Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/19/2017 4:55:08 PM EDT

I found this No. 4 Mk 1 in the gunshop with an old but, I don't think, authentic scope on it and I don't know what to do. I really want it but I don't want to just impulsively jump at it. I also didn't think it would have been on my mind this much so I
only cycled it once but it seemed alright. I don't want to just jump on it because it's pretty but I also don't want to wait and lose my shot at it.

I know it's not the best picture to see all of it since I was just planned on looking at a shotgun and grabbing some ammo, but I could maybe go and get another pic tomorrow.

Bottom line: what do you guys think?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 5:05:00 PM EDT
[#1]
How much they want for it would be the deciding factor.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 5:07:13 PM EDT
[#2]
around $300 but I don't want to say exactly, I'm afraid I might jinx and some go in and grab it first.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 5:07:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 5:09:44 PM EDT
[#4]
yeah i know right. I want that too but it's $749.99 which is just a bit much for the gotta have it now sale. Even if it's rare or a good price.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 5:11:54 PM EDT
[#5]
also the rifle cut off at the front in the pic is a spanish mauser at least labeled 1944 but the only mark I saw said La Concha or something.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 5:12:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I would start by taking a better picture of it
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 5:14:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 5:14:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I will go back tomorrow and try to get some better pics and see if I can get it put on reserve for at least a few days while I decide. I just went in to grab some ammo and look at a shotgun I've been wanting so I wasn't expecting to have this thing burning in my head all day.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 5:16:56 PM EDT
[#9]
That Model 8 does look pretty good. Where is this, exactly?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 5:18:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If the rifle has matching numbers and the scope mount is one of the no-drill types, that's not a bad price.  If numbers don't match or it's been drilled and tapped, it's a meh price.

ETA:  Assuming it's not something uncommon.
View Quote
I think it might have been drilled because I remember the scope mount being pretty low to the action, but I guess I'll check tomorrow. How often SMLEs pop up anyway?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 5:19:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That Model 8 does look pretty good. Where is this, exactly?
View Quote
I'll let you know where if I can get the gun on reserve. Don't want EVERYONE to know about it, assuming this is actually a good find.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 5:22:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I paid $400 for this one.  1966 Ishapore in 7.62 NATO.  All matching numbers in unaltered condition. Near perfect bore/barrel.  (sellers pics from Armslist)

Link Posted: 9/19/2017 5:25:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

How often SMLEs pop up anyway?
View Quote
Enfields are pretty common. Finding one that hasn't been hacked up is getting harder. The Rifle in your photo is a No4 MkI of some flavor. No1MkIII's are usually referred to as SMLE's. I think the price is going to come down to matching numbers, bore condition, and if the scope mount was a drilled type. Good luck. Don't overpay if it's been bubba'd. Is there a magazine?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 5:27:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I paid $400 for this one.  1966 Ishapore in 7.62 NATO.  All matching numbers in unaltered condition. Near perfect bore/barrel.  (sellers pics from Armslist)
View Quote
Well now you're just making me jealous, I really like the No.1s better than the No.4
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 5:29:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Enfields are pretty common. Finding one that hasn't been hacked up is getting harder. The Rifle in your photo is a No4 MkI of some flavor. No1MkIII's are usually referred to as SMLE's. I think the price is going to come down to matching numbers, bore condition, and if the scope mount was a drilled type. Good luck. Don't overpay if it's been bubba'd. Is there a magazine?
View Quote
I assume there is one, all the guns in the store that have detachable mags had them detached so I guess i'm just taking it for granted that they have it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 5:41:33 PM EDT
[#16]
When I go back for more pictures what should I focus on?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 5:49:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
When I go back for more pictures what should I focus on?
View Quote
Just overall pics of the rifle and how the scope is mounted. Also check to see if matching numbers and find out about the magazine.  It should also be matching # to the rifle. 
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 5:56:23 PM EDT
[#18]
One other thing OP, there are Lee Enfields out there.  No need to jump on this one unless it's what you want.  I kept my eye out for a long while before happening on mine.  If you like the NO #1's better keep looking until you find one. 
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:58:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
One other thing OP, there are Lee Enfields out there.  No need to jump on this one unless it's what you want.  I kept my eye out for a long while before happening on mine.  If you like the NO #1's better keep looking until you find one. 
View Quote
Yeah now I've looked at the options for a No.1 and its cooled my head sort of, I still want one of those, I think I'll go look at a gun show or two and hope I can find a better deal.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 11:44:53 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm not a great photographer but I did get a few more pictures of what seemed important

https://i.imgur.com/0Q0f7Dw.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/3l36iiP.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/c2e9bae.jpg

The bolt and receiver did have matching numbers
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 12:03:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Stock refinished too?
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 12:04:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Walk away......it's been drilled/tapped and covered in polyurethane.....
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 12:08:18 PM EDT
[#23]
For $300 if you want a deer gun, or a gun to punch holes in targets with, its a good buy....

