beat the band, but got rid of it all around 2005, and all I have left is my ET-66 M35 that I refinished in baked enamel and rebuilt with an ATF liner and pins.

The Czech dou 43 double claw sniper I had is the one thing I really, really miss, but hey, had a good time, made some good friends and have a lot of happy memories of being in the field playing around with museum pieces, so I reckon I can't complain too much.
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 3:40:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Reddick Militia  In Texas is a good place for repros too.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 5:37:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Well heres my latest order from IMA. Im happy.  First I sent customer service a message and asked if I could order a FINN M40/55
without the third holes drilled?

They said yes, but they are extremely limited and are in much worse condition than the other FINN helmets. They also said add the hand select fee and put what I wanted in the notes.

I told them I have two other helmets from them, and if they could find me one in a 60cm and if that wasnt available go for a 59cm. If they had nothing cancel my order.

Heres what I got.  I dont know if they picked me a nice one because Im a repeat customer or not. They were on sale at that.
It has that surplus stink to it. Most of the leather headband is good. One tab has some flaking.

One loose rivet

Heres my fleet. Left is Exc condition and had never been worn 60cm.  Right is the one I just received. Center back row is a scratch and dent. Loose headband complete. Had three huge dents. Not sure of its size. I cant even put it on. My twelve year old can.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 5:44:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Well heres my latest order from IMA. Im happy.  First I sent customer service a message and asked if I could order a FINN M40/55

They said yes, but they are extremely limited and are in much worse condition than the other FINN helmets. They also said add the hand select fee and put what I wanted in the notes.

I told them I have two other helmets from them, and if they could find me one in a 60cm and if that wasnt available go for a 59cm. If they had nothing cancel my order.

Heres what I got.  I dont know if they picked me a nice one because Im a repeat customer or not. They were on sale at that.
It has that surplus stink to it. Most of the leather headband is good. One tab has some flaking.

https://i.imgur.com/a9IEYMP.jpg
One loose rivet
https://i.imgur.com/0NCectD.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/wyjgdTR.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/6mHAskt.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/UUEHfgv.jpg

Heres my fleet. Left is Exc condition and had never been worn 60cm.  Right is the one I just received. Center back row is a scratch and dent. Loose headband complete. Had three huge dents. Not sure of its size. I cant even put it on. My twelve year old can.
View Quote
How much?
I guess OP is never gonna provide?
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 5:59:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

How much?
View Quote
$74 and change shipped with hand pick fee.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 7:33:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
How much?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One loose rivet
https://i.imgur.com/wyjgdTR.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/6mHAskt.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/UUEHfgv.jpg

How much?
OP will not deliver.

Link Posted: 3/5/2019 9:41:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Saw the update......

Saw last poster and got excited....................

got to last post and received disappointment............................

But I can't say much I still need to finish mine too, but I need to buy my new place first. We will both be done at the same time
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 10:13:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Meh, they are fine if you are just looking for something close to put on a shelf, but they are far from a WWII German helmet, whether the shells are original or not....

Liners are all wrong, chinstraps are wrong, and the rivets and extra holes are wrong....keep that in mind should you want to order these...

ETA The green one in the pic above would be the closest externally, except it appear it has an extra hole and rivet added...
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 12:32:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

One loose rivet
View Quote
I like the look of this one, swap the liner, rivets and chin strap and leave it as is.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 12:43:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I like the look of this one, swap the liner, rivets and chin strap and leave it as is.
View Quote
I was thinking the same thing but the parts cost more than the whole helmet. I might still do it later.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 2:09:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Well, seeing as OP won't deliver , here's my humble attempt.

It started as a reasonable condition M40/55, but with totally messed up paint. Removed the rotten liner and stripped off all layers of paint. Repainted fieldgrey after tweaking the shade a little, I also added a tiny amount of grout for texture. Honestly it's far from perfect, but definitely serves as a cheap "wallhanger". Fun project, and I have a nicer original Finn helmet to go beside it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 2:51:59 PM EDT
[#27]
OP will deliver.

I’ll order the stuff this week.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 10:22:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Well, seeing as OP won't deliver , here's my humble attempt.

