Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2016 9:34:33 PM EDT
I have a couple of Garands and Carbines and have wanted an 03A3 for a while to go with them. I spotted this. I don't know a whole lot about them, even after reading. I know the barrel date matches the Ser# range of when it was made. The stock looks too nice, yet has some stamps on it. I don't know if someone tried making a fake by stamping it or what. So far this is what I see....

Stock
Circle P on the bottom of the wrist
Looks like F or R IA and another stamp on the left side of the stock near the receiver - after doing some looking around at stock markings I think it is FJA - found this " The FJA on the stock stands for Col. Frank J. Atwood, who commanded the Rochester Ordnance District (which contained Remington and other arms manufacturers)."
OG stamped in the left side of the butt
4 in a square, 5 in a triangle, 5 in a diamond, and 12 in a circle stamped on the bottom of the stock in front of the inlet
The butt plate and both bands appear to be blued.

Receiver is marked Smith Corona 03-A3
Barrel is SC 8-43
Only marking I see on the bolt is an R underneath the handle
I dont see any markings on the bands, rear sight, or trigger guard.
Bore is in good shape
No pitting or rust anywhere on it

I dont know if I'm not looking in the right places, but thats all I have.
The guy is wanting 700 for it. What do you guys think? I might be able to snag it for less. I saw a really beat up Remington 03A3 last weekend. It wasn't in very good shape - they were asking 800.

Link Posted: 1/14/2016 9:51:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag for curiosity.  I've got one a lot like that I got from the CMP several years ago, still covered with Cosmo.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 10:00:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I think that is a fair price
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 10:12:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:26:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like a nice arsenal rebuild.  Stock looks like a SC stock.  Many of the SC stocks had pins instead of cross bolts.  The bolt is a Remington.  Most of the parts look to be parkerized.  Some non-rebuild parts would be blued, ie bolt, trigger guard, floor plate, and barrel bands.  Is it a 4 groove or 6 groove barrel?  There were some 8-43 barrels that were 6 groove.
OG is for Ogden Arsenal, usually meaning it went through the rebuild program.  
Do you know what the barrel reading are?  Do you know what the buttplate looks like to determine if it us a SC or Remington?  
Not that it would make any difference at this point but finding a SC bolt is not difficult and should be less than $30.  
You can always offer less but $700 is not a bad price considering today's market.  Not a collector's safe queen but should be a good shooter for vintage matches.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:35:06 PM EDT
[#5]
It is a 6 groove barrel. I don't know what the reading is but I did the bullet test and it still has a lot of life left in it. Bore is bright with good rifling. I ended up picking it up. We worked out a trade. An AR I had 500 in, 2 mags, and $150 for it. I'm not really sure where to check to see if it is a SC buttplate. I didn't see any markings on it but haven't taken it off to check the back.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 12:47:12 AM EDT
[#6]
The 6 groove barrel is a nice addition.  It doesn't really add much value other than being interesting.  A picture of the buttplate would help.  A SC buttplate has a larger checkering pattern that the Remington buttplate.  Both are stamped.  Go to vishooter.net/m1903.html and look at some of the pictures and explanation of the differences on the parts.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 11:51:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Two for the price of one
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 11:54:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Buy it

Edit: Good trade
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top