Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2017 1:30:27 PM EDT
I found this Lend Lease "Victory" model today. Pre-Victory to be exact, made in late 1941. I gave $125.00 for it. It's in .38/200 (.38 S&W).

Still tight. Nice bore. CAI Import.

Sadly it went through a Forward Thorough Repair at the Ishapore Factory in 1968 but for some reason S&W collectors like them as it seems not many were imported.

It's finished in the "locomotive paint" the Ishapore 2A "Enfield" rifles are known for.

A lot of the markings are covered by the thick paint but I can make out the US Property marking on the top-strap and broadarrow proof in front of that. No V in the serial but there is a V stamped on the right side of the butt next to the lanyard swivel retaining pin.

There does not appear to be any finish left under the paint if the few places the paint is worn is any indication.

Interesting variant.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 1:23:58 PM EDT
[#1]
A pretty good buy at $125. Back when they were first imported I picked one up ( local ffl guy brought a batch to our gun club and they were$90 each but that was about 20 years ago. Once you fiddle with reloading for them they can be fun shooters ( factory 38 S&W being simply too expensive to shoot much)
I used believe it or not 9mm Luger reloading dies to make my reloads- the case length is near identical so other than a shell holder cobbled together loads that shot well using 148 grain hollow base wadcutters
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 5:42:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A pretty good buy at $125. Back when they were first imported I picked one up ( local ffl guy brought a batch to our gun club and they were$90 each but that was about 20 years ago. Once you fiddle with reloading for them they can be fun shooters ( factory 38 S&W being simply too expensive to shoot much)
I used believe it or not 9mm Luger reloading dies to make my reloads- the case length is near identical so other than a shell holder cobbled together loads that shot well using 148 grain hollow base wadcutters
View Quote
I'm GTG on ammo. A LGS went out of business and I got 10 boxes at $5.00 a box.

I have a Brit Colt police positive in the same caliber as well as a Webley and Enfield to feed so I had several boxes before that find.

Ishapore guns don't get much respect in the mil-surp world but it's not like Indian mil-surp handguns (of any flavor) are all that thick on the ground.

Have you ever seen one of their current issue (made under license) Hi-powers in the wild?

You would think that there had to be some WW-2 issue Hi-Powers in Indian hands but I've never seen or heard tell of one.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 4:28:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

You would think that there had to be some WW-2 issue Hi-Powers in Indian hands but I've never seen or heard tell of one.
View Quote
I honestly doubt a single one has been legitimately surplused out since 1947.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 5:59:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I honestly doubt a single one has been legitimately surplused out since 1947.
View Quote
Inglis No. 2s? Sure they have. The British Army surplussed a bunch of them back in the late 80s - and they made their way here. You find them pretty frequently - they'll show Enfield refurbishment marks from the 1960s and be finished in Suncorite. Most are in excellent shape, having been used little since their refurbishment.

As to Indian 9mm 1A pistols, yes, there are some here. How they got here is anyone's guess, but if you'd like one, the Cabela's in Sun Prarie, Wisconsin has one for sale.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top