It started as a reasonable condition M40/55, but with totally messed up paint. Removed the rotten liner and stripped off all layers of paint. Repainted fieldgrey after tweaking the shade a little, I also added a tiny amount of grout for texture. Honestly it's far from perfect, but definitely serves as a cheap "wallhanger". Fun project, and I have a nicer original Finn helmet to go beside it.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/453412/Helmet_jpg-868239.JPG
View Quote
Nice. I went a head and ordered new rivets and a liner for my newest helmet above. I took it apart today and threw it in the kitchen sink for a hot bath in some dawn to kill the funky mildew smell. Theres not one mark anywhere in the head band or helmet inside. How did they know the sizes of these for the recruits? Any clues? The FINNS that is.
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 11:42:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Nice. I went a head and ordered new rivets and a liner for my newest helmet above. I took it apart today and threw it in the kitchen sink for a hot bath in some dawn to kill the funky mildew smell. Theres not one mark anywhere in the head band or helmet inside. How did they know the sizes of these for the recruits? Any clues? The FINNS that is.
View Quote
Try this one.....try this one....Ok

Just a WAG
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 11:52:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Just a WAG
View Quote
Lol I figured, but from a stock/inventory point of view it would be a guess on the inventory. They must have had a shit ton to pick from.
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 12:29:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Can’t speak for all of them, but mine had the size ink stamped into the leather.
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 12:30:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Just a WAG
View Quote
I was originally thinking: “here you go, next”, but you may be right!
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 11:15:54 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm sitting here looking at helmet paint, and I'm a bit conflicted about the route to take.

I could do the standard Heer helmet, or I could do Luftwaffe. I'm somewhat inclined to go with the former, but the latter being more unusual has some appeal.
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 12:02:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Do a Lufty Field Division 3 color Normandy Camo
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 4:09:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Some motivational pics.

Link Posted: 3/8/2019 4:15:12 PM EDT
[#36]
So, all Luftwaffe helmets were either single, or no decal, correct?
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 5:14:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
No, they had double decal too, and early ones were droop tail eagles...
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 5:48:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ah, thanks.

I think I'm going to do a single decal Luftwaffe, One of these days I may get around to finding an original Heer shell, so there's no point in having two of the same variations.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 5:45:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Any good liner kits besides At The Front?

They’re a bit pricey.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 6:35:51 PM EDT
[#40]
I just got mine today from IMA. The rivets came already painted. The liner is good but the chin strap is cheap, and looks cheap. It was $40 with the chin strap. Fits good. I had to enlarge one slot to line up the pin. The rivets were $7.95

Edit: By pin I mean a rivet hole was off a little in the head band. Its a slot actually.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 7:02:36 PM EDT
[#41]
There is a guy on eBay out of the Czech Republic with really good stuff. I can't think of his name but he should come up in a search
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 9:45:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
There is a guy on eBay out of the Czech Republic with really good stuff. I can't think of his name but he should come up in a search
View Quote
Found it, thanks. Unfortunately no washers or chinstrap.

I’ll probably order the ATF version.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 12:52:21 AM EDT
[#43]
I hate the chin strap on mine. I dont do ebay anymore or I would be shopping on there. It needs a thicker strap. I see a lot of places selling the same strap. The helmets comfy with the new liner. It feels better than the FINN liner.
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 10:39:30 PM EDT
[#44]
CZPRG us the guy I've bought quite a bit from.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 7:47:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Step one complete.

Attachment Attached File

Soon...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 7:50:41 PM EDT
[#46]
So, should I just sandblast this thing, or use paint stripper first?

It has at least three layers of paint on it, red/green/gray.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 8:01:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
Paint stripper really struggled on mine.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 8:32:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, I'll probably sandblast.

I also ordered a liner kit and Luftwaffe decals from ATF. I was very tempted to add an original M42 to the cart, but managed to hold back.

For now.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 9:23:54 PM EDT
[#49]
I think that’s the way to go, probably would’ve saved me hours.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 11:26:57 AM EDT
[#50]
I have a WW1 1917 shell that was used by the Czechs post war and there is not a stripper that I tried that would touch it. Even blasting it is a struggle!!! However one of my norwegians came really clean with citristrip so it may work on yours too.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top