Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2017 12:08:59 AM EDT
I have been wanting to add an Enfield to my collection for some time.  My knowledge on Enfields is limited.  I normally shoot a 1903A3 in local vintage bolt action matches but looking to add an Enfield for some variety.  I have an opportunity to purchase either a '43 Fazakerley No4 MK1 or a BSA No1 MKIII*.  Both appear to be in very good condition.  

The No4 has matching numbers, stock is in excellent contain, bore is a nice 2 groove barrel that is bright with strong rifling.  The import mark is by the trigger guard and is barely noticeable.  

The No1 MkIII* looks to be in very good shape.  Matching numbers, the magazine has had 3 other numbers Xed out, barrel is in very good condition, bright bore with strong rifling, nice crown.  Import mark in the receiver.    

The price is $350 firm for either one.

Which one is more collectable?  Is one more desirable than the other?

Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:46:19 AM EDT
[#1]
If you might ever want to shoot one in vintage matches, the No.4 sights would be superior. Other than that, I don't see a huge value difference given makers and condition.

ETA- the SMLE is a 1915 WWI era rifle if that makes a difference for your collecting goals.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 2:14:56 PM EDT
[#2]
For shooting you are generally going to do better with the #4 and if need be can replace the rear sight with models capable of finer windage and elevation adjustment. I would go with the 4
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:14:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Of those two, get the No. 4.

I tend to prefer the SMLE (and have many more of them) but I'm not really fond of that example. The WWII-era beech replacement forestock is ugly and the numbered magazine, broken handguards, and CAI import mark point to use outside of British service (and likely, neglect).
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 10:49:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I have both and shoot both. I like the looks of the ShtLE better than a No4. As stated above the No4 has a better rear micro sight, longer sight radius and a thicker barrel. Both feed and function great. I shoot 180gr PPU BTSP's with very good accuracy in both guns. Realistically they are both around 1.75 to 2.00 MOA. Groups usually shrink when I am benched on paper and put an effort into it. These guns are hella fun to clank steel with! My eyes have gotten bad so hitting 2/3 IDPA silhouette's consistently at 200+ yards can be a challenge!

I say buy both of them and turn the No.4 into a sniper clone T!

Brad
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 8:22:07 AM EDT
[#5]
The number 4 is my more preferred rifle, but both are great.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 10:10:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I have the No4 hold right now.  I would like to have both but we just bought a house and the money is tight right now.  The prices of Enfields are climbing pretty quick even the sporterized ones are $350 and up.  These things do not show up very often for sale locally so waiting around for a better price or more desirable model is probably not going to happen.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 10:23:45 PM EDT
[#7]
At that price I would buy both.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top