Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2017 3:03:05 PM EDT
Hi Guys!  I acquired these rifles in a trade almost 10 years ago.  I never got into C&R stuff as I had planned, and I don't know how to evaluate these rifles or what the C&R landscape looks like currently. I'd really appreciate help deciding a fair price for them.  If this isn't appropriate for the forum just let me know.

First is the M39-I have more pictures if necessary for finer details.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 3:04:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 3:24:18 PM EDT
[#2]
What do the bores look like?  Any surface rust, stock cracks, scratches, water damage, etc?
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 3:51:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What do the bores look like?  Any surface rust, stock cracks, scratches, water damage, etc?
View Quote
To my non-expert eye the bores look really good-no rust, shiny, and strong rifling.  No surface rust on either one. Not sure what water damage looks like...  The k31 stock is chewed up but no cracks, the m39 has no cracks, just these repairs-

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 4:05:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

To my non-expert eye the bores look really good-no rust, shiny, and strong rifling.  No surface rust on either one. Not sure what water damage looks like...  The k31 stock is chewed up but no cracks, the m39 has no cracks, just these repairs-

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/108746/IMG_1568-276788.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/108746/IMG_1567-276789.JPG
View Quote
Well I'm not an expert regarding the current market, but probably $400-$450 for the M39 and $450-$500 for the K31.  You might be able to get more for them if you tried, but I think those prices are pretty reasonable.
The stock repairs are normal for the M39 and were done by the Finns with high quality control.  The stock wear on the K31 looks pretty standard for a used service rifle.

ETA:  I don't know the market on the ammo though, so I can't help ya there.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 5:10:52 PM EDT
[#5]
The top pic of the M39 isn't repairs, that's normal to all M39's.  The rounded ends on the "fingers" is common on all war time stocks.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 5:24:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The top pic of the M39 isn't repairs, that's normal to all M39's.  The rounded ends on the "fingers" is common on all war time stocks.
View Quote
There's a repair in the bottom of the pistol grip
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 5:58:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
No there isn't.  It is just a plug.  Pretty much all of these stocks had them and some a lot.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 8:38:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I mentioned the top pic of "repairs"

From Here

"The three stock splice variations that a collector will encounter on the m/39 rifles. On the left is the rounded finger shaped splice of the wartime produced stocks. The center shows the immediate post war produced versions used for repair of rifles in inventory and the last is the final version of the "three finger"  splice made in the 1960's for use in refurbishment of the rifles that required new furniture."

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 5:09:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

No there isn't.  It is just a plug.  Pretty much all of these stocks had them and some a lot.
View Quote
this, that is what they did when the stock wood had a knot in it when it was first built.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:42:35 PM EDT
[#10]
So the rifles are in the 500$ ballpark? Would that be the consensus? What are the k31 mags and strippers worth if anything?
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:19:52 PM EDT
[#11]
K31 strippers are not worth much, a few bucks each. They are a handy way to keep some ammo ready though. The extra mags are nice to have. They go for $75-100 when you see them at all. I think the above mentioned prices for both rifles are a bit optimistic. I sold 4 K31's last year and got an average of about $325 for them. Since I only paid $75 apiece when I got them I was satisfied.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:59:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd say in a private sale you would likely get $400 each for them.  $500 is more like a retail price.

K31 strippers are expensive, I'd say $8-$10 each if you find a buyer.  They regularly sell for $10-$15 each on ebay.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:20:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Anyone want to venture a price on the 800 round crate of Czech(I think) silver tip?  Can't find anywhere selling it these days.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:52:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Two unopened tins can be had for $300. Maybe a bit more for the crate if it's intact.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 11:20:48 PM EDT
[#15]
You made a pretty good trade with the extras.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 9:10:51 AM EDT
[#16]
I recently sold an M39 that was not nearly as nice as yours for $500. Sling it over your shoulder and walk around a gunshow with a for sale sign.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 3:52:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Those M39 stock "repairs" are expansion joints built into the stock, keeps the stock from impacting accuracy as much in extreme weather when it expands and contracts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top