Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2010 6:54:58 PM EDT

Above rifle came with cleaning rod and hangers.  Paid $70.

Below rifle came with cleaning rod and dog collars.  Paid $80.

Both rifles came from the same auction.  Neither rifle was listed in the auction ad which kept other crufflers away.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:48:42 PM EDT
[#1]
You win some. You lose some. Looks like your day was all win! VERY COOL MEGA SCORE!
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:52:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Love that dark color stock!  My faux sniper may be getting a make-over...
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:54:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm always very happy for my C&R brothers when they are able to pick up "junk" Mosins for less than $100.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:00:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Dude, all. I can say is I so HATE you!

I'm not going to be the only one, either.

just one of those for under $100 is a spectacular deal. BOTH under $200 is unbelievable luck.

GREAT scores, man!
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:10:50 PM EDT
[#5]
What would be asking price if you were to sell those?

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:18:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I've been offered $300 for each and still have them, what they are truly worth I don't know.  Maybe I should have sold them for that.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:31:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Good Score. Local estate auctions is where I have picked up most of my C&R collection.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:24:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've been offered $300 for each and still have them, what they are truly worth I don't know.  Maybe I should have sold them for that.

I'm willing to bet that, if you put them on Gunbroker, they would likely sell for nearly double that. Especially the P-26 marked rifle.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:59:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I wouldn't have.

No question about it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 10:11:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Okay, someone has to...

So what am I looking at? Other than two rather nice looking rifles. A couple of Finns?

Sure sounds like you scored. Congrats!
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:11:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Okay, someone has to...

So what am I looking at? Other than two rather nice looking rifles. A couple of Finns?

yep. from the search, i found out that, (i could be incorrect)

top is a finn relined rifle.

bottom is a tikka.

great deal!
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:26:45 PM EDT
[#12]
WOW! Congratulations on an incredible score! Went into the auction like Indiana Jones, but this time you came out with the Ark!
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:26:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Okay, someone has to...

This first Model 91 is referred to as a P-26.  Although not rated on the below
mentioned site for rarity, it easily rates an 8 or higher.  The Finns took worn out barrels
and relined them using a process developed by the Italians.  Only 13,000
barrels between 1925-1927 received this treatment.  P-26 denotes this
barrel was re-lined in 1926.
The second MN Model 91 is a Puolustuslaitos marked Tikka and on a scale of 1 - 10, it is rated an 8.  Source http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinRarity.htm
Puolustuslaitos is Finn for Defense Department, this mark was used for two months only in 1942.  I have no idea how many rifles were stamped in that two month period, but in 11 years of collecting mil-surps, this is possibly only the second one I've seen in person.
One of the rifles has the large round butt stock cartouche and I believe it's a Westinghouse walnut butt.  Both rifles are two piece stocks.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:35:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Theo has done his research well.  The rarity scale on Ted's site is interesting and allows for some flexibility- it hasn't been updated in years but is good to use as a general rule of thumb.  

As for the P-26, the Finn who espoused relining the bores based on the Salerno method was ridiculed at the time by his competitor who was as spiteful as they come.  It wasn't until later on that he was vindicated as the liners were sturdy, held up well, and performed the task they were intended to perform.  You can find rifles stamped P-25, P-26, and P-27.  I believe there has been a few, literally, that have been spotted in the wild stamped P-24 but they are extremely rare.  As for value, I would say $300 would be a good beginning asking price and values can fluctuate greatly.  Gunbroker values for the P series of rifles have gone from $300 to $500 on average; anything over is a bonus big time.  $300-$400 is about right.

The other one (please don't ask me to twist my fingers and get cramps typing Finn) is a very nice Tikka M-91.  The Puolustuslaitos stamped one (ah, my fingers!) gets extra brownie points solely due to the stamp.  I own about 70 Finn Mosins and not one of them is stamped thusly.  One of these days- they're out there, I just haven't been hot to have one otherwise I would already have one.  The value of a Tikka M-91 without that stamp would be around the $200-$300 range.  With the stamp you're probably looking at $250-$350 range $400 being a great day for the seller.  

Having said all that, Theo, if you EVER decide to sell the Tikka you WILL be calling me first, right buddy?  Right?

Regards,
Eric
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:16:34 PM EDT
[#15]
First dibs on the Tikka is yours preachere as long as I'm alive.  Can't help you after that.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:15:31 PM EDT
[#16]
a hell of a score on two really awesome rifles
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:35:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
First dibs on the Tikka is yours preachere as long as I'm alive.  Can't help you after that.  

And how is that sweet wife of yours? You tell Joni her Dutch pal will be there for her when the dark days descend .

Dutch - what are friends for?

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:50:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And how is that sweet wife of yours? You tell Joni her Dutch pal will be there for her when the dark days descend .

Dutch - what are friends for?

Your timing couldn't be better Jodie, we are discussing separation.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top