Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2017 3:26:05 PM EDT
Stumbled across this at my local gun shop on the used rack for $995. Been trying to track down an early model for quite a while. Is this way out of the ballpark on price? Took pictures of everything I could see a stamp on. Didn't see any cartouches on the stock.

Link Posted: 9/16/2017 4:08:28 PM EDT
[#1]
on par with what these go for nowdays. Early features = bonus.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 1:43:56 PM EDT
[#2]
You would be hard-pressed to find another one in that condition at that price.

Any way you can check the gas piston to see if it is corroded?
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 8:20:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You would be hard-pressed to find another one in that condition at that price.

Any way you can check the gas piston to see if it is corroded?
View Quote
I concur, I would run back and buy it if you want one!
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:51:01 AM EDT
[#4]
W0W!  
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 2:45:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Good price and with no bayonet lug and the "old" version of the rear sight....you have some things on there that got replaced pretty often.

It is hard to find a working GI around here for less then a grand....just not going to happen...prices have gone insane.  Looked like an inland.

Should not be corroded, carbine ammo was never corrosive.

and I agree run don't walk back and buy that.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 4:13:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Most likely it's been "restored" that that configuration. Does it look like it has a "shadow" on the barrel where a later band with a bayonet lug was mounted? The mag release looks to be a later one. Talk them down a bit and it wouldn't be a bad price for a representative.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:54:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Most likely it's been "restored" that that configuration. Does it look like it has a "shadow" on the barrel where a later band with a bayonet lug was mounted? The mag release looks to be a later one. Talk them down a bit and it wouldn't be a bad price for a representative.
View Quote
It is so hard to tell anymore if you got one that slipped past or one that was "restored" like you said....be that as it may the parts are there, and they looked like the real deal.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 1:26:40 PM EDT
[#8]
At least in the picks I see no marks from a bayonet mount band or punch marks from installing the later version rear sight and it has the two as opposed to 4 rivet handguard and push button rather than flip safety. Even if a "restored" model it looks well worth the asking price
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 4:55:10 PM EDT
[#9]
The rear sight looks, at first glance, like it might be on backwards.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 8:09:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
I don't know why I have such issues with pictures....guess that is why I don't buy guns over the internet....I had trouble with the MFG.....guess I am old with old eyes.

I think the sight is correct.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 6:26:35 PM EDT
[#11]
If I saw that it would come home with me, worth the gamble IMO.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 9:39:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Buy it. You'll never regret it. She's nice.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 6:35:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Put a Carbine round in the muzzle. If the round doesnt drop down to the brass then BUY IT NOW. Also check barrel bore for rust or pitting. Rear sight looks to be put on backward.  It is a fair price for what it is.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 4:47:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I don't know why I have such issues with pictures....guess that is why I don't buy guns over the internet....I had trouble with the MFG.....guess I am old with old eyes.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What I meant was, the "dished" part of the rear aperture should face forward, not rearward, IIRC. Looks like this specific example the sight was installed 180 from proper, so the dish points to the rear.

Shouldn't affect function, but may be a sign that the older-style rear sight was re-installed at some point. That said, I'm not an expert and this is just as I recall from what I've read and seen.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:09:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

What I meant was, the "dished" part of the rear aperture should face forward, not rearward, IIRC. Looks like this specific example the sight was installed 180 from proper, so the dish points to the rear.

Shouldn't affect function, but may be a sign that the older-style rear sight was re-installed at some point. That said, I'm not an expert and this is just as I recall from what I've read and seen.
View Quote
I just can't tell from the photo.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 8:33:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Should not it have a High-Wood stock if original?
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 12:24:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Should not it have a High-Wood stock if original?
View Quote
Not necessarily.  Depends on the date range.  High wood stocks were replaced fairly early in the production run.  Some were cut down to low wood configuration.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 6:26:13 PM EDT
[#18]
The reason I ask, is I have an Inland Div with barrel dated one month later (4-43) with all early features, SN. 71400x and it has the high-wood stock.

Quoted:

Not necessarily.  Depends on the date range.  High wood stocks were replaced fairly early in the production run.  Some were cut down to low wood configuration.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 10:02:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The reason I ask, is I have an Inland Div with barrel dated one month later (4-43) with all early features, SN. 71400x and it has the high-wood stock.
View Quote
The problem with carbines is they are consistently inconsistent.  Many came from the factory as mixmasters and once they went to the field it's anyone's guess what happened to them.  Serial number ranges for the various parts are estimates at best.  The cut off dates were never set in stone.  All existing parts were used and there is often overlap.  The point was to get guns out the door and all parts in the shop were used.  Parts were frequently swapped from one contractor to another.  If Saginaw was running short of bolts one week, they would use Inland bolts and not worry about it.  

Add in the post war rebuild program, which also had inconsistencies and the mania for back dating carbines that started a few years ago and it's almost impossible to say a carbine is "correct" or not.  The one you're looking at seems like a nice one at a fair price.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 10:13:56 AM EDT
[#20]
I would risk it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 7:38:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The problem with carbines is they are consistently inconsistent.  Many came from the factory as mixmasters and once they went to the field it's anyone's guess what happened to them.  Serial number ranges for the various parts are estimates at best.  The cut off dates were never set in stone.  All existing parts were used and there is often overlap.  The point was to get guns out the door and all parts in the shop were used.  Parts were frequently swapped from one contractor to another.  If Saginaw was running short of bolts one week, they would use Inland bolts and not worry about it.  

Add in the post war rebuild program, which also had inconsistencies and the mania for back dating carbines that started a few years ago and it's almost impossible to say a carbine is "correct" or not.  The one you're looking at seems like a nice one at a fair price.
View Quote
This is so true....if someone tries to sell you a "matching" carbine likely is it is something that guy put together from about a dozen.

You need to remember there was a war on....with so many different people making this thing it is easy to have this and that all mixed together.

Look at the gun on its own....see how it stands up.  Carbines never suffered from corrosive ammo so they are likely pretty good in that area.

You will see more then a few with M2 stocks as well as that was pretty common to replace with.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 6:15:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Rear sight on backwards... scratches near front sight indicate it had a bayonet lug.

Looks like a restoration with possible repo parts..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top