Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2017 5:49:35 PM EDT
Another member here is selling some rifles which I have interest in and neither of us know all that much in these areas, we are trying to come up with a rough value for each.

I have some initial pictures handy, and should be able to get more, does anything jump out here? What else will be needed for a proper determination?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Spanish Mauser maybe?

Link Posted: 9/12/2017 9:30:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Three things that will determine value are matching numbers, bore condition, and if there are import marks.

Rough value
Carcano - $200, more if finnish marked
Enfield Jungle carbine - $400 - 500
Sporterized mauser - $100
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:06:15 PM EDT
[#2]
The Carcano is a Model 1938 7.35mm Finnish. It's missing the upper hand guard/band. Stock looks to be sanded?
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:10:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Carcano is a Model 1938 7.35mm Finnish. It's missing the upper hand guard/band. Stock looks to be sanded?
View Quote
That was my fear.

Also the finish on the Enfield looks different to me.

ETA: So, the Carcano isn't Italian?
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:29:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That was my fear.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That was my fear.

Enfield looks like mine, I can't imagine the importer wasted the time refinishing stocks
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:40:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Enfield looks like mine, I can't imagine the importer wasted the time refinishing stocks
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27868/IMG_20161218_105545-306210.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That was my fear.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27868/IMG_20161218_105545-306210.JPG
No, that Enfield in Sputniks post was definitely slathered with something...but that's no biggie, you can strip that off, and re-finish with BLO...I would check the Jungle Carbine for these...the sight should be gradiuated to 800 yds, if its graduated out to 1000, its a rifle sight...the bolt handle knob must be hollowed out, if not, its a rifle bolt. The trigger guard ahead of the mag well opening should be "waisted"...nice early fore-end, no metal protector on the front tip...

Don't know much on the Carcano or the oddball Mauser (I can tell you its not German....)
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 5:00:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That was my fear.

View Quote
It is Italian in origin, however many of the M38's in 7.35 were sold to Finland. Look for a stamp of SA inside a box, that would indicate it was in Finnish service.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 8:08:08 AM EDT
[#7]
If the Carcano is not in 6.5 it is going to be something that is going to be a bit rough to shoot.  7.35 carcano is even more of an odd duck then the 6.5 is.  You are going to have to pretty much reload for it if you want to shoot it.  And it does not use a "normal" 30 cal bullet just like the 6.5 does not use a normal 264 bullet.  The carcano in 6.5 wants 268 and the 7.35 wants right at 300....they had to be different.

Italy right before WWII (like most) wanted to change their cartridge...and like most did not want to change in the middle of the war, so the 735 flavors are not as common as the 6mm are.

Just a bit more info, but I would say it should fetch a tad more then a "normal" Carcano...not much more as it has a few issues, but 7.35 is an odd duck.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 8:28:26 AM EDT
[#8]
No. 5 was born in Liverpool.
ROF F, means Royal Ordnance Factory, Fazakerley

Got a No.4 "shotgun" made there a year or so earlier

ETA

Very NOT interested in Italian Carcano rifles
But - FINNISH ISSUE?
Ship it over to me for some serious tlc & restoration...
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:28:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Lots of fake Jungle Carbines out there.  Read up on them.  Many were cobbled together well after the war for the collector market.  One of those is worth much less than a real one.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:23:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Bolt knob is hollowed, and the numbers match. The rear sight is graduated to 800m also.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 3:50:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 4:40:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

No, that Enfield in Sputniks post was definitely slathered with something...but that's no biggie, you can strip that off, and re-finish with BLO...I would check the Jungle Carbine for these...the sight should be gradiuated to 800 yds, if its graduated out to 1000, its a rifle sight...the bolt handle knob must be hollowed out, if not, its a rifle bolt. The trigger guard ahead of the mag well opening should be "waisted"...nice early fore-end, no metal protector on the front tip...

Don't know much on the Carcano or the oddball Mauser (I can tell you its not German....)
View Quote
@98kGuy

How involved would fixing the stock be? I'm looking to make an offer, but the stock is the biggest hang-up for me currently.

Finding out more about the bore now.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 4:52:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

@98kGuy

How involved would fixing the stock be? I'm looking to make an offer, but the stock is the biggest hang-up for me currently.

View Quote
I'm sure the bore is included, that's standard in these deals.

Offer $450, but make him include the couch, since its in the picture.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:35:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

@98kGuy

View Quote
"Fixing" the wood is easy, just strip the crap off, make sure its good and clean, then rub in some BLO, Bobs your uncle...the wood looks like it will be nice when stripped of that varnish/poly, doesn't looked abused under it...

Make sure you check on the rear sight (should be graduated to 800 yards only) and the bolt handle ball, it should be hollow for a Jungle...

There are other things to check, light lightening flutes under to wood on the barrel, and of course the flash hider...but if the sight and bolt are correct, that's a pretty good sign...

I'd offer $350-$400 myself, you can always come up...

ETA Shit, didn't see your previous post...so with the correct bolt and sight, I think it should be good...
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:51:49 PM EDT
[#15]
that model carcano there are more finnish marked ones than not

it is one of the few that a non finnish stamped rifle will be valued slightly higher

still a modestly value firearm. 7.35 isnt the easiest to source
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top