Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2017 11:13:59 AM EDT
Bought this in 1998 and haven't ever shot it. Does anyone know anything about it. Has no import marks. I just bought a cleaning rod, sight hood and sling.
UPDATE I JUST REBUILT HER, I know she was a mixmaster but I wanted the parts to be somewhat period correct for a 43 dot Mauser. Added a nice new stock from GB (old one was cracked and earlier than the receiver) reproduction sling, cleaning rod and sight hood. Also got a set of original WWII new capture screws.
Final changes...well until I find something else wrong. New stock bands.

Below pictures with original front band guess they were used later than 1943.

BEFORE PICS BELOW THIS LINE

Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:03:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, it’s a 1943 manufactured (although I am sure you figured that out!) rifle from Waffen Werk Brunn in Czechoslovakia after the Germans took over.

Brunn was manufacturing VZ-24’s and VZ-33’s for the Czech Army prior, and after the Germans took over they continued for a while with Germanized VZ-24’s, then switched over to 98k’s. They also kept going on the 33’s, re-designated as the G33/40, the well known Mountain Troop Carbine.

Yours looks to be pretty well a total mismatch, in that it appears that all the major parts have different serial numbers.

It is what it is, it has a nice “been there done that” look to it. To me, its worth more than an RC…

I like it, and if you want an example of a 98k, it fills the bill….
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 4:27:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well, it’s a 1943 manufactured (although I am sure you figured that out!) rifle from Waffen Werk Brunn in Czechoslovakia after the Germans took over.

Brunn was manufacturing VZ-24’s and VZ-33’s for the Czech Army prior, and after the Germans took over they continued for a while with Germanized VZ-24’s, then switched over to 98k’s. They also kept going on the 33’s, re-designated as the G33/40, the well known Mountain Troop Carbine.

Yours looks to be pretty well a total mismatch, in that it appears that all the major parts have different serial numbers.

It is what it is, it has a nice “been there done that” look to it. To me, its worth more than an RC…

I like it, and if you want an example of a 98k, it fills the bill….
View Quote
Thanks I appreciate the info. I thought it was mismatched. Was that common or was it arsenal repaired with other parts? It has no import marks what so ever. Do you know what country it came from? I noticed the RC have the Soviet shellac and an X stamped on the receivers and or bolts. Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 4:42:12 PM EDT
[#3]
No, not an RC, and no, wasn't German done...you might find an odd mismatched part if done by a Waffenmeister in the field, but depot level repairs were typically, well, German. They would re-number the parts properly and keep the rifle matching. They had plenty of un numbered spare parts of all types, and would number accordingly, and then the depot would mark the wood usually on the pistol grip, so you could tell who did the re-work.

This was either put together post war from parts, or something along those lines...the no import mark doesn't mean a lot, rifles didn't require import marks until after the GCA of 1968, so it could just be an earlier import. It could be a parts rifle put together by an importer from parts from damaged rifles...who knows...but definitely didn't get captured from the Germans like this.

Still way better than an RC in my book...
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:19:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
No, not an RC, and no, wasn't German done...you might find an odd mismatched part if done by a Waffenmeister in the field, but depot level repairs were typically, well, German. They would re-number the parts properly and keep the rifle matching. They had plenty of un numbered spare parts of all types, and would number accordingly, and then the depot would mark the wood usually on the pistol grip, so you could tell who did the re-work.

This was either put together post war from parts, or something along those lines...the no import mark doesn't mean a lot, rifles didn't require import marks until after the GCA of 1968, so it could just be an earlier import. It could be a parts rifle put together by an importer from parts from damaged rifles...who knows...but definitely didn't get captured from the Germans like this.

Still way better than an RC in my book...
View Quote
Thanks I just learned a lot!
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:32:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Stock looks like it was lightly sanded, I think I can see the stamps below the takedown disc still able to be seen...

Looks like it was varnished or something, personally I would strip that, that's not original either....I think it would look better without that glossy sheen on it...

Where in Texas are you?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:48:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Stock looks like it was lightly sanded, I think I can see the stamps below the takedown disc still able to be seen...

Looks like it was varnished or something, personally I would strip that, that's not original either....I think it would look better without that glossy sheen on it...

Where in Texas are you?
View Quote
Austin
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 3:08:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Did some updates, see first post for new pics. what does the experts think?  I think it looks a lot better. Parts more period correct? @98kGuy
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 6:48:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I may be interested in your old stock for a project of mine depending on how bad its cracked.

Shoot me an IM,

Wpns Man
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 8:08:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey Man, looks good...it'll never be "original" but you certainly can get it closer...

I think I would've worked on the original stock, it had potential to be a nice stock, and I don't think it was a RC...

There is an issue with you upper (front) band, for some reason it is slid too far back...it should line up pretty even with the front end of the bayo lug, like in your original pics...don't know if the band spring slid too far under the lower band, or what...

The other thing...that rear band, is it numbered? That is a kriegsmodell band, and if numbered would bring a nice premium to someone who needs one, that is why it has a hole, that's for a screw...Kriegsmodell's did not have band springs...you need to slide it off, and figure out what is going on...

But otherwise looking good!
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:14:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hey Man, looks good...it'll never be "original" but you certainly can get it closer...

I think I would've worked on the original stock, it had potential to be a nice stock, and I don't think it was a RC...

There is an issue with you upper (front) band, for some reason it is slid too far back...it should line up pretty even with the front end of the bayo lug, like in your original pics...don't know if the band spring slid too far under the lower band, or what...

The other thing...that rear band, is it numbered? That is a kriegsmodell band, and if numbered would bring a nice premium to someone who needs one, that is why it has a hole, that's for a screw...Kriegsmodell's did not have band springs...you need to slide it off, and figure out what is going on...

But otherwise looking good!
View Quote
Fixed the lower band. Thanks for pointing that out! Still learning about Mausers. I know it won't be ever original but my home was to make it look as close to what a 43 dot rifle would look like.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:17:13 PM EDT
[#11]
When I get a chance I'll post some pics of an all matching 43 dot.....
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:53:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Put more correct stock bands on thanks for the advice Mike.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top