But it has zero collector value thanks to the drill and tap...so if you want a "collector" gun, this isn't it...if you just want a gun that goes bang for fun, or hunting, its probably a pretty good deal...
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 12:15:03 PM EDT
[#24]
The rifle looks to be in good shape.  I'm thinking that scope mount is drilled into the receiver which does hurt the overall value.  If the price is right I would buy it myself.  Does the serial # on the magazine match also?
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 12:16:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 12:18:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
For $300 if you want a deer gun, or a gun to punch holes in targets with, its a good buy....

But it has zero collector value thanks to the drill and tap...so if you want a "collector" gun, this isn't it...if you just want a gun that goes bang for fun, or hunting, its probably a pretty good deal...
View Quote
I'm thinking if he goes with the collector value being ruined, he may be able to get it for under $300.  At that price I'd get it just to play with.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 12:25:36 PM EDT
[#27]
actually its $249.99 exactly, if that changes anything a lot. Also it will probably be a target shooter but I don't really like the scope either. If it's relevant this will be my first rifle I've bought for myself.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 12:28:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
actually its $249.99 exactly, if that changes anything a lot. Also it will probably be a target shooter but I don't really like the scope either. If it's relevant this will be my first rifle I've bought for myself.
View Quote
Like others said.  If you're looking for something with collector value,  pass.  If you want a fun, play around with, do some hunting with gun, then it's a good deal at that price.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 12:40:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Thank for all the help but thinking it over I think I will take Apocalyto's advice from yesterday and pass on this one for now and look for the No.1 MkIII I really want. There's a gun show this weekend and a couple auctions I'm watching now that I've actually looked so I think I'll get one I really want at a good price.

Just in case someone wants the one I found it's at Franklin Gun Shop in Athens for $249.99 and obviously that's also where the Auto 8 is too.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 12:53:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Thank for all the help but thinking it over I think I will take Apocalyto's advice from yesterday and pass on this one for now and look for the No.1 MkIII I really want. There's a gun show this weekend and a couple auctions I'm watching now that I've actually looked so I think I'll get one I really want at a good price.

Just in case someone wants the one I found it's at Franklin Gun Shop in Athens for $249.99 and obviously that's also where the Auto 8 is too.
View Quote
Good choice.  Get what you really want, you'll find a good No#1, just be patient, although you will pay more than $250 for it I promise. 
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 1:15:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Good choice.  Get what you really want, you'll find a good No#1, just be patient, although you will pay more than $250 for it I promise. 
View Quote
Yeah but for a good no.1 I'm willing to pay ~$400. If I get one I'll be sure to show it off on here.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 1:24:36 PM EDT
[#32]
I agree.  If you are looking for a collector piece, I'd walk away from that one.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 2:34:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Front sight cut off?

$100
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 6:33:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Concur with all. Too far gone, and not worth it to a collector. Pass on this rifle.

Be patient and bide your time. The perfect SMLE will come along, just have to wait for it.

This was mine.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

All-matching, nearly original WWI production SSA Mk. III*. SSA is the rarest of SMLE Mk. III makers, with total production somewhere around 250,000 between 1916 and 1918. It came as pictured, with the quite uncommon Pattern '14 leather sling (original, not a repro) attached.

The unit disc is marked to the 2nd Battalion of the Royal Marines, with an issue date of August 1937, rack number x2445.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 7:05:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Concur with all. Too far gone, and not worth it to a collector. Pass on this rifle.

Be patient and bide your time. The perfect SMLE will come along, just have to wait for it.

This was mine.

All-matching, nearly original WWI production SSA Mk. III*. SSA is the rarest of SMLE Mk. III makers, with total production somewhere around 250,000 between 1916 and 1918. It came as pictured, with the quite uncommon Pattern '14 leather sling (original, not a repro) attached.
View Quote
Maybe there, but still a lot of those slings floating around here (& elsewhere)

Nice SMLE !!
What year/make was the bayonet?
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 7:08:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Maybe there, but still a lot of those slings floating around here (& elsewhere)

Nice SMLE !!
What year/make was the bayonet?
View Quote
They're pretty common down under as well, from what I gather, as they made them during WWII. They're not rare here, just uncommon.

The P'07 bayonet is a 1915 Sanderson, and still has its early "teardrop" scabbard.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 7:15:46 PM EDT
[#37]
I love the No. 1's....

Marked to the Aussie 1st Field Artlliery Battalion, the designation was used during Gallipoli and before, they changed designations shortly after leaving Gallipoli, and going to the Western Front...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 7:23:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I love the No. 1's....

