Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2017 12:12:54 PM EDT
Many of you know much on this topic (which involves C&R rifles).  Just though this sub forum should know about it:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/k98-best-bolt-action-rifle-ever-fielded-/5-2028357/
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 8:25:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Meh, I can't join in on that conversation, but as much as I love the 98k, the No.4 Lee Enfield was easily the beast...rear peep sight, detachable 10 round mag, close on cocking bolt made for very fast bolt manipulation...I'll go with it for best standard issue bolt action military rifle.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:46:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Meh, I can't join in on that conversation, but as much as I love the 98k, the No.4 Lee Enfield was easily the beast...rear peep sight, detachable 10 round mag, close on cocking bolt made for very fast bolt manipulation...I'll go with it for best standard issue bolt action military rifle.
View Quote
Agree wholeheartedly, although it is different reading that from someone with the moniker 98kGuy.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 12:20:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote
I posted in favor of the 03 Springfield but if being serious agree with you on the #4.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 2:26:31 PM EDT
[#4]
As I said, No. 4 or MAS-36. Take your pick. They're both excellent rifles.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 5:00:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I will fall back on this old nugget of truth...

The British had the best battle rifle.

The Americans had the best target rifle.

The Germans had the best hunting rifle.

Speaking only of bolt guns here.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 5:15:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Where does my K-31 fit in this discussion
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 5:28:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Where does my K-31 fit in this discussion
View Quote
That's an interesting question....I know you guys who love your Swiss boomsticks love the K31....

But, personally, I am not a fan of straight pulls....just seems to have to much chance to jam up with actual battlefield conditions...The K31 was never really battle tested.

I know the Austria-Hungarians used the M95 straight pull all throughout WWI, but I haven't done much research on how dependable and reliable they were under actual war conditions.

I would still go with the No. 4 over the K31, personally, and IMHO...just from the standpoint its simpler, and less to go wrong...
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 7:20:35 PM EDT
[#8]
As I stated in the aforementioned thread, I'd be quite pleased- relatively speaking- with a MAS Mle. 36 in my hands and plenty of ammo to feed it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 7:35:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Wrong place.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 7:55:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That's an interesting question....I know you guys who love your Swiss boomsticks love the K31....

But, personally, I am not a fan of straight pulls....just seems to have to much chance to jam up with actual battlefield conditions...The K31 was never really battle tested.

I know the Austria-Hungarians used the M95 straight pull all throughout WWI, but I haven't done much research on how dependable and reliable they were under actual war conditions.

I would still go with the No. 4 over the K31, personally, and IMHO...just from the standpoint its simpler, and less to go wrong...
View Quote
The M95 did fine; I'm not aware of any significant issues with the rifle other than the tendency of the bolt to freeze up in very cold conditions. Otherwise it was well-liked and gave good service.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 11:40:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The M95 did fine; I'm not aware of any significant issues with the rifle other than the tendency of the bolt to freeze up in very cold conditions. Otherwise it was well-liked and gave good service.
View Quote
Interesting, I could foresee problems with the helical grooving and dirt jamming it up...not to mention having to find a dime to get the bolt back in....

I have both a Budapest made stutzen, and Steyr made rifle, both matching in original 8x50R...the rifle especially is an elegant looking weapon, that distinctive long and slender stock, not nearly as bellicose as the Gew 98....
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 2:58:29 PM EDT
[#12]
MAS-36.  Hands down.

No 4 is nice, but IMO is seriously overrated.  Though its built to a more modern spec, the rifle is a kludge job of different screws.  To take the rifle apart without tearing up screwheads you need a lot of different drivers.  The safety, though in a nice position, takes far too many parts to do what it does.  The bolt does not disassemble without tools.  Rim locking a common problem due to 303 British.

The magazine capacity is often cited as a bonus, but for all intents and purposes in WWII it wasn't a deciding factor.  Troops weren't slamming 10 round mags in, they were feeding 2 strippers in.  So instead of loading every 5 rounds you had double the reload time at 10.

No 4 had nice sights, but its not fast to increase decrease elevation.

The No. 4 is nothing but a PIP'ed Enfield from the 1880s.  Easier to make, still an archaic design using rimmed cartridges.  Basically, the British Mosin that they were too stubborn to get rid of until the FAL.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 2:36:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
MAS-36.  Hands down.

No 4 is nice, but IMO is seriously overrated.  Though its built to a more modern spec, the rifle is a kludge job of different screws.  To take the rifle apart without tearing up screwheads you need a lot of different drivers.  The safety, though in a nice position, takes far too many parts to do what it does.  The bolt does not disassemble without tools.  Rim locking a common problem due to 303 British.

The magazine capacity is often cited as a bonus, but for all intents and purposes in WWII it wasn't a deciding factor.  Troops weren't slamming 10 round mags in, they were feeding 2 strippers in.  So instead of loading every 5 rounds you had double the reload time at 10.

The No. 4 is nothing but a PIP'ed Enfield from the 1880s.  Easier to make, still an archaic design using rimmed cartridges.  Basically, the British Mosin that they were too stubborn to get rid of until the FAL.
View Quote
You won't have rim lock if you do it right.

The 10 round mag means you can go into the fight will 11 rounds vs 6. After you shoot 5 you can either keep shooting or reload another 5.

The No 4 was a 2 MOA rifle vs the No 1 Mk III which was a 4 MOA rifle.  It was also cheaper to make and had much better sights. Mosins didn't improve, and they had poor ergonomics, unlike the Lee Enfield family.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 3:46:25 AM EDT
[#14]
I love my K31, but if it were a bolt gun only thing hands down Im grabbing my M39 Finn. That thing shooting decent ammo (Prvy 174gr FMJ) is more accurate than my K31 shooting GP11, and even shooting 80s Russian surplus is nothing to sneeze at. Very robust and proven design, and dare I say it one of the smoothest actions I have ever held, it requires effort to cock, but its smooth.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 8:40:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
MAS-36.  Hands down.

No 4 is nice, but IMO is seriously overrated.  Though its built to a more modern spec, the rifle is a kludge job of different screws.  To take the rifle apart without tearing up screwheads you need a lot of different drivers. Well, to be fair the average soldier in the field wouldn't/shouldn't be taking his rifle that far apart, generally, plus the MAS 36...needs a spanner tool! The safety, though in a nice position, takes far too many parts to do what it does. Meh, the safety only has two pieces and a screw, that's not a lot of pieces The bolt does not disassemble without tools. Again, should not matter to the soldier in the field Rim locking a common problem due to 303 British.

View Quote
Gonna disagree with you, IMHO no way the MAS beats the No. 4...I've owned both pre-war and post war examples...while I liked them, they were robust, heavy duty, well built...but the No.4 sights were WAY better, especially the Mk 1 Singer sights. I'm stickin' with the No. 4....
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 8:53:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
FPNI 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top