Marked to the Aussie 1st Field Artlliery Battalion, the designation was used during Gallipoli and before, they changed designations shortly after leaving Gallipoli, and going to the Western Front...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/374866/gal1-312535.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/374866/gal2-312537.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/374866/gal3-312538.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/374866/gal4-312539.JPG
View Quote
Nice! That's part of the batch of rifles that were given to the Aussies in compensation for all the Lithgow rifles they supplied during WWI. I've got a 1915 LSA Mk. III (cutoff intact as well) out of that lot too. It's a mishmash of British and Aussie parts, but still has walnut furniture. Interestingly, the walnut forestock has been inletted with the brass recoil plates commonly seen on Aussie coachwood forestocks.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 7:28:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Nice! That's part of the batch of rifles that were given to the Aussies in compensation for all the Lithgow rifles they supplied during WWI. I've got a 1915 LSA Mk. III (cutoff intact as well) out of that lot too. It's a mishmash of British and Aussie parts, but still has walnut furniture. Interestingly, the walnut forestock has been inletted with the brass recoil plates commonly seen on Aussie coachwood forestocks.
View Quote
Cool, I used to have quite a few Aussies, always liked them...love the early ones with the cool markings on the butt...

I have this very well used Lithgow too...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 7:33:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Cool, I used to have quite a few Aussies, always liked them...love the early ones with the cool markings on the butt...

I have this very well used Lithgow too...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/374866/100_1119-312558.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/374866/100_1120-312559.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/374866/100_1122-312560.JPG
View Quote
Cool! 1915 Lithgows aren't common. I've got a 1916 Lithgow myself - still has the QLD maple wood like yours, but has a replacement WWII bolt. 2/45 refurb date.

As far as old SMLEs go, you'll be hard pressed to find one older than this guy...
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Aussie-owned for a while, too. This one's technically a No. 2 now, but it was a .303 SMLE for most of its life. And yes, manufacture date 1901, two years before the SMLE was even accepted for service...
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 7:41:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Wow, that's nice! Plus its a Sparkbrook! Me likey!
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 7:43:27 PM EDT
[#42]
New Zealand anyone?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Not a SMLE though....

Plus it has the early mag with link still attached...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 7:52:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Ooh, we're getting into the MLEs, are we? That one looks like it's been converted to the "range rifle" pattern - SMLE length barrel - which was done to allow these to compete in rifle matches after the SMLE's adoption.

I've got this guy:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Yet another Sparky. This one's an 1897 MLE Mk. I. Bayonet is an 1890-dated Wilkinson P'88.
This rifle has the "N" Naval marking on the left side of the wrist so it's an ex-RN rifle. Probably sat in a ship locker for a while.

ETA: At this point I think we've probably ruined poor OP. He'll have Enfielditis bad.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 8:30:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Nice! I always wanted a Long Tom, the Range Pattern is the closest I have come....And you are exactly right. This was a homemade bubba job...but it has all the right parts, and its cool...

I figure we are just whetting his appetite!

Look at the hack job on that barrel!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 8:39:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Nice! I always wanted a Long Tom, the Range Pattern is the closest I have come....And you are exactly right. This was a homemade bubba job...but it has all the right parts, and its cool...

I figure we are just whetting his appetite!

Look at the hack job on that barrel!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/374866/20151009_154234-312666.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/374866/20151001_203746-312670.JPG
View Quote
With those old girls, sometimes you have to take what you can get. The MLEs and MLMs are rather uncommon in the US.

If you didn't know, the C14 marking on the buttplate tang indicates it's part of a lot of Long Lee rifles that NZ bought from Canada in 1914. These were still in use as late as WWII, being issued to shore watch patrols, and a number of them were used as the base for the construction of the Charlton Automatic Rifle.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 8:44:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Never mind giving the OP Enfield envy,  now I'm going to have to get me one in 303 to go with my Ishapore 7.62. 

Link Posted: 9/20/2017 9:55:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Sometimes one of these will pop up for under $300 at a local shop!

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 7:04:10 AM EDT
[#48]
You lucky bastard, not in any gun shop I've ever been in!

Another I dream of owning...RIC carbine....

Is that French looking side sling mount in the butt original? I don't recall....
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 8:13:26 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

You lucky bastard, not in any gun shop I've ever been in!

Another I dream of owning...RIC carbine....

Is that French looking side sling mount in the butt original? I don't recall....
View Quote
Yes, all original and super nice overall condition.  It is one of the nicer and more complete ones that I have ever seen.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 12:08:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Damn I don't look for one day and now everyone has come out to brag on their own SMLE, maybe I'll find a good one at muh gunshow. If not I'll keep an eagle eye on gunbroker.

I thought we decided to talk me out of it but you guys with your nice pics are making it worse.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top